Match Report - Owl Hollow - Franklin, TN - 07/21/2012

Match Report - Owl Hollow - Franklin, TN - 07/21/2012

July 22nd, 2012, 3:54 am #1

We held the first official Owl Hollow Gun Club - Field Target Match today near Franklin, TN. The weather turned out very nice for the match. We started out with an overcast morning that helped to shade us a bit from the sun. However, by noon, the sun was brightly shining and blessed us all with a great tan.

We had nine shooters show up to partake in the day of knocking down metal critters. A number of our regular Tennessee and Alabama shooters had other plans, so they weren't able to make this one. However, we hope they can all be there next time.

We set out a course of ten lanes with two targets per lane. Each shooter took three shots per target, so we ended up with a full 60 shot match. I set out about half of the targets yesterday afternoon, and Pat O'Brien graciously provided the rest of the targets before sight in this morning. Everyone pitched in and helped to finish out the course, and we were ready to start the match by 10:00 AM.

Our course consisted of eight lanes in an open field, with two lanes cut into the wooded area adjacent to the field. Although the eight lanes were in an open field, they were bordered on each side by a wooded area. We found that this created some really strange and tricky wind action out on some of the longer range targets. As the day progressed, so did the winds. By the time we ended the match, we had some pretty good gusts of wind to contend with.

This course ended up being a bit difficult. As a matter of fact, we ended up with a fairly difficult kneeing lane that featured a 53 yard kneeling target in the open field. Several others were pretty small as well for their respective distance. The thing about that is that we all had a part in setting up the course. So, it really makes things a challenge for us all, and I think in the end we will become better shooters with the practice that we are getting. I had fun, even if I did miss that dang kneeler two out of three!

This turned out to be the maiden match for my new TM1000 WFTF rifle. I have been anxiously awaiting the day that I could put my TM to the test in competition, and I can say that I was not disappointed! The rifle functioned flawlessly. It seems to really like JSB Express pellets, as those performed well today in the wind.

It was great to see Martin and Sandra Rutterford out shooting with us today. They have been an ever present part of helping out at past GOB club matches. They are now shooting regularly with us and seem to being progressing well. We also enjoyed the company of David Slade and Dottie Berry at the match. They made the trip up from Minor Hill, and we won't mention that Dottie took bragging rights back with the higher of the two scores today. (Good shooting Dottie!) Also, my buddie Steve Vines made it over from Antioch today. As it turned out, Steve had to swap his regular work schedule around to shoot with us today. I sure am glad old Steve has his priorities right and made the match!

Once we finished up the match, everyone pitched in to help take down the course. I really appreciate the help from the great bunch of guys and gals that shoot with us here in middle Tennessee! It really makes things run so smooth and almost effortless. Thanks to each shooter that helped with set up and take down after the match. Also, a big thanks to Charlie Haffner for providing the land where the match was held. (Just look out Charlie, we're gonna get you hooked on Field Target!)

The results are posted below from the match. I hope eveyone enjoyed our little day of Field Target in middle Tennessee. We will be having another match before too long. So, stay tuned here and we will announce the details well in advance. We hope more of you guys and girls will make it out to shoot with us next time!

Take care,

Harold Rushton

Match Results
WFTF
Harold Rushton------------------------------55
David Slade ----------------------------------44
Cliff Smith -------------------------------------35

PCP
Dottie Berry -----------------------------------47
Pat O'Brien ------------------------------------42
Martin Rutterford -----------------------------35
Sandra Rutterford ----------------------------25

Piston
Charles Garvey -------------------------------48
Steve Vines (WFTF Piston)----------------40

Pics from the match today
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Yeah, this lane was a little tough for a kneeler...
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by Thepointman on July 22nd, 2012, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harold Rushton

July 22nd, 2012, 4:52 am #2

And a few classy ladies, too!

Way to go, Dottie, show 'em boys how it is done...lol..

Nice to see my ol' pals having fun in the sun!

Looks like a great day was had by all...

Ol' TV

July 22nd, 2012, 4:53 am #3

We held the first official Owl Hollow Gun Club - Field Target Match today near Franklin, TN. The weather turned out very nice for the match. We started out with an overcast morning that helped to shade us a bit from the sun. However, by noon, the sun was brightly shining and blessed us all with a great tan.

We had nine shooters show up to partake in the day of knocking down metal critters. A number of our regular Tennessee and Alabama shooters had other plans, so they weren't able to make this one. However, we hope they can all be there next time.

We set out a course of ten lanes with two targets per lane. Each shooter took three shots per target, so we ended up with a full 60 shot match. I set out about half of the targets yesterday afternoon, and Pat O'Brien graciously provided the rest of the targets before sight in this morning. Everyone pitched in and helped to finish out the course, and we were ready to start the match by 10:00 AM.

