LD - where did you pick up the tripod you are using for HFT?

LD - where did you pick up the tripod you are using for HFT?

December 9th, 2010, 9:39 pm #1

I liked the hand crank for the vertical adjustment. Thanks!

Casey

lhd

December 9th, 2010, 10:27 pm #2

Walmart. I think it was around $25 or so. I bet a pawn shop or Goodwill store would be a good place to look first (though ones in my area dint have any).

December 9th, 2010, 11:43 pm #3

seems to me that it's verging on 'Bench Rest' Hunter Field Target with such a stable shooting platform !
No-wonder your scores are so high !
LOL

Stay well -

December 10th, 2010, 12:14 am #4

fundamentally, there is no difference.

but, we have already had this discussion.

lhd

December 10th, 2010, 1:16 am #5

seems to me that it's verging on 'Bench Rest' Hunter Field Target with such a stable shooting platform !
LOL

Stay well -
You were at the last match, and had ample opportunity to watch me shoot, and, I believe you DID watch a couple times. Seems strange you would ask here when you already know the answer.

I never shoot the gun in competition with all three legs on the ground. I only have two legs deployed on the unit, making it a bipod while aiming and shooting.
Last edited by lhd on December 10th, 2010, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lhd

December 10th, 2010, 1:17 am #6

fundamentally, there is no difference.

but, we have already had this discussion.
Just stirring it I guess.

December 10th, 2010, 3:59 am #7

You were at the last match, and had ample opportunity to watch me shoot, and, I believe you DID watch a couple times. Seems strange you would ask here when you already know the answer.

I never shoot the gun in competition with all three legs on the ground. I only have two legs deployed on the unit, making it a bipod while aiming and shooting.

December 10th, 2010, 4:43 am #8

Walmart. I think it was around $25 or so. I bet a pawn shop or Goodwill store would be a good place to look first (though ones in my area dint have any).
To take the heat on this,that is.Too many whiners, so little time...c

lhd

December 10th, 2010, 5:23 am #9

A few months ago, I saw a couple young guys at Prado using these camera tripods and I really felt foolish! By the simple expedient of leaving one leg up, they had fine, inexpensive bipods that were easily adjustable and seemingly more useful than regular crossed stix. I had already purchased a regular Harris type shooting bipod, but abandoned it after a short trial and bought the camera rig from Walmart ... I like it much better.

I have a hole in my rifle's forend so I can just drop the gun onto the tripod and use it as a stand, then, when I'm going to shoot, I adjust the legs out to my marked positions and use it as a bipod. I have made extra clearance on the mount hole to allow the gun to tilt up and down or side to side a bit, which allows me to level the rifle without a lot of fiddling with leg heights if the ground is a bit uneven. When I want to shoot offhand, I simply lift the gun up off the tripod and leave it standing there. I have my pellets in a little pouch hanging on the central shaft, and plan to also mount a waterbottle holder (bicycle bottle clip) as well. I sit on a very light and low folding aluminum footstool I found at Target. All-up weight of stool, tripod, and rifle with fixed 10X scope is less than most competitive custom TX200's I see on the line.

December 10th, 2010, 6:58 am #10

LOL

Stay well -
It is what it is, because it is!!!