Match Results - Dallas Field Target Match, Saturday Feb10, 2018

Match Results - Dallas Field Target Match, Saturday Feb10, 2018

February 12th, 2018, 12:47 am #1

We set our Feb match time at 11 am, hoping for a traditional morning warm-up to a daily high. But Mother Nature threw us a real curve… the opposite occurred, with the day’s high at daybreak (44°), falling to 33° by match time. The cold front moving through also brought 15-20mph Northern breezes. It reminded a few of us of Ennice Nats, without the rain.

Look at this bundled crew… Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Fifteen RSVPs dwindled to 11 intrepid shooters wearing several layers, and still our hands ached from the piercing cold. As usual, I forgot to bring along some “Hot Hands” chemical warmers…

The match comprised 60 shots over 13 lanes, a mixture of nine, 2 target lanes, and four lanes of 3 targets. Two forced positions lanes featured 4-shots kneeling, 4-shots standing. The Troyer was 30.1, discounting any wind. SD was 7.95, with average KZ of 1.15” and average distance of 31.6yds.

Jerry Cox…

Since the changeover to 16x scopes permitted in Hunter Class, and the limited time people have had to set-up and practice, it was decided to provide the ranges to all targets. Shooters could use the data, or not, as they chose. Scores did not seem affected one way or the other.

Cliff Montgomery…

Among the eight Hunter shooters, Bob Dye led with a 50/60, followed closely at 48 by Paul Kocurek, and Kevin Enzian with 45. Jim Clarke ventured the long drive from S. Texas, to post a 46 in Hunter Piston.

Not only did Matt Sawyer bring the same gun to two consecutive matches (really?), it was a PCP to boot, shooting a fine 47 in WFTF-PCP. Here’s Proof…

Matt Sawyer shooting a…. PCP!

In WFTF Piston, Jeff Cloud scored 40, and Cliff Montgomery posted a 20

A hearty welcome to two new shooters, Mike Sohner and Daniel Rowe. I hope you come back in the Spring when it will be much warmer, Saturday, April 14th, at 9:00am

Results…

February 12th, 2018, 2:12 am #2

Thanks again for great match, I had fun and haven't had any cold weather training in quite some time! Its always a pleasure to shoot with you guys I'm happy we still had a good size to to freeze with. Lol

February 12th, 2018, 2:32 am #3

We set our Feb match time at 11 am, hoping for a traditional morning warm-up to a daily high. But Mother Nature threw us a real curve… the opposite occurred, with the day’s high at daybreak (44°), falling to 33° by match time. The cold front moving through also brought 15-20mph Northern breezes. It reminded a few of us of Ennice Nats, without the rain.

Fifteen RSVPs dwindled to 11 intrepid shooters wearing several layers, and still our hands ached from the piercing cold. As usual, I forgot to bring along some “Hot Hands” chemical warmers…

The match comprised 60 shots over 13 lanes, a mixture of nine, 2 target lanes, and four lanes of 3 targets. Two forced positions lanes featured 4-shots kneeling, 4-shots standing. The Troyer was 30.1, discounting any wind. SD was 7.95, with average KZ of 1.15” and average distance of 31.6yds.

Jerry Cox…

Since the changeover to 16x scopes permitted in Hunter Class, and the limited time people have had to set-up and practice, it was decided to provide the ranges to all targets. Shooters could use the data, or not, as they chose. Scores did not seem affected one way or the other.

Cliff Montgomery…

Among the eight Hunter shooters, Bob Dye led with a 50/60, followed closely at 48 by Paul Kocurek, and Kevin Enzian with 45. Jim Clarke ventured the long drive from S. Texas, to post a 46 in Hunter Piston.

Not only did Matt Sawyer bring the same gun to two consecutive matches (really?), it was a PCP to boot, shooting a fine 47 in WFTF-PCP. Here’s Proof…

A hearty welcome to two new shooters, Mike Sohner and Daniel Rowe. I hope you come back in the Spring when it will be much warmer, Saturday, April 14th, at 9:00am

Results…

I took the dog out about 8:00 that morning and felt the temperature dropping, me and him both decided we weren't getting out in this and went back in by the fire.