Our course consisted of eight lanes in an open field, with two lanes cut into the wooded area adjacent to the field. Although the eight lanes were in an open field, they were bordered on each side by a wooded area. We found that this created some really strange and tricky wind action out on some of the longer range targets. As the day progressed, so did the winds. By the time we ended the match, we had some pretty good gusts of wind to contend with.

This course ended up being a bit difficult. As a matter of fact, we ended up with a fairly difficult kneeing lane that featured a 53 yard kneeling target in the open field. Several others were pretty small as well for their respective distance. The thing about that is that we all had a part in setting up the course. So, it really makes things a challenge for us all, and I think in the end we will become better shooters with the practice that we are getting. I had fun, even if I did miss that dang kneeler two out of three!

This turned out to be the maiden match for my new TM1000 WFTF rifle. I have been anxiously awaiting the day that I could put my TM to the test in competition, and I can say that I was not disappointed! The rifle functioned flawlessly. It seems to really like JSB Express pellets, as those performed well today in the wind.

It was great to see Martin and Sandra Rutterford out shooting with us today. They have been an ever present part of helping out at past GOB club matches. They are now shooting regularly with us and seem to being progressing well. We also enjoyed the company of David Slade and Dottie Berry at the match. They made the trip up from Minor Hill, and we won't mention that Dottie took bragging rights back with the higher of the two scores today. (Good shooting Dottie!) Also, my buddie Steve Vines made it over from Antioch today. As it turned out, Steve had to swap his regular work schedule around to shoot with us today. I sure am glad old Steve has his priorities right and made the match!

Once we finished up the match, everyone pitched in to help take down the course. I really appreciate the help from the great bunch of guys and gals that shoot with us here in middle Tennessee! It really makes things run so smooth and almost effortless. Thanks to each shooter that helped with set up and take down after the match. Also, a big thanks to Charlie Haffner for providing the land where the match was held. (Just look out Charlie, we're gonna get you hooked on Field Target!)

The results are posted below from the match. I hope eveyone enjoyed our little day of Field Target in middle Tennessee. We will be having another match before too long. So, stay tuned here and we will announce the details well in advance. We hope more of you guys and girls will make it out to shoot with us next time!

Take care,

Harold Rushton

Match Results
WFTF

PCP

Piston

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

at the new venue. Need I say good shooting? I am happy to see that you had a decent turn out for a first time event. I am sure that the numbers will grow. The open field shooting looks more like what we have here at home....with the "walls" on both side it does make for some tricky conditions. Okay...I will say it here: Great shooting!

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

July 22nd, 2012, 5:52 am #4

Take care,

Harold Rushton

Match Results
WFTF

PCP

Piston

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thankyou both for setting this up. Lots of possibilities.

Last edited by stevevines on July 22nd, 2012, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 22nd, 2012, 6:12 am #5

And a few classy ladies, too!

Way to go, Dottie, show 'em boys how it is done...lol..

Nice to see my ol' pals having fun in the sun!

Looks like a great day was had by all...

Ol' TV
Where you at??

July 22nd, 2012, 10:13 am #6

Take care,

Harold Rushton

Match Results
WFTF

PCP

Piston

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

That TM worked pretty good for you! Then what gun doesn't in your hands! Looks like a very nice place to shoot.

July 22nd, 2012, 7:18 pm #7

Thankyou both for setting this up. Lots of possibilities.

Pictures looked real good also. I can see where you would have worked on your tan; there does appear to be shade anywhere except behind you under the canopy.

I also love the laminated stock on your TM. Gotta talk to Martin about that, although mine seems to be working just fine now.

Keep up the good work.
Mark

July 22nd, 2012, 7:46 pm #8

Take care,

Harold Rushton

Match Results
WFTF

PCP

Piston

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And some fine shooting!

Congrats to all!

Somewhat surprised to see Cliff Smith shooting a PCP, life's changes, I guess, just keep on shooting Cliff!

Congrats and best wishes to Owl Hollow FT Club, many more matches and a healthy membership!

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

July 23rd, 2012, 12:07 am #9

We had a great time. I am looking forward to the next match, and shootIng with a great bunch of folks again. Our match location is centrally located between most of our local shooters. Although we had a good attendance, hopefully more of our regular shooters can make it to the next one.

Harold
Harold Rushton

July 23rd, 2012, 1:08 am #10

Take care,

Harold Rushton

Match Results
WFTF

PCP

Piston

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

It'll be great to have another spot to have matches for you east coast guys. The winds can be really tricky in that situation with open fields and woods on both sides like that. It's almost like a curling wave that has uplifts and down drafts right next to steady cross winds. It looks just like the area we shot bench rest at the world championships last summer.. and all the shooters had a great time dealing with those conditions:-)

I hope you and that crowd can make it out for the nationals.. I heard the flights from Medford were a problem, so Mark and I are pledging to take folks to Portland Airport after the match Sunday night where there are lots of flights out Sunday night.

Wayne