Match Etiquette - What do you do when your squad partner talks while you're shooting?

Match Etiquette - What do you do when your squad partner talks while you're shooting?

April 27th, 2011, 3:42 pm #1

Over the past years that I've shot FT, I've heard quite a few stories of folks competing at local, state, regional and even national FT Matches where people were squadded with a shooter that would get really chatty with them as they were in the lane taking their shots.

I've only experienced this on a couple occasions and the chatter was definitely with the intent to break my concentration but not at a level that I couldn't ignore it.

What is the proper method of handling this situation where the squad partner is purposely being a pain in the arse with their chatting in a major match that you are shooting in if they don't respect your requests to quiet down when you are in the lane taking your shots?

Do you tell the MD and have them talk to them or get reassigned a new partner? Can a MD reassign partners once the match has started or are you stuck riding out the rest of the match stuck with some jerk?

Regards,

Tony

April 27th, 2011, 3:59 pm #2

You got to give what you get.

"NO GUNS WOULD BE A RIOT"

Later

Tim
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Arial, Times New Roman">
Mac1 Airgun
</font>

April 27th, 2011, 4:01 pm #3

Over the past years that I've shot FT, I've heard quite a few stories of folks competing at local, state, regional and even national FT Matches where people were squadded with a shooter that would get really chatty with them as they were in the lane taking their shots.

I've only experienced this on a couple occasions and the chatter was definitely with the intent to break my concentration but not at a level that I couldn't ignore it.

What is the proper method of handling this situation where the squad partner is purposely being a pain in the arse with their chatting in a major match that you are shooting in if they don't respect your requests to quiet down when you are in the lane taking your shots?

Do you tell the MD and have them talk to them or get reassigned a new partner? Can a MD reassign partners once the match has started or are you stuck riding out the rest of the match stuck with some jerk?

Regards,

Tony

Obviously, it's not good etiquette to be loud or talk while someone is shooting. I've had it happen a time or two, but I just concentrate on shooting and move on. Most often, it's just a competitor that's not very serious about the match, or they are nervous. I have noticed it intentionally before, but that's where preparation comes into play. If you are comfortable enough with your shooting abilities, then it's not that difficult to block them out and take good shots. You have to be able to put yourself into a focused place where outside distractions will not affect your performance.

Now if it were un-sportsman like conduct where someone was heckling you or such, then that would be time for the MD to have a talk with them. However, just simple talk during a match, should be handled pretty easily between the competitors.

Harold
Harold Rushton

April 27th, 2011, 4:03 pm #4

Regards,

Tony

I think most would shut their trap if you requested it..

I find it very annoying when some competitors are standing nearby jawing away without regard to a competitor who is in position shooting and trying to concentrate.

In your case, seems that the 'chatting' issue needs to be addressed at the shooters meeting BEFORE the match.That way everyone is reminded about shooter etiquette during the match.
Last edited by icufuzz on April 27th, 2011, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 27th, 2011, 4:05 pm #5

You got to give what you get.

"NO GUNS WOULD BE A RIOT"

Later

Tim
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Arial, Times New Roman">
Mac1 Airgun
</font>

April 27th, 2011, 4:07 pm #6

Regards,

Tony

If that doesn't work, a buttstock to the forehead always worked for me!

April 27th, 2011, 4:16 pm #7

Obviously, it's not good etiquette to be loud or talk while someone is shooting. I've had it happen a time or two, but I just concentrate on shooting and move on. Most often, it's just a competitor that's not very serious about the match, or they are nervous. I have noticed it intentionally before, but that's where preparation comes into play. If you are comfortable enough with your shooting abilities, then it's not that difficult to block them out and take good shots. You have to be able to put yourself into a focused place where outside distractions will not affect your performance.

Now if it were un-sportsman like conduct where someone was heckling you or such, then that would be time for the MD to have a talk with them. However, just simple talk during a match, should be handled pretty easily between the competitors.

Harold
As the antagonist, an experienced shooter, thought it would give them an edge to win/place...but in the end it didn't work and the better shooters prevailed with their exemplary shooting skills.

I agree to try and shoot, but not everyone has the discipline to ignore/block out someone talking and/or whistling as you are trying to perform a task requiring accuracy and precision over and over again with a timer ticking away.

Simple talk is definitely not what I am talking about which for the majority of all my experience and others, it is usually small talk that is easily discussed and understood with squad partners to quiet down while the other is shooting.

It's those "other situations" that are disturbing.

Regards,

Tony

PS. Hope the training is going well for Italy!!!

April 27th, 2011, 4:17 pm #8

Regards,

Tony

If you don't talk, at some point they'll get the hint... or at least you hope they do .

HookEm

April 27th, 2011, 4:20 pm #9

I think most would shut their trap if you requested it..

I find it very annoying when some competitors are standing nearby jawing away without regard to a competitor who is in position shooting and trying to concentrate.

In your case, seems that the 'chatting' issue needs to be addressed at the shooters meeting BEFORE the match.That way everyone is reminded about shooter etiquette during the match.
That just doesn't get it, doesn't want to get it, and is gonna be disruptive for whatever reasons...

Good idea, voice the concern during the Shooters Meeting and after if it arises at a 2 day event.

Regards,

Tony

April 27th, 2011, 4:23 pm #10

If that doesn't work, a buttstock to the forehead always worked for me!
But with people like that, I imagine they would the type to immediately sue you for a hate crime and violation of civil rights!!!

Regards,

Tony

PS. That could get ugly with the Butthook I have on my USFT, lol, mini harpoon!!!