Good shooting.

February 12th, 2018, 3:21 am #4

Jerry Cox…

Cliff Montgomery…

Results…

Here's a true story. Many years ago when I was a degenerate golfer, I was playing at a course in Arlington (I think it was Ditto). It was just over freezing and it kept sleeting off and on. 3 older gentlemen were in my group, and as we waited to tee off on a hole that bordered the public road, one of the old timers looked at the road and saw a guy jogging.

As we stood there shivering with the prospect of 3 more hours of this misery ahead of us, the old fart turned back to us and said "Look at that idiot".

He was dead serious, but it was one of the funniest things I ever heard uttered on a golf course.

I spent Saturday walking on roofs and crawling through crawlspaces out in the country, freezing my butt off, but when I look at the group photo above, all I can think is "Look at those ..."

See you guys next time.

February 12th, 2018, 4:03 am #5

Jerry Cox…

Cliff Montgomery…

Results…

No matter how hard you try, Mother Nature just laughs. It was still fun even with our extremities frozen and numb by the end of the match. Bob, correct me if I am wrong but that even though every lane was cold, I don't think we had any "cold lines". Or maybe everyone was so looking forward to the end of the match that they didn't want to delay it with a silly cold line.

Jim Clarke and I were squadded with one of the new shooters (Daniel Rowe) and he seemed to have a good time even though he had only gotten his rifle and scope recently and didn't have much time to set it up for FT, he did good for a newbie. Heck, he even got 50% on standing! I'll take that any day.

Thanks to everyone for helping to clean up after the match and load the equipment in the truck. I know everyone was anxious to get back to their cars to pump up the heat. Greatly appreciated.

February 12th, 2018, 4:05 am #6

I took the dog out about 8:00 that morning and felt the temperature dropping, me and him both decided we weren't getting out in this and went back in by the fire.

Good shooting.
Hope to see you in couple of weeks at ASC (unless, of course, the temps are below 60)

February 12th, 2018, 4:09 am #7

Thanks again for great match, I had fun and haven't had any cold weather training in quite some time! Its always a pleasure to shoot with you guys I'm happy we still had a good size to to freeze with. Lol
Great seeing you again, Matt. Not looking forward to the day when you permanently leave balmy Texas for the north country. Been fun having you at our matches and Bob and I thoroughly enjoyed having you join us on the road trip to Nationals in Phoenix.

February 12th, 2018, 12:29 pm #8

No matter how hard you try, Mother Nature just laughs. It was still fun even with our extremities frozen and numb by the end of the match. Bob, correct me if I am wrong but that even though every lane was cold, I don't think we had any "cold lines". Or maybe everyone was so looking forward to the end of the match that they didn't want to delay it with a silly cold line.

Jim Clarke and I were squadded with one of the new shooters (Daniel Rowe) and he seemed to have a good time even though he had only gotten his rifle and scope recently and didn't have much time to set it up for FT, he did good for a newbie. Heck, he even got 50% on standing! I'll take that any day.

Thanks to everyone for helping to clean up after the match and load the equipment in the truck. I know everyone was anxious to get back to their cars to pump up the heat. Greatly appreciated.

What a difference a single letter makes.. All the LANES were cold, but we didn't have any cold LINES. I was so frozen, I didn't even notice.

I also didn't see a single bird -- or any other wildlife -- on the range. Too chilly for them, too.
Last edited by MB-BOB on February 12th, 2018, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 12th, 2018, 2:04 pm #9

Jerry Cox…

Cliff Montgomery…

Results…

Great shooting Jim Clarke. That 2 matches in a row where you shot high piston and scored right up there with the PCP crowd. I was at work on Saturday and wondered how it was going. When I left my house at 5:30am the wind was howling and a little above freezing.

February 13th, 2018, 1:26 pm #10

conveying some history on out Northeast Blue balls shoots. By the way, We haven'nt had one of those in a couple years. Come back Matt, we miss you and Lenny's winter events. LOL!!! Nice to see bare ground again. (In Texas)
Last edited by dayjd2 on February 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.