Marauder Adjustments

Marauder Adjustments

April 11th, 2010, 4:55 am #1

Im looking to buy a Marauder in .22 cal and had a few questions for anyone how can answer them. if you max out the hammer spring load do you also have to open the transefer port screw all the way or can it be left alone? i guess what im asking is do these have to be done in sink or can it be one or the other. Also do these mods affect the noise level, such as if you make it shoot faster is it louder? And finaly, if i wanted to adjust my marauder to shoot at 3000psi do i need a crony?

Thanks

April 11th, 2010, 6:34 am #2

You really can't tinker with the gun without a chrony. Without fps feedback, you'll be chasing your tail.

The transfer port screw, spring tension, and striker distance are all adjusted independently. When tuning, it's usually best to adjust one at a time. In my experience - the port screw is the master controller for potential power. The spring tension is then adjusted to get the most out of that power. And the striker is adjusted for fine tuning the shot string. Others do things differently...

The gun does make more sound when tuned to shoot with higher energy. But, even more, the sound varies from pellet to pellet. A CP at 800fps is louder than a JSB 18 at 850fps, despite having much less energy. The "hard" pellets like CP and CPHPs make a "ting" sound when they fire. JSBs, Kodiaks, and Baracuda have more "air" sound to them, and less "ting".

IME, JSB's fired at 80-90% max power (800-880fps), along with a depinger, makes for a damn quiet bunny killer. That said, don't be obsessed with how quiet you can make the gun. It's already quieter than my crosman 1377 - with 1/4 the power.

April 11th, 2010, 10:43 pm #3

I played with the adjustments on my Marauder for the first time today, so I am far from an expert. A Marauder without a chrony is like a hamburger without ketchup. It won't necessarily be set up properly from the factory, and you can't tell what is going on without a chrony.

It seemed that every adjustment I made changed the sound. The sound level is not necessarily a good indicator of velocity. Sometimes you can get a higher velocity at a lower sound level. I think it depends on how efficiently you are using the air.

Read the A-Teams tuning info on the link at the top of the page. I followed method 1 and got a happy result.

Bill Lambert