Marauder barrel cleaning with alcohol

Marauder barrel cleaning with alcohol

April 6th, 2010, 5:57 pm #1

Greetings all,

I have not been very happy with the accuracy of my Marauder .22. AT 25 yards, its not giving me the Pellet size groups that folks are posting here (bi-pod,supported rifle).
I have sorted my pellets by weight. I'm using the Crosman Premiers 14.3GR.

So I thought, perhaps the barrel is dirty.
I took out the baffles and cleaned it with the nylon bristles, and then with the "muff" dipped in alcohol. I have a friend of mine who cleans all his powder burners with Alcohol and swears by it.

Haven't noticed an improvement, so I went ahead and placed an order for another barrel. When it gets here, I'll probably end up lapping the barrel, and polish the crown (Dremel, brass screw and rouge).

Any comments on the alcohol cleaning of the barrel, or what else to do, to get better accuracy?
Both with the barrel and the gun, as well as pellets.

Thank you,

-arbi

April 6th, 2010, 6:02 pm #2

I have used Goo Gone on my MRod barrel with a crown saver pull thru cord. Good results with that. All my pellets get 5 drops of Napier oil per tin to keep down future leading. So far so good.

Johnny
Last edited by JohnnySuperDad on April 6th, 2010, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 6th, 2010, 11:34 pm #3

Greetings all,

I have not been very happy with the accuracy of my Marauder .22. AT 25 yards, its not giving me the Pellet size groups that folks are posting here (bi-pod,supported rifle).

I took out the baffles and cleaned it with the nylon bristles, and then with the "muff" dipped in alcohol. I have a friend of mine who cleans all his powder burners with Alcohol and swears by it.

Haven't noticed an improvement, so I went ahead and placed an order for another barrel. When it gets here, I'll probably end up lapping the barrel, and polish the crown (Dremel, brass screw and rouge).

Any comments on the alcohol cleaning of the barrel, or what else to do, to get better accuracy?

Thank you,

-arbi
How to Make a Stock Crosman Barrel Shoot better...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/652081/m ... oot+better...

April 7th, 2010, 12:00 am #4

Greetings all,

Thank you,

-arbi
pellet and leave alot of lead in the bore,at the choke area,destroying accuracy. Lubing the pellets helps reduce the lead build up alot!Also I have used alcohol/mixtures in muzzeloaders to remove "powder fouling",but it does nothing for lead in the bore!I use a syn oil to clean/prep the bore on all of my air rifles. Ron

April 7th, 2010, 1:29 am #5

Greetings all,

Thank you,

-arbi
My first and foremost recommendation would be to try heavier pellets. You are possibly shooting the 14 grainers too fast. I tried 14.3 grain JSBs in mine and they shot a shotgun pattern at 30 yards. I tried JSB 15.8 grainers and immediately went to 1/4" groups at 35 yards. The 18.1 grain shoot just as good. Good luck.

April 7th, 2010, 11:25 am #6

pellet and leave alot of lead in the bore,at the choke area,destroying accuracy. Lubing the pellets helps reduce the lead build up alot!Also I have used alcohol/mixtures in muzzeloaders to remove "powder fouling",but it does nothing for lead in the bore!I use a syn oil to clean/prep the bore on all of my air rifles. Ron
I have never lubed pellets, so I dont know where to start.
what lube do you recommend, and where do I get it from ?
Also, for cleaning the barrel, what is best?

Thank you

April 7th, 2010, 11:29 am #7

My first and foremost recommendation would be to try heavier pellets. You are possibly shooting the 14 grainers too fast. I tried 14.3 grain JSBs in mine and they shot a shotgun pattern at 30 yards. I tried JSB 15.8 grainers and immediately went to 1/4" groups at 35 yards. The 18.1 grain shoot just as good. Good luck.
So I shot a bit yesterday afternoon, and here were the results:

By the way, my Marauder is factory setup. It shoots the CP 14.3 gr pellets at about 850fps average.

I got a nice one hole group with my 14.3 CPs for 4 shots, then the 5th one was a flier.

I switch to baracuda match, and experienced similar thing. It shot a one hole group for about 4-5 shots, and then there was a flier about .4" to the right.

this is all at 25 yards, off a bipod/bench rest.

April 7th, 2010, 11:37 am #8

How to Make a Stock Crosman Barrel Shoot better...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/652081/m ... oot+better...
unfortunately...I dont have access to a lathe right now...so not sure if this is going to help me.

I may try the other steps, and see if it improves things though.

thank you.

April 7th, 2010, 3:36 pm #9

So I shot a bit yesterday afternoon, and here were the results:

By the way, my Marauder is factory setup. It shoots the CP 14.3 gr pellets at about 850fps average.

I got a nice one hole group with my 14.3 CPs for 4 shots, then the 5th one was a flier.

I switch to baracuda match, and experienced similar thing. It shot a one hole group for about 4-5 shots, and then there was a flier about .4" to the right.

this is all at 25 yards, off a bipod/bench rest.
That sounds a bit like an issue with the crown.
Ron

April 8th, 2010, 12:52 am #10

Greetings all,

Thank you,

-arbi
First thing to do is have a known good shooter shoot your gun, I'm lucky in that I shoot with Helder, Tony and a few other excellent shots. When a gun/scope/ammo combination doesn't shoot well for me, that's the first place to go.

Not long ago I too was having trouble with fliers from my Marauder shooting CPs. At the same time I was also shooting my Condor with no issues (which made me think I had to be shooting well....). Having someone else shoot flier free groups between groups with a flier or two from me showed it had to be me.

The Marauder was shooting well so easily it'd lulled me into sloppy shooting techniques. My hold not consistent from shot to shot, I just wasn't paying attention. I'd prop the gun up on the rest in front, hold the rear up, align the sights and pull the trigger and watch the group form. A flier would creep in, sometimes two. I found that if I put a small amount of pressure on the forearm, holding the stock against my shoulder, the fliers disappeared. I realized at that point the rifle is not recoilless. Far from it, really. What I think was happening to me was the gun was being pushed back into my shoulder (lightly) by the release of the hammer. However, when the hammer hit the valve it was pulling the whole gun forward a bit just as the pellet was starting out. That was giving the gun a chance to slip a tiny bit just when I didn't want it.

It may be my theory is all wet, but consciously putting modest back pressure (from either the strong or weak hand) as the shot is fired ended the fliers.

It has often been said, "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools". In this case I think a 'second opinion' is in order before deciding the gun is at fault. I suggest getting a known good shooter to try it out. Unless, that is, you can think of a reason why the gun should shoot one in five pellets in a different manner than it's twins from the same (sorted in this case) batch????

Doug Owen