Looks like my neighbor's cat is endangered

Looks like my neighbor's cat is endangered

June 2nd, 2012, 7:51 pm #1

Early this spring it started coming into our home emptying our cats food dish. Then while I was out of town it woke my wife up at 4 am trying to pick a fight with our cat in the hallway.
So we put the slider into the "dog door" permenantly closing it. Problem solved for a while other than the cat coming onto our property and howling, trying to draw our fixed female cat out to fight.

We have another cat window on the back side of the house that enters into the furnace room, and weeks later now, it's found that one. I came home from a trip last night to the reeking smell of cat spray in the furnace room and adjacent Man Room. Can hardly stand to be in the latter.

Looks like I'm finally going to have to take action. Problem is our lots are small, like .2 acres. I have a plan though. The cat doesn't live at any house adjacent to ours so I just have to be careful.

June 2nd, 2012, 8:12 pm #2

Similar thing happened in our old house when we had cats. He neighbors cat camera in and started a fight with our cats around 1:30 in the morning. Our next move was to get a kitty door that had a magnet on it with a special key we hooked onto our cat collars. When our cats came up to the door, it would unlock and let them in. Any other cat, it stayed locked. I suppose if the other cat had a key on his collar for his door, it might trip the catch on our door. The good thing was no one else in the neighborhood would go to the trouble of getting a similar door.

We took care of this problem cat by moving (necessary move) and getting rid of our cats because they started to pee on the kitchen counter after several years of living with us. I tried to change their habits but cat pee flavored bread turned me off to them.

One thing I have noticed in my years of fighting neighborhood cats is that the owner is usually the source of the problem. I have trapped the cats in live traps and hauled them to the pound numerous times. Every time the owner gets them out it costs them $35. What I can't figure out is why the stupid owner keeps posting kitty bail. I would maybe post bail once but certainly not more than that. I have hauled the same cat in multiple times and they keep paying for it. I have also removed a couple of cats from the gene pool. The owners just get new cats and the cycle continues. My best luck has been training the cat itself. Some people say you can't train a cat. I beg to differ. If you live trap them then when they are in the trap spray them with some water (cats seem to despise getting soaked in my experience) they will leave and not come back. I have gone so far as to take them to every gate, every fence, every corner of my property and give them the treatment and they don't come back. It may sound a bit cruel but it keeps the problem out of my hair and does not hurt the cat, just ticks it off. I do not appreciate people letting their cats run free to crap in my gardens and my kids sandbox. This is why I have developed this method.

Sasq

June 2nd, 2012, 8:15 pm #3

Early this spring it started coming into our home emptying our cats food dish. Then while I was out of town it woke my wife up at 4 am trying to pick a fight with our cat in the hallway.
So we put the slider into the "dog door" permenantly closing it. Problem solved for a while other than the cat coming onto our property and howling, trying to draw our fixed female cat out to fight.

We have another cat window on the back side of the house that enters into the furnace room, and weeks later now, it's found that one. I came home from a trip last night to the reeking smell of cat spray in the furnace room and adjacent Man Room. Can hardly stand to be in the latter.

Looks like I'm finally going to have to take action. Problem is our lots are small, like .2 acres. I have a plan though. The cat doesn't live at any house adjacent to ours so I just have to be careful.
Howler

June 2nd, 2012, 11:18 pm #4

I don't realy understand why people let them soil their homes.

June 3rd, 2012, 12:14 am #5

They are also odor-free and when there's nothing else for them to do, they will either continuously groom themselves or sleep.

Our cats even find time to groom our smallest dog "Cookie", as well as each other. Cleanliness is always foremost on their minds!

Here are our three cats: The big male is "Utah", the Calico is "Annie",(Calicos are always female) and the small Russian Blue female is "Comet".

They are all litterbox self-trained and have never left any indiscretions elsewhere in the house!

Hal

June 3rd, 2012, 12:43 am #6

smell like a sack full of @$$holes unless you tend to them like the queen's butler. i like cats in the yard on rat patrol , we have Boswell 13 years old and still on the job.

have a nice day

June 3rd, 2012, 12:57 am #7

I don't realy understand why people let them soil their homes.

A cat's cleanliness is a reflection of its environment....just like people!

An alley cat, foraging for survival in garbage cans, is not going to show what it's capable of in terms of cleanliness and hygiene. IT CAN'T!

But if kept in a clean, well-kept household, it will be allowed to show that it's among Nature's cleanest creatures.

Here's our calico "Annie" cuddling with our dog "Cookie"...she even grooms the Dog! Also shown is our male "UTAH" cuddling with "Annie".

These are examples of clean, well-cared-for, contented Felines!

Hal

June 3rd, 2012, 1:02 am #8

smell like a sack full of @$$holes unless you tend to them like the queen's butler. i like cats in the yard on rat patrol , we have Boswell 13 years old and still on the job.

have a nice day
I don't understand how you're treating your cats! Something must be really wrong in your household!

Our cats greet us in bed every morning, nuzzling our faces, and they smell POWDER PUFF FRESH!

If you're letting them out, then no damn wonder!

Hal
Last edited by tracer69 on June 3rd, 2012, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 3rd, 2012, 1:13 am #9

taken to our vet on a regular basis . are you the cat police? , , can you still smell?

have a nice day
Last edited by ralphy101again on June 3rd, 2012, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 3rd, 2012, 1:17 am #10

...for taking your cats to the Veterinarian at regular intervals.

I assume they are Spayed and Neutered?

Howl
Last edited by tracer69 on June 3rd, 2012, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.