Maybe now I will get this project off the shelf ...a project begins

Maybe now I will get this project off the shelf ...a project begins

April 1st, 2012, 1:34 am #1

Picked up a surplus air driven belt grinder. With the parts from this I should be on the short route
to that long belt grinder I've been planning on making.
This thing was huge and almost unused and to heavy to use without a tool balancer.

So the sum of all parts is equal to the whole so this should be a good start, I want to replace the air
motor with an electric motor and stretch out the rollers to use a longer belt, the drive roller is about
2 and 1/2" diameter which is threaded the same as my angle grinder. I will have to work around that or
replace it. The motor I have is 1 1/4 hp, 3400 rpm which would run about 2225 fpm maybe to slow but the
other goodies should be easily usable. The small tension roller could be handy for small radius grinds.
I suspect that I will need more feet per minute which will require a larger drive wheel. Any suggestions
on belt speed before I get to far into this, the main use will be grinding forged blades or blades form
flat stock.

Maybe I could still use this with a cup wheel or wire brush 7200 rpm direct drive.

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

April 1st, 2012, 3:17 am #2

These type belt grinders come up occasionally on Craigslist.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/2932936296.html

Haywire

April 1st, 2012, 3:09 pm #3

I have a diy affliction even when sometimes I could do better by buying I tend to go the do it myself
route anyway, but then that is half the fun for me. I do have a Harbour Freight 1X30 which has been
great for the $, but it has past its life expectancy.
The icing on the cake and also part of the fun is,so far I haven't spent a dime on this project and
probably wont till I start welding and adding nuts and bolts. Again that is just part of the game.

Call it "recreational therapy",

This was a good deal, just smaller than I need

This was free

Also scored a small drill press since then.

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

April 1st, 2012, 7:58 pm #4

I went this way with my belt grinder project. I think I'm in it for @ $800 with wheels and all.

http://www.polarbearforge.com/grinder_kit.html

Haywire

April 1st, 2012, 7:59 pm #5

I have a diy affliction even when sometimes I could do better by buying I tend to go the do it myself
route anyway, but then that is half the fun for me. I do have a Harbour Freight 1X30 which has been
The icing on the cake and also part of the fun is,so far I haven't spent a dime on this project and
probably wont till I start welding and adding nuts and bolts. Again that is just part of the game.

This was free

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

nt
Last edited by haywire1 on April 1st, 2012, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 7:59 pm #6

This was free

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

nt
Last edited by haywire1 on April 1st, 2012, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 7:59 pm #7

This was free

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

nt
Last edited by haywire1 on April 1st, 2012, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 11:26 pm #8

With the parts from the air grinder I'm halfway there the belt adjuster and tensioner can be used
I will just have to adjust distances to fit the size belt I want to use. I already have a bunch of
metal tubing so I'm pretty well committed to at least try.

I looked at the "Grinder in a box" you mentioned and that would be a good option and, since the motor
in that one is approximately the same speed as mine now I know what size drive wheel I need

THANKS

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS