Making a Bell Target.......

Making a Bell Target.......

June 19th, 2012, 2:35 pm #1

I ordered some firealarm bells back in late April. From work I have some steel plates with perhaps 1.25" holes in the center. I have leaned them together, lined them up, and it works. The problem is when a clipped pellet hits the edge of the killzone. That clipped pellet still makes a ding on the bell.

Any suggestions?

Dutch

Self proclaimed shootinist sumbitch...there ever was almost!!
Its hard bein shootinst sum bitch...welp not its not.
started @ 227 compressor fills in 6/22/08
180 compressor fills and I have broke even
And aaain't it grrreaaat to be livinnn in the USA.
I never whacked a pigeon, starling, or sparrow that didn't deserve it!!!
1544 and countin....on pigeons..
starling count started 14--

June 19th, 2012, 4:09 pm #2

June 19th, 2012, 4:53 pm #3

I ordered some firealarm bells back in late April. From work I have some steel plates with perhaps 1.25" holes in the center. I have leaned them together, lined them up, and it works. The problem is when a clipped pellet hits the edge of the killzone. That clipped pellet still makes a ding on the bell.

Any suggestions?

Dutch

Call the edge hits good shots.

lhd

June 19th, 2012, 5:21 pm #4

Any suggestions?

Dutch

Its a point. why agonize over the "split thing" needlessly? You control difficulty with kz size and distance, don't worry about splits, if you hear it, its ok.

I used em for years and they are great, many shooters loved em, those that didn't ring em, well, not so much.

Only issue is that bells aren't legal for AAFTA rules matches I guess, but its their loss.

June 19th, 2012, 5:24 pm #5

Any suggestions?

Dutch

Nice Dutch. Where did u find the bells....

Ronnie
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

June 19th, 2012, 6:00 pm #6

Any suggestions?

Dutch

I really liked them at LD's match and they solve some problems on long targets. on our course we have some long uphil sets and some long sets where the string crosses a gully. Those long strings can cause target fall failures due to the weight of the string holding the paddle. The bells would eliminate that issue. Some folks might not like the elimintion of the string though because they use the string to guage wind.

June 19th, 2012, 9:02 pm #7

Any suggestions?

Dutch

How are you intending to score? As I understand, the way the Brits do it and the way we do it at IAFTC is to repaint after each shooter - you can then determine where it hit.

June 19th, 2012, 9:37 pm #8

Any suggestions?

Dutch

I hung a heavy paddle behind the kill zone so the shot would hit the paddle and then the paddle would hit the bell. I moved the bell back a bit so that a solid hit would swing the paddle far enough back to hit the bell but a split wouldn't.

<p>Brad Troyer,
brad@airguns.net
www.airguns.net
</p>

June 19th, 2012, 9:40 pm #9

Last edited by HookEm on June 19th, 2012, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lhd

June 19th, 2012, 9:42 pm #10

How are you intending to score? As I understand, the way the Brits do it and the way we do it at IAFTC is to repaint after each shooter - you can then determine where it hit.
The Brit Bell Target game is an iron sights offhand game, fired from only six yards, but with around a 3/8" hole to fire thru on order to ring the bell, which then trips a mechanism that needs reset to continue. Because it was such a rough game, there were extra scoring rings in case the bell wasn't rung, and it is these rings on the faceplate that were repainted if they were smudged. the paint was a non-drying oily white, similar, if the not the same as the white lead used for lubing lathe centers.

The scorekeeper would stand right next to the target, writing on the scoreboard and painting as needed, and if this seems unsafe, often the shooters were firing nearly over the heads of the spectators, and ALL were usually holding a mug of beer when not shooting, as many, if not most of the games back in the beginning were held after work in pubs.

I have and use an exact replica target, but we use cheap water-based flat white spray paint. We don't use mugs, but rather, normal cans and bottles of beer.