Leapers v. Bushnell v. Vortex

Leapers v. Bushnell v. Vortex

December 20th, 2011, 5:04 am #1

Which is the best springer-rated scope in the $200 price range ?
Leapers TS
Bushnell Banner / Trophy
Vortex Diamonback
Something else ?

Leapers has sidefocus. Are the other 2 better is some way ? ie: Sharper or brighter optics, more consistency, better durability, etc ?

Thanks,
John

December 20th, 2011, 3:08 pm #2

has been "bullet proof" on my R9 & HW77. My last remaining 4-16 Bushy Elite 4200 with AO has also done well for several years, however I did send in a previous 4200 AO due to a ring inside coming loose and scratching up the inside of the front lens. Since Bushnell had discontinued the 4-16 AO model they replaced it with the new (at the time) sidewheel 4-16 4200 but it wouldn't focus closer than 20 yards unlike the AO model that will focus down to 10 yards. Bushnell no longer offers the 4-16x40 Elite 4200 but it carried a $400+ price. By the way, I recently mounted my last 4-16 Elite 4200 on an R9 and I do have to say that the optics are a TAD crisper than the 4-12 Diamondback which I also consider to have excellent optics. Also, the Bushy has a bit longer eye relief and the AO will turn about 1/4 more than the Diamondback "stop to stop" which will spread out range marks a bit.

I don't know about the Leapers concerning durability but I did look through a 8-32 (I think) at a DIFTA match and I was really impressed with the optics of that particular scope considering the price.
Last edited by nced1 on December 20th, 2011, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 20th, 2011, 4:03 pm #3

Thanks Ed.
Was the diamondback just a tad sharper and brighter than the leapers, or significantly better?
John

December 20th, 2011, 4:44 pm #4

at 8-32x it wasn't the "cheapie WallyWorld variant" however the optics were good enough that I questioned why anyone would pony up the coin for a high end scope based SOLELY on the optics. Perhaps the owner of the Leapers I've mentioned would speak up here because I understand that he has experience with several Leapers varieties.

I do have to say though that I WAS impressed with the clarity by trying to define killzone details. I don't have a clue about flare if sunlight is shining on the front lense, but my experience is that the low cost scopes I've used are pretty weak in this area.

-bp

December 20th, 2011, 5:28 pm #5

is a 4-16x56 SF MILDOT. it cost about $214 with the sidewheel (extra).

with the 56mm objective, it is as good a rangefinder as you can get using 12x unless you get a larger objective (e.g., 60mm, maybe as much as 80mm) and those quickly become really expensive.

it's sharp, nice features, works well and not expensive. i haven't used any of the others so i can't say anything about them.

the only way to get better rangefinding at 12x is to use a larger objective, and that's not nearly as effective as using a higher power. magnification is cheap; objective diameter is very expensive.

-bp

December 20th, 2011, 6:41 pm #6

at 8-32x it wasn't the "cheapie WallyWorld variant" however the optics were good enough that I questioned why anyone would pony up the coin for a high end scope based SOLELY on the optics. Perhaps the owner of the Leapers I've mentioned would speak up here because I understand that he has experience with several Leapers varieties.

I do have to say though that I WAS impressed with the clarity by trying to define killzone details. I don't have a clue about flare if sunlight is shining on the front lense, but my experience is that the low cost scopes I've used are pretty weak in this area.
The 8-32 has disappeared from the retail world, seems to be discountinued.

I've have a couple of those and several other leapers. Maybe I'm not real picky but I've had very good luck with the side focus leapers. Good (as far as I'm concerned) optics cross the board and I really can't complain about the rangefinding. The clicks however, are not as repeatable as a FT shooter would demand. Not an issue in HFT. For other than plinking and low mag (for hunting) I'm not a fan of the front AO leapers or centerpoints. I've been through many. Half of wich were returned for not focusing down to 10y or being VERY stiff to turn (these things I am picky about), the keepers are one the kids rifles as the "best" I found for the price. And they are not bad at all it was just the hit or miss nature of finding 4 for the kids.

If you look on the Leapers website not only will you see the 8-32 is gone but much (maybe all) the full size scopes now look like the centerpoints with the angled 'shade' over the objective. If this represents a fundamental change for Leapers, then they are going to have to prove themselves again to me.

I also happen to own 1 8-32 centerpoint. I like the leapers better in all respects but not by a large margine. My biggest issue is the angled shade over the objective which doesn't actually shade anything and the cooresponding lack of screw on shades. Maybe with the change in the leapers line screw in shades will become available that may also fit the centerpoints.

My wife bought me a scope for Chistmas. I ordered it but she's holding it for me to open with all the other gifts. I was going to get another of the 8-32's but even though I found a few still in stock out there in internet land, I just couldn't do it since they have currently have nothing comparable to offer as a warranty replacement. Instead I picked up a Hawk with the half mil-dot reticle which will be, by far, the most expensive scope i've owned. (and of course I had to confirm that it has a 12 on the magnification ring)

I won't be able compare optics until the wife decides that its Christmas. That's the last time I tell her where I ordered something from. She knew what to look for and snaged it before I got home. (I was going to open it and put a different scope inside the box, she'd NEVER have known)

December 21st, 2011, 12:20 am #7

giving the "real skinny"!

December 21st, 2011, 5:40 pm #8

Which is the best springer-rated scope in the $200 price range ?
Leapers TS
Bushnell Banner / Trophy
Vortex Diamonback
Something else ?

Leapers has sidefocus. Are the other 2 better is some way ? ie: Sharper or brighter optics, more consistency, better durability, etc ?

Thanks,
John
John,

I own a Leapers 8-32, multiple Bushnell Elite 8-32, 6-24, Leupold, etc. The Leapers scope was about $150 back when I bought it on sale, and it's not bad. I have it on a TX200, and it has held up well. However, there is no comparison to the Bushnell Elite series.

My Bushnell Elite's all have superb glass, where the Leapers would rank as pretty good. The Elite series are all repeatable when clicking the turrets, but my Leapers was always a bit questionable. So, I primarily used the mil dots on the Leapers, rather than depending on clicking with it. One last thing that I noticed about the Leapers was the propensity for it to wash out when shooting into the sun. I have not noticed this issue with the Bushnell.

So, overall the Bushnell wins hands down. The typical cost of a Bushnell Elite 8-32 runs about $350 used on the classifieds. If you can scrape up the $$, go for the Bushnell. If you don't need a really good target scope, the Leapers will probably be fine.

Best of luck choosing!

Harold
Last edited by Thepointman on December 21st, 2011, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold Rushton

December 22nd, 2011, 11:07 pm #9

Thanks Harold. I'd heard the Bushy Elites and Hawkes were great scopes, but I was looking at the next level down. ie: Bushnell Trophy (which I think may be the same as the Bushnell Banner with an extra coating to make brown trees look difference from brown deer).

Have you ever compared the Leapers to the Bushnell Banner or Trophy ?

Thanks,
John

December 23rd, 2011, 4:26 am #10

<p>and, IMO, I don't think the lower Bushy's are any better than the Leapers, except that they don't flare like the Leapers do in direct sunlight.</p><p>RicG</p>