Looking to take the plunge on a Discovery.......

Looking to take the plunge on a Discovery.......

March 15th, 2009, 7:32 pm #1

It's either coming from Mac1 or Mountain Air. My concern is the trigger pull. I've ready some are ok some are hard to pull. I already have money set aside for the Marauder even though I had my heart set on a Korean hammer. Need to try and keep my money here in the USA. How are you guys triggers ( spoiled buy my R-9 trigger) what kind of numbers are you getting and full power shot count and the accuracy at hunting distances. I've seen accuracy issues a olt with this gun. I'm guessing that my not be an issue from Mac or Roy. Thanks in advance

Jason

March 15th, 2009, 9:51 pm #2

10 months or so. I have also owned several Beemans (an R7, R9 and R1)
My .177 Discovery is more accurate than ANY- and I mean ANY -of the Beeman's I have ever owned or shot. The Disco will shot sub 1" groups at 50 yards on demand under decent conditions with its favorite pellets.It has gone as small as 1/2" for five shots at 50 yards with no wind.

So, I guess I am just a little confused about the "accuracy issues" you mention hearing about.I am also confused as to why you would spend the $$$ on a gun that you have no confidence in?

As to the Marauders, I believe even if they perform like a $1,000 plus FX, Falcon or AA410, the "Crosman critics" of the Airgun world will no doubt pick ALL kinds of "nits" with it at $500.

As to the Disco trigger, it's not "hard" so much as it is long and a bit spongy out of the box. There are several trigger mods you can do. I tuned mine to a nice crisp single at just at just under 3 lbs.
Last edited by jimairgun on March 15th, 2009, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 16th, 2009, 12:49 am #3

It's either coming from Mac1 or Mountain Air. My concern is the trigger pull. I've ready some are ok some are hard to pull. I already have money set aside for the Marauder even though I had my heart set on a Korean hammer. Need to try and keep my money here in the USA. How are you guys triggers ( spoiled buy my R-9 trigger) what kind of numbers are you getting and full power shot count and the accuracy at hunting distances. I've seen accuracy issues a olt with this gun. I'm guessing that my not be an issue from Mac or Roy. Thanks in advance

Jason
that is truly amazing. I'm primarily a hunter, so I don't get too hung up on high shot counts. What i want is consistency and accuracy. I've been playing around with the power adjuster on mine, and I now have it giving me 15 shots, starting with the first shot from a fresh fill, at an average velocity of 879 fps, with only a 5 fps spread from the first to 15th shot.

Fifteen shots is at least two days of tree squirrel hunting in my neck of the woods. The trigger on mine breaks at just under 3 pounds. I like that in a field gun. Here's a couple of 5 shot groups with the 16 grain JSB Exacts at 30 yards.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Last edited by VarmintAir on March 16th, 2009, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 16th, 2009, 1:30 am #4

Jason
Like an FX Whisper,FX 2000 and Monsoon, and an Air Arms 410,an RWS Rapier(also an FX made rifle).

If he thinks the Disco is a good field gun, then I'd take his word for it..LOL..

March 16th, 2009, 2:50 am #5

10 months or so. I have also owned several Beemans (an R7, R9 and R1)
My .177 Discovery is more accurate than ANY- and I mean ANY -of the Beeman's I have ever owned or shot. The Disco will shot sub 1" groups at 50 yards on demand under decent conditions with its favorite pellets.It has gone as small as 1/2" for five shots at 50 yards with no wind.

So, I guess I am just a little confused about the "accuracy issues" you mention hearing about.I am also confused as to why you would spend the $$$ on a gun that you have no confidence in?

As to the Marauders, I believe even if they perform like a $1,000 plus FX, Falcon or AA410, the "Crosman critics" of the Airgun world will no doubt pick ALL kinds of "nits" with it at $500.

As to the Disco trigger, it's not "hard" so much as it is long and a bit spongy out of the box. There are several trigger mods you can do. I tuned mine to a nice crisp single at just at just under 3 lbs.
Just doing some investigating and home work. No different than buying a car or anything else. I work part time in a gun shop and I see people come in and pay a gun just because there friend said they should buy the gun only to turn around and trade it in because it fit well or suit there shooting style or other needs. I can't have confidence in something I've only read about and not asked questions about. I thank you for your input I hope I will have the luck you do with my purchase.

March 16th, 2009, 2:55 am #6

that is truly amazing. I'm primarily a hunter, so I don't get too hung up on high shot counts. What i want is consistency and accuracy. I've been playing around with the power adjuster on mine, and I now have it giving me 15 shots, starting with the first shot from a fresh fill, at an average velocity of 879 fps, with only a 5 fps spread from the first to 15th shot.

Fifteen shots is at least two days of tree squirrel hunting in my neck of the woods. The trigger on mine breaks at just under 3 pounds. I like that in a field gun. Here's a couple of 5 shot groups with the 16 grain JSB Exacts at 30 yards.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Thanks VarmintAir. I'm looking at it for a pest gun so high shot count is the least of my concern. I guess I should had worded that part differently. Consistancy and accuracy is all i'm worried about and 15 full power shots is plenty for what I want to do. I think I've read something you've written on the Discovery i'll have to go through some of my past reading. Thanks again all good info.

March 16th, 2009, 3:05 am #7

Just doing some investigating and home work. No different than buying a car or anything else. I work part time in a gun shop and I see people come in and pay a gun just because there friend said they should buy the gun only to turn around and trade it in because it fit well or suit there shooting style or other needs. I can't have confidence in something I've only read about and not asked questions about. I thank you for your input I hope I will have the luck you do with my purchase.
I guess I am a little testy in defense of the Disco . I am simply amazed at some of the folks here and other places who have constantly criticized the Disco based on hearsay or picking nits. Or the number of folks who slam the gun for not being perfect at a little over $200.

I certainly cannot blame you for doing some research -just keep an open mind. Many folks expect a British Falcon or Daystate for under $250. Not me, I respect the Disco for what it is- an accurate easy to use and hard hitting little PCP for the price.

For what it's worth I DO NOT like the Discovery stocks at all!!I am currently doing something to rectify that.
Last edited by jimairgun on March 16th, 2009, 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 16th, 2009, 3:48 am #8

You know james I think they could have done a better job with the shape of the stock. I don't care about the wood type as it will be a field gun but it doesn't look like the ergonomics are very good! I'm going to make my decision in the next week or so. I'll post back here after I have one in hand. Thanks

March 16th, 2009, 3:57 am #9

Scope use- or use by normal sized adults with all five fingers in their trigger hand...LOL

It would make a nice canoe paddle though..

March 16th, 2009, 4:00 am #10

Thanks VarmintAir. I'm looking at it for a pest gun so high shot count is the least of my concern. I guess I should had worded that part differently. Consistancy and accuracy is all i'm worried about and 15 full power shots is plenty for what I want to do. I think I've read something you've written on the Discovery i'll have to go through some of my past reading. Thanks again all good info.
to do some ground squirrel hunting, and I will be hunting my .22 Disco right along with some guns that cost five and six times more. I did the same thing last year with my .177 Mac1 Disco, and never once did I wish I was hunting with one of my other guns. They don't have the high dollar wood and finish of some of my other guns, but where the rubber meets the road for me, is accuracy, and in that department, both of my Disco's hold their own very well against some of my shiny, gorgeous high dollar PCP's.

I'll have a bunch of video clips and stills to share when I get back from the hunt. The Discovery is a great hunting rifle. Accurate, light, fast handling, and powerful enough to take ground squirrels at 70+ yards. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Is it a show piece? Not really, but it does what it was designed to do very, very, well.