Made a gadget today...

Made a gadget today...

October 3rd, 2011, 1:03 am #1

After seeing the extreme up and downhill from the Worlds pics this year and some of the gauges and contraptions that guys attached to their rifles to measure angles, I came up with this for mine. It uses a archery angle gauge with a thumb stop for holding the angle for viewing. I made a bracket that attaches to my home made side wheel pointer from aluminum and delrin. Along with this, I made a chart for various angles that is then calibrated to adjust the distance.

So, once you range find the target normally, you push the thumb stop on the gauge and read the angle. Then consult the chart to determine the actual distance to the target based on the trig and adjust the scope knob for adjusted distance. May be overkill and not sure how it will pan out in an actual match, but at least its available if I want to use it.

Jeff P

October 3rd, 2011, 1:19 am #2

That is a bkl mount that you grinded down and attached to a piece 1/4" bar stock Al. Is it not? And was it tapped with a harbor freight tap and die set?

very nice.

Dutch

Self proclaimed shootinist sumbitch...there ever was almost!!
Its hard bein shootinst sum bitch...welp not its not.
started @ 228 compressor fills in 6/22/08
188 compressor fills and I have broke even
And aaain't it grrreaaat to be livinnn in the USA.
I never whacked a pigeon, starling, or sparrow that didn't deserve it!!!
1523 and countin....on pigeons..
starling count started 11--

October 3rd, 2011, 1:36 am #3

Is made from a 30mm Leapers ring cut in half with the clamp part cut off. I cut a groove in it and added the point part which is a piece of brass held in with a set screw. The bracket holding the gauge is hand cut from a piece of 1/4" aluminum that is attached to a piece of 1/4" delrin cut in a circle shape. The gauge has double sided tape that I adhered to the delrin.

October 3rd, 2011, 1:59 am #4

After seeing the extreme up and downhill from the Worlds pics this year and some of the gauges and contraptions that guys attached to their rifles to measure angles, I came up with this for mine. It uses a archery angle gauge with a thumb stop for holding the angle for viewing. I made a bracket that attaches to my home made side wheel pointer from aluminum and delrin. Along with this, I made a chart for various angles that is then calibrated to adjust the distance.

So, once you range find the target normally, you push the thumb stop on the gauge and read the angle. Then consult the chart to determine the actual distance to the target based on the trig and adjust the scope knob for adjusted distance. May be overkill and not sure how it will pan out in an actual match, but at least its available if I want to use it.

Jeff P
...and was told that they were not approved, per "B" under Sights.

Sights:
A. Any form of sighting system may be used.
B. No separate device designed specifically for, or used for range finding may be used to view the targets.
C. No laser device can be used.

Personally, I didn't think the rule actually addressed the Angle Cosine Indicator because it isn't actually used to "view" the target. Because it is used to calculate distance, then it's not allowed. At least that's what I was told by former BOG member. But I'm not sure if he was active at that time, it's been a few years ago.

I'd like to use them. But if the target's in a tree, you can just range the trunk at your level and you'll get the same result.

Could we get something official?

Paul

Map to the FT Park> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=115 ... AL%2036264

October 3rd, 2011, 2:12 am #5

nor can I view the target through it so I don't see how it would be illegal. Also ranging the trunk of a tree is not always possible. Usually the targets are up or down a hill side.

Jeff P
Last edited by pad617 on October 3rd, 2011, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 3rd, 2011, 2:16 am #6

Jeff P
That is a techno geeks dream rigging well thought out and looks well executed, nice job.
I hope we don't have any need for that set up at the nationals this year but the "Red" course does have some serious up angle shots so it might come in handy.
Ken Hughes

October 3rd, 2011, 2:17 am #7

nor can I view the target through it so I don't see how it would be illegal. Also ranging the trunk of a tree is not always possible. Usually the targets are up or down a hill side.

Jeff P
...does calculate a range. You're ranging the hypotenuse of the right triangle, using the cosine of the angle theta to caculate the leg adjacent to your position.

Again, I think we should be able to use them. I'd like a ruling from the BOG.

Paul

October 3rd, 2011, 2:23 am #8

October 3rd, 2011, 2:50 am #9

Jeff P
"So, once you range find the target normally, you push the thumb stop on the gauge and read the angle. Then consult the chart to determine the actual distance to the target based on the trig and adjust the scope knob for adjusted distance."

If I range find normally, isn't that the actual distance to the target?

If it's a matter of calculating hold under by feeding wrong data into your dope sheet I get it I guess.

You really need to have your head below your ankles making a shot for it to matter much I think.

BS

October 3rd, 2011, 3:04 am #10

You're at "A", the Target is at "B" but the actual range to target is "b". The hypotenuse is the ranged distance but both distances can't be correct. This example is extreme but if you have a 25 degree up or down angle and the target ranges at 55 yards, then the actual distance to the target is just under 50 yards. 55 x .906 = 49.83 yards.

That's how it works.