Looking for an air gun smith for my MAR177

Looking for an air gun smith for my MAR177

April 12th, 2013, 5:49 pm #1

Hey,
Looking for a smith to upgrade my MAR177 for field target, any suggestions?
Thanks
Pat

April 13th, 2013, 2:16 am #2

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/MAR1 ... 20LIST.pdf

this has the drawings and part list for the MAR177. This is really a dedicated 3 position shooting upper. I know the Crosman folks were shooting 10M guns that were cranked up to around 16 fpe and were shooting FT in the 2010 Nationals.

You need a chrony. First off I would play with the hammer spring tension and see where that gets you. You could find a spring of similar size, but stronger and get some more power. Also I would play with the striker as well. The transfer port is .04 in the MAR. I would buy a few of them and gradually enlarge to find an optimum balance of power and shot count. So that would be the last thing to mess with. Study the parts diagram. You may wanna research this more carefully than I did. But this is a start.

I think that for FT Shooting, you would be better off with a .177 Marauder rifle as it would be a more suitable platform as it has a more tunable trigger and power plant. If I were you, I would get in touch with a fella named Kevin on the Yellow Classifieds. He is a dealer and often sells refurbished Marauders and Discoverys. Buy a refurbished gun. If you don't like the way the barrel shoots after giving it a good cleaning and shooting 1000 10.5's out of it...then take the plunge for a drop in Jim Gaska LW barrel. Then you have something. The kid that won the Nationals in 2011 used a modified Marauder. It was shroudless...I think it had an airstipper...a regulator..and perhaps alittle valve work. Anyways the Marauders are great guns. I have played with a few. If I didn't already have so many irons in the fire, I would have one of them as well.

Dutch

Self proclaimed shootinist sumbitch...there ever was almost!!
Its hard bein shootinst sum bitch...welp not its not.
started @ 252 compressor fills in 6/22/08
120 compressor fills and I have broke even.
75 fills total.
And aaain't it grrreaaat to be livinnn in the USA.
I never whacked a pigeon, starling, or sparrow that didn't deserve it!!!
1546 and countin....on pigeons..
starling count started 19--
Last edited by Dutch.22 on April 13th, 2013, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2013, 1:38 am #3

Thanks, I appreciate the drawing. I will look at getting some ports for it and trying that. I really like the upper, it's a blast to shoot in the basement. A real tack driver, that's for sure. It's nice to have a picture of the upper. Plus I can look at what guy have done with the Marauders.
Thanks Dutch
pat

April 15th, 2013, 3:27 pm #4

Hey,
Thanks
Pat
<p>THe MAR wasnt designed for FT or nor any kind of shooting where power is called for. It may be possible to run the MAR harder, but I 'd be willing to bet accuracy will suffer as would service life. Remember what it was desisgned for.</p><p>ANd since the LOWER receiver is the part considered a firearm, showing up at a match with a powder burner is likley to get you asked to put that thing back in your car.</p><p> </p>

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

April 15th, 2013, 9:18 pm #5

That's what I figured, why I asked the question about the lower. Figured they would say what you just did. I asked on the FT forum but haven't received an answer. And yes, it's designed for what I am using it for right now, not FT but I figure it never hurts to ask.
Thanks
Pat
Last edited by hddriver1 on April 15th, 2013, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 20th, 2013, 1:44 am #6

Hey,
Thanks
Pat
Pat
I got my MAR upper last fall and by XMAS I was asking the same question. The gun is a well balanced and I have found that, for me, it is very easy to be accurate in the off hand shots due to the balance and weight. It needs a little more power. I have tested it out to 35 yds or so and it will hold a 1/2" group no problem. Beyond that it starts to open up and by 50 yrds it is shooting about 1.25" groups. I am not experienced enough to tune it my self. I have a chatted with a guy that does real well with tuning the marauders and he said he would at least take a look at it to see if anything can be done without out major mods. If you are interested I will keep you posted.
Greg

April 20th, 2013, 1:44 am #7

Hey,
Thanks
Pat
Pat
I got my MAR upper last fall and by XMAS I was asking the same question. The gun is a well balanced and I have found that, for me, it is very easy to be accurate in the off hand shots due to the balance and weight. It needs a little more power. I have tested it out to 35 yds or so and it will hold a 1/2" group no problem. Beyond that it starts to open up and by 50 yrds it is shooting about 1.25" groups. I am not experienced enough to tune it my self. I have a chatted with a guy that does real well with tuning the marauders and he said he would at least take a look at it to see if anything can be done without out major mods. If you are interested I will keep you posted.
Greg

April 27th, 2013, 8:15 pm #8

Greg,

Thanks for the offer but I am going to sell mine if I can. I'll pick up a Marauder and set one up for field target. If you know anyone looking you can point them my way, I have a few extras for it.
Thanks again
Pat

June 14th, 2013, 7:03 pm #9

<p>THe MAR wasnt designed for FT or nor any kind of shooting where power is called for. It may be possible to run the MAR harder, but I 'd be willing to bet accuracy will suffer as would service life. Remember what it was desisgned for.</p><p>ANd since the LOWER receiver is the part considered a firearm, showing up at a match with a powder burner is likley to get you asked to put that thing back in your car.</p><p> </p>

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic
I looked into using this for Field Target and it is not a problem. I have to up the fps but that will not "ruin" the upper. If that's the case then almost all of the air rifles that people get modded are ruined and will not last for long. The barrel is a Lothar Walther and increasing the fps will not even cause it to blink, let alone get "shot out" by some lead pellets at 835 fps. The only thing I really need to do, well more than one, is adjust the size of the transfer port (I ordered 4 from Crosman today), lower the trigger pull (already done, under 1# now) and increase the length of my reservoir to give me a little higher shot count and maybe install a regulator. I will also need to design some kind of knee rest (ordered a spare magazine to modify) and I need a good scope but to get it shooting I will settle for what ever I can afford. There is already a course of fire designed around the MAR177 called NMAR but I haven't even looked into that.
Pat

March 18th, 2014, 4:34 pm #10

Pat
Greg
Greg,

Hi there! I'm a fellow MAR177 owner and would really like to hear any updates & experience you've had with tuning or upgrading your MAR177.

I also recently picked up a Benjamin Marauder .22, which I've fallen in love with. I really dig all the tuning mods and upgrades for it that've been well documented by the airgun community. I'm hoping to find the same for the MAR177.

Most importantly, I'd like to find a solution for integrating a regulator into its airflow. That'd make a world of difference with that single mod alone in terms of improving the the MAR177's shot string consistency and overall accuracy. The very things that National Match shooters demand of their rifles.

Why in the world Crosman would not have added an inline regulator to its design baffles me. I was adding regulators to paintball markers back in 2000 and getting great results from it.

I hope to hear from you or anyone else on updated MAR177 tuning info soon.

Cheers!!