Medical experts. Pulmonary embolism. How likely

Medical experts. Pulmonary embolism. How likely

May 21st, 2012, 12:19 pm #1

am I to develop one while on a blood thinner? Can anything be done if I do get another one? My PT is kept around 3 since I am at high risk for clots. Just a fyi.

We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and then tax it out of business? - Will Rogers

May 21st, 2012, 2:51 pm #2

My research shows the use of a blood thinner as being the primary tool listed for both prevention of and treatment for a pulmonary embolism.

Under the heading of "Pulmonary Embolism", Wikipedia lists "Anticoagulation" as item #1 under "Treatment".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_ ... oagulation

Of course, we know that prevention is definitely to be preferred over treatment. So, under the heading of "Prevention", The Mayo Clinic's article also lists the use of an anticoagulant as item #1 on its list. But, it does add several others that may also help.

You'll probably want to review the Mayo article's list if you don't know all of those items already. You may be able to implement some of them into your personal lifestyle and thus lower your risk. It also makes a person feel good if they see that their doctor has already advised them about those things. If in doubt about the use or validity of any of them for your individual circumstances, however, you should always ask your doctor.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pulmon ... prevention

I'm just a non-professional with an above-average amount of medical research in his layman's background, but HTH.

Happy Shooting!

Ed, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

May 21st, 2012, 2:57 pm #3

am I to develop one while on a blood thinner? Can anything be done if I do get another one? My PT is kept around 3 since I am at high risk for clots. Just a fyi.

We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and then tax it out of business? - Will Rogers
Blood thinners or used when a person gets a PE, Levenox being one of them, and that's injected into the skin for slow release in the abdomen.

Again a thinner is used when you get blood clots or are likely to get clots, lie from atrial fibrillation that may form in the heart.

Can't say anything else about you and won't.

With blood THINNERS, you're more likely to get...ulcers in the stomach/intestinal bleed, meaning dark stool, or cuts that won't stop bleeding or easy bruising. NOT a PE usually.

Usually the PT or PTT is not the normal gauge, only used with the INR. That's a more universally used test than the pt/ptt.

see your doc, Im NOT one.

May 21st, 2012, 5:16 pm #4

I'm currently on 9.5 mg of Warfarin. I wear compression stockings. I would use the pneumatic compression gizmo if it weren't so expensive. I have filters in both my Superior & Inferior Vena Cava. Originally I thought I could never have another clot once on Warfarin. My doctor tells me it is still possible. I may have to give him a call...much as I don't want to...because I am having some pain by my right collar bone.

My first pulmonary embolism came from a clot that migrated from my leg. It was the first instance I had of blood clotting. There was pain high in my right shoulder when I laid on my right side. Kinda like a stitch in the side that running can sometimes cause. This pain is sharper, and has been occurring off-and-on since getting up this morning.

Far as I know, treating a blot clot is done with blood thinners. I'm already taking one, so if I should get another clot, how would it be treated?

BTW, clots are sometimes treated by a 48 hour high dose of blood thinners. Forget the name the doctor called it. In my case that was impossible since the second time I was on a blood thinner I wound up with a subdural hematoma. From then until the last clot, I had to let Mother Nature take her own course. I didn't know it until my last doctor appointment, but apparently I almost lost the leg. At least that is what my doctor told his new PA. They neglected to mention it to me in the hospital. They did operate which I found out later is very rare. The decision to put me on a blood thinner was a chance the doctors decide had to be taken.

May 21st, 2012, 6:32 pm #5

Some things can't wait. I say this is one of them. I hope you've called already. Either that or get yourself to an ER.

Better safe than sorry. Besides, you're having symptoms.

Happy Shooting!

Ed, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

May 21st, 2012, 10:31 pm #6

2x on call now!!! Your body is giving you a message. -nt

May 22nd, 2012, 12:29 am #7

first thing tomorrow morning. Don't think the clot is in my lung. Front of chest is swelled a bit where the pain comes. I didn't notice it until the owner where I work my second job pointed it out. I'm guessing the clot (if there is one) is just below the surface.

I know I didn't hurt my shoulder over the weekend. Spent most of it being a couch potato. 60 hrs of work plus 11 hrs of travel time at my age is enough. I needed the rest.

Guys, thank you for the advice. Knew what I should do, but was hoping to avoid doing it. Today was the first day of the other programmer's 2 week vacation. I don't want to miss any more time than absolutely necessary.