M-ROD Shooting Sideways - What Adjustment

M-ROD Shooting Sideways - What Adjustment

March 24th, 2012, 4:50 pm #1

Can I make to stop this. I was shooting at a tangerine on top a fence about 70 yards out. When I fill to 2800 psi, it will shoot as much as two mil dots to the right. As the psi lowers, the pellet moves to the left. At 2000 psi, the pellet is shooting to the left of the tangerine .5 to .75 mil dots. The POI drops about .75 mils from 2800 down to 2000 but I'm more concerned with the sideways movement.

Not sure how to compensate/adjust for this.

Bend The barrel?????

March 24th, 2012, 5:28 pm #2

Had you removed the baffles from your rifle? I did it once and my Maudie never shot right after.

March 24th, 2012, 5:47 pm #3

The riffle is coming up on being two weeks old tomorrow. It took more than a week to realize I was missing the barrel o-ring and that I was clipping my baffles. I enlarged them and that seemed to improve things but like I mentioned, it seems to move sideways.

Baffles -Huh????

March 24th, 2012, 6:04 pm #4

did you get the barrel O-Ring? I imagine if it's not there could be some weird currents going on inside the barrel. Are you in an area where you could try a couple of shots with the end cap off and baffles out? there could still be clipping.

March 24th, 2012, 9:25 pm #5

Can I make to stop this. I was shooting at a tangerine on top a fence about 70 yards out. When I fill to 2800 psi, it will shoot as much as two mil dots to the right. As the psi lowers, the pellet moves to the left. At 2000 psi, the pellet is shooting to the left of the tangerine .5 to .75 mil dots. The POI drops about .75 mils from 2800 down to 2000 but I'm more concerned with the sideways movement.

Bend The barrel?????

Based on other discussions I've read, check that the barrel band isn't touching the shroud. Also, you could try shooting it with the shroud completely removed.

March 25th, 2012, 3:59 am #6

Bend The barrel?????

I sort of went thru most of the suggestions to get to this point. I'f I'm still clipping baffles after enlarging them, then something might be wrong with the barrel.

I'm now almost out of my Benjamin Domes. My JSB order, from last Saturday, was lost by AoA and shipped this past Thursday and now expected on the 28th.

My basement is only 10 yards and I try to shoot our back (at work) stealthily so taking the shroud off doesn't lend very well for those efforts.

I think I'll wait for my pellets - run the gambit again (with the shroud off and on with the baffles removed) and if I'm still having problems - get this one replaced.

Thanks for all the comments.

March 25th, 2012, 12:25 pm #7

Bend The barrel?????

test fire...
If pellets still move 'sideways',...install a new breech o-ring and test again.

March 26th, 2012, 11:53 am #8

When I have done it (only indoors at 20 yards) the pellet impacted almost 2" higher than the the POA, as well as a little to the right in my case.

I think it is because the weight of the shroud, as well as the load from screwing it and the capo down on the baffles.

Even just taking the shroud cap off and the baffles out resulted in a higher POI too.

April 1st, 2012, 1:49 am #9

Bend The barrel?????

My local dealer allowed me to swap rifles and this is what I expected "out of the box"

Although I never confirmed, I believe the first rifle may not have had the "choked" barrel that it was suppose to. This would explain the pellets striking the baffles and flying so weird. This is in addition to missing the barrel o-ring.

With a little Tuning, this might turn into a real "Tack Driver"

This is more like it:

1st 50 yard 5 shot group (inside the garage) - I think I was zeroed around 70 yards
4 of the shots were under 1/2 inch

2nd clip same fill at 64 yards (just over 3/4 inch)

April 5th, 2012, 1:17 pm #10

Now you're talking. Looks great.