Mac1 Marauder wait.

Mac1 Marauder wait.

May 30th, 2009, 1:34 am #1

Does anyone have a rough idea of how long the wait would be to get a Marauder from Mac1?

May 30th, 2009, 1:45 am #2

shoot matches with.

This was early in the week, just before Pyramid actually started shipping production guns..

Tim felt everything was too up in the Air to make firm promises as to available guns for folks who merely wanted to be put on the list.

He felt that if his first shipment came on time by the last week in June, he would have a few cancellations and anyone who puts money down NOW should get one of those first Mac1 rifles.

He stressed to me that PAID orders get priority. That sounded reasonable to me.
Last edited by jimairgun on May 30th, 2009, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, 2009, 6:18 am #3

Place an order with Pyamydair and if an item is not in stock, they do NOT bill you until the item is in. If it's a long wait, they even give you a courtesy call prior to billing once the merchandise arrives to be sure you do still want it. All the while, you retain your priority buying placement without having to pay for the privilege. You're billed ONLY when the order is fulfilled.

This is not a gun that needs a lot of professional tweaking to be "good" anyway. The adjustment possibilities are many, but the way it's been made, any average Joe can do it.

Tim
VPilot
Last edited by VPilot on May 30th, 2009, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, 2009, 3:10 pm #4

First of all V Pilot, This is Tim at Mac1 we are talking about.

Having said that, I have never bought a rifle from Tim before and did not get into payment specifics. It is ENTIRELY possible that on products Tim does not make, but has on order, he does the SAME thing Pyramid does- takes your Credit Card info and them bills you when the item arrives.

As to the Marauders needing adjustment,I agree that the Marauder is great rifle- perhaps the best built rifle to ever come out of the Crosman plant, it's still is a factory made rifle. And stuff gets through that needs adjustment.So do Daystates, BSAs Falcons FX's, Theobens, Air Arms etc etc.

My Marauder rifle-#91 was shipped WITHOUT BAFFLES in the shroud-. That is something Tim would have noted and got parts for before shipping. Tim goes over the whole gun- cleaning lubing, double checking everything. He re-crowns the barrel , hones the pellet breech and upgrades O rings .

Lots of Airguns don't "need" Match grade barrels on them, but everything from $79 QBs on up seem to get 'em it's up to the owner to decide that.The "need" for a pro to go over a Marauder for delivery is in the eye of the beholder.

And one last thing about prepayment of a product- I'm SURE Tim requires some amount of money up front on the $2,700+ USFT rifles he makes every year. He farms out a lot of the work Anodizing etc and thus cannot control exact delivery times..I have never heard one complaint about him not being trustworthy with any money paid toward a rifle (or anything else for that matter).
Last edited by jimairgun on May 30th, 2009, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, 2009, 3:38 pm #5

Place an order with Pyamydair and if an item is not in stock, they do NOT bill you until the item is in. If it's a long wait, they even give you a courtesy call prior to billing once the merchandise arrives to be sure you do still want it. All the while, you retain your priority buying placement without having to pay for the privilege. You're billed ONLY when the order is fulfilled.

This is not a gun that needs a lot of professional tweaking to be "good" anyway. The adjustment possibilities are many, but the way it's been made, any average Joe can do it.

Tim
VPilot
Steve

<font size="-2"> Air Conserving MSP 392
GTX Generation II 2-Stage Trigger
Benjamin SuperSear
Crosman Custom Parts
Big Ed Airguns
</font>

May 31st, 2009, 5:25 am #6

Front all or half and there was no belles, some people don,t know when to lay off, they just keep it up.

May 31st, 2009, 3:06 pm #7

...like the Marauder is questionable business practice, roughly akin to ticket scalping. This is a fact.

If you want to defend someone who indulges in it, that's your privilege.

Steve

Benjamin SuperSear
Crosman Custom Parts
Big Ed Airguns
</font>

May 31st, 2009, 10:12 pm #8

First of all V Pilot, This is Tim at Mac1 we are talking about.

Having said that, I have never bought a rifle from Tim before and did not get into payment specifics. It is ENTIRELY possible that on products Tim does not make, but has on order, he does the SAME thing Pyramid does- takes your Credit Card info and them bills you when the item arrives.

As to the Marauders needing adjustment,I agree that the Marauder is great rifle- perhaps the best built rifle to ever come out of the Crosman plant, it's still is a factory made rifle. And stuff gets through that needs adjustment.So do Daystates, BSAs Falcons FX's, Theobens, Air Arms etc etc.

