Late season rabbit hunt-*GRAPHIC*

Late season rabbit hunt-*GRAPHIC*

March 17th, 2012, 5:57 pm #1

It's raining in California (at last!)So since I'm stuck inside, here's a hunting post for ya.
I live on a small farm which is leased by two farmers who grow for the local farmer's markets. It's a ton of work and I help out by keeping the numbers down on rabbits and ground squirrels.
Here's the view out the back door.

I walk loops around the farm with my dog every morning and evening which gives me a good idea where the critters are at any given time of day.

This spot is usually good for few rabbits as they graze the edges and move through the brush.

Here's another good area between upper and lower fields.

Another area to watch as the critters sneak out into the fields.

Here's a good morning's worth-I don't like to process more than four at a time, so I usually hang it up at that point, especially since I work at home and am needing to get to it by then!

My R9 .22 is just about perfect for this type of hunt, not too heavy and very capable of threading through the brush for a head shot.

My latest recipe- baked in a mustard/honey/garlic sauce which I make into a gravy while I pull the meat- served over real mashed 'taters with veggies from the farm!

Shoot safely all!
John

March 18th, 2012, 2:37 pm #2

Thanks for the photos John. It is snowing here this morning, and I am recovering from back surgery, so the only hunting I can do right now is virtual. Can't quite tell where you are in California, but looks like near the coast?

March 18th, 2012, 10:39 pm #3

Used to do a lot of saltwater fishing, but have been hunting and pesting more lately. Good luck with your recovery, I have a couple family members with health issues right now and it's kickin' eveyones' butt! This weekend we had a late season storm that brought snow down to 2000 feet, which is rare around here.
John

April 13th, 2012, 5:21 am #4

It's raining in California (at last!)So since I'm stuck inside, here's a hunting post for ya.
I live on a small farm which is leased by two farmers who grow for the local farmer's markets. It's a ton of work and I help out by keeping the numbers down on rabbits and ground squirrels.
Here's the view out the back door.

I walk loops around the farm with my dog every morning and evening which gives me a good idea where the critters are at any given time of day.

This spot is usually good for few rabbits as they graze the edges and move through the brush.

Here's another good area between upper and lower fields.

Another area to watch as the critters sneak out into the fields.

Here's a good morning's worth-I don't like to process more than four at a time, so I usually hang it up at that point, especially since I work at home and am needing to get to it by then!

My R9 .22 is just about perfect for this type of hunt, not too heavy and very capable of threading through the brush for a head shot.

My latest recipe- baked in a mustard/honey/garlic sauce which I make into a gravy while I pull the meat- served over real mashed 'taters with veggies from the farm!

Shoot safely all!
John
John, is that Magic Chef/Gaffers & Sattler stove on propane?n/t

April 13th, 2012, 12:55 pm #5

Nope-natural gas nt