mentoring

mentoring

October 30th, 2010, 2:01 pm #1

there is always talk about how to get and keep new shooters. here is my idea. when a new guy comes in we normally put him with an experienced shooter for his first match but then seem to put him with a different shooter every match and kind of forget about him. How about assigning a mentor to stay with that shooter for six months or so? that way the experienced shooter gets to know the new guy and his deficits and can better teach him. the two shooters can stay in contact between matches as well. certainly not perfect but could work well if a new shooter is willing to stay with it. of course this requires that the mentor be willing and would require a comitment to it.

just an idea. now lets hear what you think.

btw, i would be willing to mentor a new shooter till he beats me.
Last edited by LARRYPIRRONE1 on October 30th, 2010, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-bp

October 30th, 2010, 3:25 pm #2

ed canoles was my default mentor, and still is, sort-of, but to be fair, i was always put with at least one shooter who took on the job of mentor, and (at least at difta) it seems that there is always a mentor avaliable just when you need one.

making it 'official' might even be better

-bp

October 30th, 2010, 4:16 pm #3

there is always talk about how to get and keep new shooters. here is my idea. when a new guy comes in we normally put him with an experienced shooter for his first match but then seem to put him with a different shooter every match and kind of forget about him. How about assigning a mentor to stay with that shooter for six months or so? that way the experienced shooter gets to know the new guy and his deficits and can better teach him. the two shooters can stay in contact between matches as well. certainly not perfect but could work well if a new shooter is willing to stay with it. of course this requires that the mentor be willing and would require a comitment to it.

Always willing to help someone else get addicted to this game.

Paul Bishop
http://paulbcustomstock.weebly.com/

lhd

October 30th, 2010, 6:03 pm #4

I think new shooters can learn more by being assigned randomly to a mix of shooters. The mentor/student thing for six months could get pretty strained. Get paired with the wrong guy for six months and well, maybe you don't even make it the full six months.

The very first few matches a new guy experiences are among the most exciting and enjoyable, and I suspect that could be diminished if a guy assigned to mentor him got too serious or pushy.

One of the neatest things about FT shooting is you get to shoot with different folks each time, getting to know them as well as observe their styles. I like shooting with new shooters, and I like shooting with some of our more experienced ones as well. This variety is part of the game, and lets us get to know each person in the club better.

Also, there's this: IF a new guy ended up shooting pretty well after a bit, what if his "mentor" started crowing about how it was ALL due to how good his "teacher" was? That rarely goes over real well with a "student".

October 30th, 2010, 6:19 pm #5

via a variety of shooters that can offer different perspectives, advice and experience that they can process and make their decisions on.

Some shooters have a "Death Before Dishonor" approach, competition and winning is everything...

Other shooters are more of I'm here to shoot my pellet gun and have some fun, hopefully I can knock a few down today and maybe a couple more next time, either way, I'm just here to have fun shooting my gun and meeting some like minded folks!

Other shooters fall in between and ALL have something to offer a new shooter imho...

Regards,

Tony

October 30th, 2010, 8:55 pm #6

I think new shooters can learn more by being assigned randomly to a mix of shooters. The mentor/student thing for six months could get pretty strained. Get paired with the wrong guy for six months and well, maybe you don't even make it the full six months.

The very first few matches a new guy experiences are among the most exciting and enjoyable, and I suspect that could be diminished if a guy assigned to mentor him got too serious or pushy.

One of the neatest things about FT shooting is you get to shoot with different folks each time, getting to know them as well as observe their styles. I like shooting with new shooters, and I like shooting with some of our more experienced ones as well. This variety is part of the game, and lets us get to know each person in the club better.

Also, there's this: IF a new guy ended up shooting pretty well after a bit, what if his "mentor" started crowing about how it was ALL due to how good his "teacher" was? That rarely goes over real well with a "student".

picking the right mentor. And the newbie doesn't have to be paired with him every match, but the mentor will check on him/her during the day.... offer advice, etc. Spend some time after the match answering questions, showing some techniques, etc. It's what Beammeupscotty did for me when I first started. I came back.

BS

October 30th, 2010, 10:22 pm #7

I posted this over on our CASA Delphi Forum but here is a copy.

My initial reflection on this idea is mixed. I like the idea of mentoring but also feel that a new shooter needs to get input from several seasoned shooters not just one. Reason being it may skew there approach to the game. I sort of feel is the match directors responsibility to see to it that new shooters are matched up with shooters that can help the most. It is also the responsibility of all club officers to make contact and assist with all new shooters development. I also feel that after about 3 or 4 matches any new shooter who is at all into the sport will be fine and can then be set free to shoot with anyone.

Just my initial thoughts,

" The world is not really round It is full of Peaks and Valleys"
Dave F.

October 30th, 2010, 11:00 pm #8

maybe 6 months is a little more than necessary. nt

October 31st, 2010, 12:22 am #9

[/IMG]
Last edited by richwoods on October 31st, 2010, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 31st, 2010, 1:40 am #10

Regards,

Tony