Marauder barrel moves in barrel band: reason? fixes?

Marauder barrel moves in barrel band: reason? fixes?

May 4th, 2012, 10:09 pm #1

I just purchased my first Marauder .25. I immediately noticed that there was "slop" in the barrel, in other words, I could move the barrel around about +/- 1/8" with respect to the rest of the rifle. There is a significant gap, at least 1/8", between the barrel and the barrel band. The barrel band is rotated so that one side of the barrel is pressed against the barrel band.
I'm not an expert in air rifles, but I am a mechanical engineer, and this situation just doesn't seem right. If the barrel is intended to be floating within the limits of the barrel band, I would think the barrel would be centered within the barrel band.
Can anyone explain this situation? Is there a reason that the barrel is "floating?" Will it increase accuracy, but possibly cause problems, if the barrel is locked to the rifle?
Thank you for reading and considering.
Regards,
Frank
Pittsburgh

May 4th, 2012, 10:40 pm #2

You can Adjust the barrel band by the set screws. The band itself should not be touching the barrel. There should be an accuracy increase with the floating barrel. If something or the band itself is touching the barrel, it CAN cause a change for POI.

May 5th, 2012, 12:55 am #3

Thanks for the reply. I can easily adjust the barrel band so it's not touching the barrel.
I assume Crosman designed the barrel to be floating for a good reason. However, I've read a couple blogs where some experienced gunsmiths secured the barrel. Has anyone studied the effects of securing the barrel so it is not floating?
Regards,
Frank, MSME

May 5th, 2012, 9:03 pm #4

I found this same situation with my rifle and asked around what was the solution. I was told to remove the barrel band and the shroud,then replace the barrel band and check for the barrel center in reference to the barrel band. If it looked off centered, then slightly bend the barrel till it's centered in the barrel band. Hope I've explained myself clearly. It worked for me.

June 16th, 2012, 4:22 am #5

I just purchased my first Marauder .25. I immediately noticed that there was "slop" in the barrel, in other words, I could move the barrel around about +/- 1/8" with respect to the rest of the rifle. There is a significant gap, at least 1/8", between the barrel and the barrel band. The barrel band is rotated so that one side of the barrel is pressed against the barrel band.
I'm not an expert in air rifles, but I am a mechanical engineer, and this situation just doesn't seem right. If the barrel is intended to be floating within the limits of the barrel band, I would think the barrel would be centered within the barrel band.
Can anyone explain this situation? Is there a reason that the barrel is "floating?" Will it increase accuracy, but possibly cause problems, if the barrel is locked to the rifle?
Thank you for reading and considering.
Regards,
Frank
Pittsburgh
Reason: As the air supply depletes/increases, the air tank will flex ever-so-slightly. If the barrel were not free floating, it would flex with the air tank and accuracy goes down the tube.

June 16th, 2012, 10:25 am #6

I knew there must be a reason that the barrel floats. Thanks for explaining.

Are all air guns with similar air reservoirs designed with floating barrels?