Luxfor 106cf 4350 PCP tank from Pamona Airguns

Luxfor 106cf 4350 PCP tank from Pamona Airguns

May 15th, 2010, 8:57 pm #1

Hi guys,

I just found the Luxfor 106cf scuba tank that can take up to 4350 psi on the Pamona Airguns website. It seems like a good trade-off between cost and fills. It is not clear from the website which fill valve comes on the tank - K-valve or DIN. Anybody know? I want to ensure my local options for HPA can fill it.

Beeman R9
Benjamin Trail XL
Last edited by wahoowad on May 15th, 2010, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2010, 10:44 pm #2

May 15th, 2010, 11:15 pm #3

Hi guys,

I just found the Luxfor 106cf scuba tank that can take up to 4350 psi on the Pamona Airguns website. It seems like a good trade-off between cost and fills. It is not clear from the website which fill valve comes on the tank - K-valve or DIN. Anybody know? I want to ensure my local options for HPA can fill it.

Beeman R9
Benjamin Trail XL
That looks like a pretty good deal.
Any shop should be able to handle both valve types.
The concern I would have, is who will fill to that pressure? I would call around first.
I could not find where it said, what valve type comes on the tank.
I don't know if you have a choice. But I'm sure a valve is included for the 385.
My tank has a Sherwood 5000 K valve. I thought that meant 5000psi, but after looking it up on the net, it appears to be a 3000psi valve.
So you may not have a choice on the matter according to Stan.

Rick

Last edited by RicksterShooter on May 15th, 2010, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2010, 11:48 pm #4

From personal experience buying new scuba tanks (before I wised up and got a SCBA!!),they only come with the in-tank valve..As low at the price is, I doubt very seriously if it will come with any "filling station"..I know if it were purchased in my area, it would not!! I see they haven't managed to cut the weight down any..that one weighs 34 lbs.empty! Midway down the page that shows the 106 tank it says..."Charging Adapters priced seperately"...DIN will cost quite a bit more than a "Y" yoke..at least twice as much.
Last edited by 1packrat on May 16th, 2010, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2010, 12:26 am #5

Do those SCBA carbon fiber tanks have the same restrictions as the one on Pamona Airguns?
Like 15 year life span, and needing a hydro test every 3 years?

Rick

May 16th, 2010, 12:43 am #6

From personal experience buying new scuba tanks (before I wised up and got a SCBA!!),they only come with the in-tank valve..As low at the price is, I doubt very seriously if it will come with any "filling station"..I know if it were purchased in my area, it would not!! I see they haven't managed to cut the weight down any..that one weighs 34 lbs.empty! Midway down the page that shows the 106 tank it says..."Charging Adapters priced seperately"...DIN will cost quite a bit more than a "Y" yoke..at least twice as much.
The scuba shop in my town won't do over 3500 but I would at least be able to get 3500 from them when needed. The scuba shop in the next town away says they can do 4500 so I can go to them too. I also think a paintball shop said they can 4500. Since it is DIN then it is pretty common, at least for the scuba shops. The tank+fill adapter from Pomona seems like a good deal to me.

Beeman R9
Benjamin Trail XL

May 16th, 2010, 10:44 am #7

Do those SCBA carbon fiber tanks have the same restrictions as the one on Pamona Airguns?

Rick
Rick, filling station is just another name for the "yoke" assy.....
The CF tanks need hydro every 5 years, not 3. According to the site, the 3 year requiremnet is imposed on the Luxfer because it is a new size and pressure ,so they feel it should be monitored more frequently....not knowing if I'll be airgunning 15 year from now, I bought a used setup from Joe...It has 5 years of service life left, at which time I'll be 67 yrs.old....It was just hydroed, and since it's fiberglass, will have to be hydro'ed again in 3 years (not 5 like the CF)..It truly does look brand new.Probably sat in a fire station locker the largest majority of it's life prior to being replaced for new CF...It's 66 cu.ft., 4,500psi, and came with a 3 ft. stainless steel micro-bore line and the liquid-filled gauge. Mine weighs ~14 lbs. when full, and can be carried easily to anywhere...SCBA tanks come with built in gauge, so you always know how much is in tank...ALL THAT, delivered to my door for $350.00. Add $40.00 for the hydro that is due in 3 years and you get $390.00 total, divided by 5 (years) means it costs me $78.00 per years to have this setup in my hose ready for use...THAT is cheap enough for me, not gonna spend any time seeing if I can save $10.00(whatever) a year for the next 15 years...I have mine in my shop right now, full of air, ready to go!! Ther...that's my $0.02 worth on new vs. used etc,etc,etc, YMMV.

May 16th, 2010, 10:45 am #8

Rick
The CF tanks need hydro every 5 years, not 3. According to the site, the 3 year requiremnet is imposed on the Luxfer because it is a new size and pressure ,so they feel it should be monitored more frequently....not knowing if I'll be airgunning 15 year from now, I bought a used setup from Joe...It has 5 years of service life left, at which time I'll be 67 yrs.old....It was just hydroed, and since it's fiberglass, will have to be hydro'ed again in 3 years (not 5 like the CF)..It truly does look brand new.Probably sat in a fire station locker the largest majority of it's life prior to being replaced for new CF...It's 66 cu.ft., 4,500psi, and came with a 3 ft. stainless steel micro-bore line and the liquid-filled gauge. Mine weighs ~14 lbs. when full, and can be carried easily to anywhere...SCBA tanks come with built in gauge, so you always know how much is in tank...ALL THAT, delivered to my door for $350.00. Add $40.00 for the hydro that is due in 3 years and you get $390.00 total, divided by 5 (years) means it costs me $78.00 per years to have this setup in my hose ready for use...THAT is cheap enough for me, not gonna spend any time seeing if I can save $10.00(whatever) a year for the next 15 years...I have mine in my shop right now, full of air, ready to go!! Ther...that's my $0.02 worth on new vs. used etc,etc,etc, YMMV.

May 16th, 2010, 12:57 pm #9

Hi guys,

Beeman R9
Benjamin Trail XL
Any one know how many PCP fills with this tank before going below 3000psi?

May 16th, 2010, 1:16 pm #10

NT
Last edited by RicksterShooter on May 16th, 2010, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.