Message for Harvey, my Saxophone Consultant:

Message for Harvey, my Saxophone Consultant:

May 16th, 2012, 1:52 am #1

HEY HARV,

Today I rented a new Yamaha YAS-200AD Student Alto Sax, (with option to buy within 90 days at a greatly reduced price, with rentals applied toward the purchase.)

I've been reading comments about the horn on saxophone forums and discussion groups, and not one negative comment was made regarding the YAS-200AD. (It's the same horn as the discontinued YAS-23)

I'll be self-teaching for awhile until my band instrument instructor resumes classes in August.

Yours in E-flat,
Hal

Last edited by tracer69 on May 16th, 2012, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2012, 3:35 am #2

If you want REAL quality, find a used YAS 23 and and stick with it!

Heck, any Yamaha horn is going to be solid. They tend to be bright sounding until you get into the top end horns of the brand. The 875 and so on.

All this bopping around between instruments isn't getting you anywhere. Pick something and practice every single day. Every day, every weekend, every chance you have free time. Hear me? Half an hour each day the first week and an hour each day from the second week on until you can play Paganini's Caprice 24. Not as good as Raaf Hekkema, but, you know, pretty good.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pag ... af+hekkema

Harv

May 16th, 2012, 3:36 pm #3

I just seem to have a short attention span when it comes to learning to read music...it's so damn BORING!

First it was the Tenor Sax, then the Baritone Horn, then the Clarinet, and now an Alto...all in the space of a Month!

They're all the same...after spending an hour with each instrument, I totally lose interest.

Now when it comes to actually PLAYING music..I can do that pretty well when I'm playing piano by ear, or playing guitar chord progressions by ear, or doing walking bass runs by ear, as long as it's in a simple key!

I'm no music reader and never will be, so I might as well return that Chinese sax today and get back into Astronomy and building Lightning Machines...I'm good at that!

Tomorrow night we have Public Outreach program at our Observatory, where I'll be showing astronomical objects to 300 kids with my new $3500 computerized telescope!

That's it...

HERE'S MY HORN:

Last edited by tracer69 on May 16th, 2012, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2012, 4:22 pm #4

when I wanted to learn to do circular breathing I just practiced 10 min. in the morning and 10 min. in the afternoon, I did not seem to be making a lick of progress, until the afternoon of day 90, when it just fell into place, I was amazed.

May 16th, 2012, 4:36 pm #5

... I'll be 76 in July, and I'd rather continue building on my 50 years as an Amateur Astronomer, and not take up something that will just frustrate me...that's not the way to enjoy my Retirement!

Conventional breathing has kept me alive this long.....I don't have to do it in Circles!

Hal

May 17th, 2012, 11:19 pm #6

I just seem to have a short attention span when it comes to learning to read music...it's so damn BORING!

First it was the Tenor Sax, then the Baritone Horn, then the Clarinet, and now an Alto...all in the space of a Month!

They're all the same...after spending an hour with each instrument, I totally lose interest.

Now when it comes to actually PLAYING music..I can do that pretty well when I'm playing piano by ear, or playing guitar chord progressions by ear, or doing walking bass runs by ear, as long as it's in a simple key!

I'm no music reader and never will be, so I might as well return that Chinese sax today and get back into Astronomy and building Lightning Machines...I'm good at that!

Tomorrow night we have Public Outreach program at our Observatory, where I'll be showing astronomical objects to 300 kids with my new $3500 computerized telescope!

That's it...

HERE'S MY HORN:

Is reading instructions to make your telescope work, boring?

Or scanning the sky to find a star which is just sitting there so you can stare at it? While it's just sitting there?

No, I can't blame you. The majesty of the skies are limited only by our finite abilities to probe them.

Harv

May 18th, 2012, 12:06 am #7

Yes, reading musical notes on a staff is eminently boring to me, as I have stated.

However:

Reading the instructions on how to initialize my new telescope's onboard object-locating computer is EXCITING!

I've had two sessions with it so far in my backyard, and the results have exceeded my expectations, so tonight's Outreach with 300 kids from local schools should be a qualified success!

It's all a matter of ACHIEVING WHAT YOU WISH TO ACHIEVE, with brief, focused technical instructions, that lead to fulfillment!

Harold Pollner
Apple Valley, CA

May 18th, 2012, 1:07 am #8

Sorta like sex uh HAL?........LOL..
Last edited by boscoebrea on May 18th, 2012, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 18th, 2012, 1:40 am #9

Yes, reading musical notes on a staff is eminently boring to me, as I have stated.

However:

Reading the instructions on how to initialize my new telescope's onboard object-locating computer is EXCITING!

I've had two sessions with it so far in my backyard, and the results have exceeded my expectations, so tonight's Outreach with 300 kids from local schools should be a qualified success!

It's all a matter of ACHIEVING WHAT YOU WISH TO ACHIEVE, with brief, focused technical instructions, that lead to fulfillment!

Harold Pollner
Apple Valley, CA
The point was already made. In several posts between us. It's just that you haven't got up to speed yet until my last post, sir. The point once again was that ya cain't jes' step inta somethin and think ya kin know it and then make exkuses fer not learnin it the right way er takin the time to. Jes caus yer findin it diffikulter with time consumshun ta do what ya thought weren't hard and then come ta find, is.

(While some people can proficiently accomplish such things, it's not often and limited in scope to very specific skill sets, but certainly not all. That would be beyond rare.)

You said it took you thirty years was it(?) to build the knowlege base of astronomy to get where you are. Be satisfied, Hal.

Harv

May 18th, 2012, 2:33 pm #10

...anything else?

Harry