Live report from the gun auction

Live report from the gun auction

March 25th, 2012, 12:58 am #1

I have been at the gun auction for the past 6 hours, and it's going to go on for 2 or 3 more. For those of you lamenting your lack of access to all the bargains, here is your relief - there were enough gun-loving guys with deep pockets at the auction to assure that very few screaming deals slipped through on the auction stand.

I took enough cash to come home with 20-30 guns, and have 2 so far. There was guy who was buying up most of the big bores. Nice guy, who knew what he wanted, and he would just keep upping the bid until he was the last man standing. At last count he had bought 5 Korean big bores, 3 Jack Haley's and 2 DAQ's.

And the antique gun guys were in full swing too - they were tossing out $500 bids on old guns with foreign names, most of which had seen better days, but apparently coveted by the historical collector crew.

So, there were some decents buys, especially if you were going to use the gun yourself and not re-sell. But the 10-15% sales premium on top of the price, and if shipping on top of that, put you right up to market price on most of what I saw sold.

Of course, a good time was had by all, and I enjoyed chatting with other gun-guys, and watching a few peel off $5,000 in purchases over a few hours.

March 25th, 2012, 1:30 am #2

Yes, thats usually how gun auctions go, "I paid 100.00 more than it was worth but i won the bid!!"

Shootem all like you mean it.

March 25th, 2012, 1:45 am #3

I have been at the gun auction for the past 6 hours, and it's going to go on for 2 or 3 more. For those of you lamenting your lack of access to all the bargains, here is your relief - there were enough gun-loving guys with deep pockets at the auction to assure that very few screaming deals slipped through on the auction stand.

I took enough cash to come home with 20-30 guns, and have 2 so far. There was guy who was buying up most of the big bores. Nice guy, who knew what he wanted, and he would just keep upping the bid until he was the last man standing. At last count he had bought 5 Korean big bores, 3 Jack Haley's and 2 DAQ's.

And the antique gun guys were in full swing too - they were tossing out $500 bids on old guns with foreign names, most of which had seen better days, but apparently coveted by the historical collector crew.

So, there were some decents buys, especially if you were going to use the gun yourself and not re-sell. But the 10-15% sales premium on top of the price, and if shipping on top of that, put you right up to market price on most of what I saw sold.

Of course, a good time was had by all, and I enjoyed chatting with other gun-guys, and watching a few peel off $5,000 in purchases over a few hours.
Wasn't there, but I was online bidding. Spent several hours prior auction combing through the catalog picking a lot list. I too was pretty surprised and dissapointed that most things ended up at market price with a few exceptions. I'd hit a max bid and the price would drive up another $200-300. I just couldn't compete and keep to my budget. Was pretty fun though to see what people paid for what I thought was a bit useless, but I guess some folks will pay for history and connection they had with that gun. This was my first live bidding auction and I've come to see why people get addicted to it. I just had to keep telling myself I only had $600 to spend...which is apparently chump change LOL!.

However I got the one I was really wanting, now if I can just get someone to tell me more about it lol. Closely resembles a Falcon or the older Titans. However title said custom so I'm not sure whats so custom about it. Maybe a sharper eye than mine can fill me in.

Semper FI,
Derek

March 25th, 2012, 1:48 am #4

On a couple guns, but they quickly passed my cap...... They went for more than I could get them on the used gun market...good for the estate though and there were some nice guns.

http://americanairgunhunter.com
<a href="http://americanairgunhunter.com" rel="nofollow">http://americanairgunhunter.com</a>

March 25th, 2012, 2:01 am #5

Wasn't there, but I was online bidding. Spent several hours prior auction combing through the catalog picking a lot list. I too was pretty surprised and dissapointed that most things ended up at market price with a few exceptions. I'd hit a max bid and the price would drive up another $200-300. I just couldn't compete and keep to my budget. Was pretty fun though to see what people paid for what I thought was a bit useless, but I guess some folks will pay for history and connection they had with that gun. This was my first live bidding auction and I've come to see why people get addicted to it. I just had to keep telling myself I only had $600 to spend...which is apparently chump change LOL!.

However I got the one I was really wanting, now if I can just get someone to tell me more about it lol. Closely resembles a Falcon or the older Titans. However title said custom so I'm not sure whats so custom about it. Maybe a sharper eye than mine can fill me in.

Semper FI,
Derek
Any other photos of it?

Certainly lookssssssssssssssss like an old titan.

could be a real ssssssssssscore if you stayed within your budget!

ssssSnake

March 25th, 2012, 2:04 am #6

Semper FI,
Derek
Bowketts fingerprints/influence are all over that gun. nt
Last edited by klentz on March 25th, 2012, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 25th, 2012, 2:06 am #7

Any other photos of it?

Certainly lookssssssssssssssss like an old titan.

could be a real ssssssssssscore if you stayed within your budget!

ssssSnake

Not much to go on I know, but it's just the pictures that were in the catalog. I did stay within my budget, I think i got a pretty good deal on this one. What do you think, any more info gleamed from this pic?

Semper Fi,
Derek

March 25th, 2012, 2:07 am #8

tt

March 25th, 2012, 2:17 am #9

Not much to go on I know, but it's just the pictures that were in the catalog. I did stay within my budget, I think i got a pretty good deal on this one. What do you think, any more info gleamed from this pic?

Semper Fi,
Derek
Yeah, i just found that image. Has to be an early Titan. Condition looks fantastic!

I ssssssssssssay you ssssssssssssSCORED!

ssssSnake

March 25th, 2012, 2:18 am #10

tt
one of John Bowketts creations from the 80s or 90's..... I almost bid on that gun, good buy Derek!

http://americanairgunhunter.com
<a href="http://americanairgunhunter.com" rel="nofollow">http://americanairgunhunter.com</a>