My Marauder rifle-#91 was shipped WITHOUT BAFFLES in the shroud-. That is something Tim would have noted and got parts for before shipping. Tim goes over the whole gun- cleaning lubing, double checking everything. He re-crowns the barrel , hones the pellet breech and upgrades O rings .

Lots of Airguns don't "need" Match grade barrels on them, but everything from $79 QBs on up seem to get 'em it's up to the owner to decide that.The "need" for a pro to go over a Marauder for delivery is in the eye of the beholder.

And one last thing about prepayment of a product- I'm SURE Tim requires some amount of money up front on the $2,700+ USFT rifles he makes every year. He farms out a lot of the work Anodizing etc and thus cannot control exact delivery times..I have never heard one complaint about him not being trustworthy with any money paid toward a rifle (or anything else for that matter).
... also had good reputations as upstanding members of this community at the time money was solicited up front for merchandise not in stock or services yet to be rendered. They were well spoken of and even defended by many who were convinced the business was legit even in spite of the unusual business practice and developing controversies.

A person can tell me till they're blue in the face that a business or person they likely don't know personally (beyond what is spoken of in this forum) is beyond reproach - in spite of unusual business practices and I'll still quietly hold my personal reservations on the matter. Meanwhile if they prefer to pay for the privilege of doing business with anyone, the same business they could easily do FREE of risk elsewhere, then I'm sure my observations won't dissuade them.

In my business our number one competitor ,another music store in business for 30+ years, shut its doors unexpectedly and filed BK with no notice. Dozens of customers who had dropped instruments off for repair just days earlier had to go through many hoops to get their own instruments out of probate weeks later. Students and teachers showed up for lessons only to find doors bolted shut and the teacher's own equipment and instruments was held hostage in the process. People were even SOLD gift certificates the DAY BEFORE closing - and I am quite sure the management knew those would not be honored when they happily stroked the unwitting customers. So please don't tell me a "good reputable guy" or business is beyond the temptation to pull a stunt when least expected - always at the consumer's expense no less.

If red flags begin to fly over a business deal, no one is forcing anyone else to read them. A person is free to choose ignorant bliss over informed decision making each and every time, but I hardly see what use defending the practice is. In defending it though, a person only places his own reputation and credibility at at risk for something and someone over whom he has zero control - like the dozens who already made that mistake over the Filarms deals and more. Just pay the money and hold your breath - but I'd encourage you to be careful about encouraging others to confidently follow suit.

In the end to each his own.

Tim
VPilot
Last edited by VPilot on May 31st, 2009, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 31st, 2009, 10:33 pm #9

...like the Marauder is questionable business practice, roughly akin to ticket scalping. This is a fact.

If you want to defend someone who indulges in it, that's your privilege.

Steve

Benjamin SuperSear
Crosman Custom Parts
Big Ed Airguns
</font>
Tell me, if it was someone other than Tim doing this (asking for 'up front' money) would there be an issue? I notice that one in five guys that jumped through hoops to get 'on the list' with Crosman abandoned their rifles. They had no bucks in it and just never claimed them, Josh had to put them up for sale again. It happens.

Tim has named his terms, you don't have to buy from him or in this manner. You can do what I did, buy it from Crosman (or elsewhere) and have it sent directly to him for the work

And doesn't Gary Barnes get all the money before he delivers? So is he "akin to ticket scalping" too? Attack who you want, but some will question motives.

Doug Owen

June 1st, 2009, 10:56 pm #10

...to unfairly jump a queue and get product ahead of those who are waiting their turn. In this sense demanding prepayment for early delivery of a scarce product (one the dealer doesn't even have yet) is not only similar but identical to scalping.

Meanwhile, I'm attacking no one. I'm criticizing a business practice that I consider questionable no matter who indulges in it. It's not illegal or dishonest. It's just questionable.

Since you bring up the example of BarnesPneumatics - as I said earlier, requiring prepayment for priority access to a commodity stock retail item like the Marauder is different from doing so for a custom, made-to-order, "bespoke" item.

And your example of Crosman reallocating unclaimed rifles from the first 100 is totally irrelevant. Crosman didn't demand prepayment.

Steve

Benjamin SuperSear
Crosman Custom Parts
Big Ed Airguns
</font>