Let the Gun Pick the Pellet it Likes

Let the Gun Pick the Pellet it Likes

March 1st, 2010, 1:20 pm #1

I've been reading alot of post on the web/sites about this gun not liking this pellet,or that gun ONLY shoots THAT pellet well. It seems that alot of air rifle owners are bent,on their gun shooting the pellet that THEY like! I've shot High Power for years,and I'm as guilty as the next guy,wanting a certain bullet to perform well,in a certain gun. But the BOTTOM line is the gun is gonna shoot what IT LIKES best,air or centerfire. I learned to look at bullets/pellets in the weight range I wanted,then try diffrent ones within that range,and let the gun "show me" what it likes. If you have to go to a diffrent pellet weight (lighter,or heavier) to get the accuracy you want,then a barrel change might be in order. My .177 Mrod just hates Crow Magnums! My R9 just loves them. I really like the smack they deliver at short range (20-30yds) on vermon,and was dissapointed that the Mrod didn't shoot them well. I've also got alot of CPL's (another favorite of the R9),the Mrod,on the other hand, spits them out like trying to feed a toddler in a highchair spinach. It hates them,and has NO problem showing you it does, (looks like I've got a lifetime supply of them for the R9)!LOL! Sofar the Mrod really shines with the CPH's! It thinks they are the greatest pellet in the world! I don't! I think they are dirty,need washed,and lubed,but the Mrod is a "happy camper" as long as it's eating them ! It shoots them extreemly accurate,so I might as well go with the flow,and feed them to it! LOL! But I'm not done yet! I know there is another pellet out there(some where) that will shoot better than the CPL's (I really doubt it) but I'm gonna keep trying! I'm just not gonna loose any sleep over it! LOL! Ron
Last edited by rks1949 on March 1st, 2010, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 1st, 2010, 4:36 pm #2

Along with great advice....which I too don't seem to be able to just accept and be happy with and go enjoy the gun.

I just hope this pathway really leads to true enlightenment.....or at least has an end somewhere?

Thanks. BTW, I love your sense of humor on the topic, it's gotta help.

Doug Owen

March 1st, 2010, 7:18 pm #3

I was bound and determined that the Mrod was gonna shoot cpl's(I've got a ton of them) fast,and accurate. It does shoot them fast,but more like a shotgun,instead of a rifle! LOL!I'm having more fun shooting it now,since I've quit trying to "force feed it" something it dosen't like! Ron

March 1st, 2010, 10:21 pm #4

Funny, I don't recall you at Group Meetings.....you must belong to another support group?

Doug Owen

March 2nd, 2010, 3:16 am #5

I've been reading alot of post on the web/sites about this gun not liking this pellet,or that gun ONLY shoots THAT pellet well. It seems that alot of air rifle owners are bent,on their gun shooting the pellet that THEY like! I've shot High Power for years,and I'm as guilty as the next guy,wanting a certain bullet to perform well,in a certain gun. But the BOTTOM line is the gun is gonna shoot what IT LIKES best,air or centerfire. I learned to look at bullets/pellets in the weight range I wanted,then try diffrent ones within that range,and let the gun "show me" what it likes. If you have to go to a diffrent pellet weight (lighter,or heavier) to get the accuracy you want,then a barrel change might be in order. My .177 Mrod just hates Crow Magnums! My R9 just loves them. I really like the smack they deliver at short range (20-30yds) on vermon,and was dissapointed that the Mrod didn't shoot them well. I've also got alot of CPL's (another favorite of the R9),the Mrod,on the other hand, spits them out like trying to feed a toddler in a highchair spinach. It hates them,and has NO problem showing you it does, (looks like I've got a lifetime supply of them for the R9)!LOL! Sofar the Mrod really shines with the CPH's! It thinks they are the greatest pellet in the world! I don't! I think they are dirty,need washed,and lubed,but the Mrod is a "happy camper" as long as it's eating them ! It shoots them extreemly accurate,so I might as well go with the flow,and feed them to it! LOL! But I'm not done yet! I know there is another pellet out there(some where) that will shoot better than the CPL's (I really doubt it) but I'm gonna keep trying! I'm just not gonna loose any sleep over it! LOL! Ron
I have tested three different .177 rifles:

Haenel 303 did best with CP Hollow points & RWS Super domes; CPLs did poorly

R1 groups Ram Jets in less than half the size of CPLs or CPHs

HaleStorm shoots the CPH better than anything else - it will do .5" groups at 50 yards with them.

Paul in Liberty County

March 2nd, 2010, 6:36 am #6

my .22 mrod shoots the cp's ok, but will shoot the jsb 15.8 pellets nearly into the same hole off the bench at 25 yards.

March 2nd, 2010, 11:38 am #7

Funny, I don't recall you at Group Meetings.....you must belong to another support group?

Doug Owen
Gun NUT's Are US! I've been in "treatment" for 5 years (it dosen't work) thank God. It's ran by a bunch of "crazy females" that THINK I should waste my money on my wife,for things like a "second dress" or,a extra pair of shoes! It's pretty easy to see the motivation,behind their thinking! But they haven't broke me yet! They can set by and watch you suffer with equipment,that's been obsolete for at least a week,and want you to spend the money on socks,tupperware,perfume,ect. Ya gotta watch out! It's a sinister plan to get your air gun money! Ron
Last edited by rks1949 on March 2nd, 2010, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 2nd, 2010, 1:40 pm #8

I know the type. They think the kids need shoes in the summer time even when you're running low on .20 Preditors......

I got yer six, when they break for tea, go for the door and don't look back.

Reminds me of the drunk that wonders into the AA meeting and asks, 'are you the guys with the 12 step program for drinkers?' only to be asked 'yes, would you like to join us?'. He straightens up and says 'NO WAY! I came to resign'.

Keep the faith.

Doug Owen

March 2nd, 2010, 1:42 pm #9

my .22 mrod shoots the cp's ok, but will shoot the jsb 15.8 pellets nearly into the same hole off the bench at 25 yards.
I have two Marauders with the exact opposite 'tastes'. 15.9 grain exacts all over, CPs best of all. Go figure.

Doug Owen

March 2nd, 2010, 2:11 pm #10

a hunter, my guns MUST like to dine on Predators...if they don't, they either don't stay long, or they recieve new components....lol....

While my Mrod is truly impressive with several pellets, especially the H&N Barracuda Match and Logun Penetrators, and will stack cheapo Benji HP's on top of one another at 50yds as well, I really wanted it to shoot JSB exacts...and predators...lol...

Well, I got the longer LW barrel from Greg, but the bark was a bit more than my hunting grounds could tolerate, so the stock barrel went back in, and the LW barrel back to Greg for a trim down to stock length......however, I was extremely fortunate to discover that the factory barrel really likes the predators too...I had tried a few hand-loaded prior and it didn't seem to like them....however, after Greg Modded my mags, the gun came alive with the Preds through the mags....

So, since it shoots the preds well, I've resigned to feed her what she likes for plinking, especially since she likes the budget pellets....buy a couple of tins...wash them well, and lube them up....due to the way the Mrod barrel is choked, and the hardness of the Benji HP's, they're the only pellets I lube, for the only rifle....consequently, after a disastrous squirrel hunt last fall, I learned that if you are going to shoot a lubed pellet, you better lube your hunting pellets as well.....so I lube the preds for the Mrod as well....

s/f

Jamie