Last winter project … A little stock refinishing. Need some insight….

Last winter project … A little stock refinishing. Need some insight….

March 20th, 2017, 5:27 pm #1

I have a Mutant Shorty stock that was, as far I can tell, one of the early ones brought into the US, it’s simply awful. But also happens to be on a shorty that I’ve tuned to around 9 FPE and use to plink with the kids AND while around the firepit while I sit there with various family and friends. While I need to keep it functional (as in not destroying it), I’m totally willing to take a chance refinishing it.

The grain is visibly raised/ridged in qtr inch segments, the current color is an awful/thin/splotchy muddy brown.

I WILL be stripping this to bare wood and sanding smooth (at least as well as my skills allow) however the next step is still an open book that I’d like to prepare for.

I want to keep the grain and NOT paint it (although that would be so much easier). My hope/dream/wish would be to get near the RED you see in laminated stocks (like the RAW I’m looking at as I type). I know it’s diff wood and that I’m not going to be able to saturate it like they do with the thin birch boards they dye then press and glue together to make the lam boards they use to build the lam blasnks BUT want to get as close as I can.

Product / Process recommendations would be much appreciated. The last time I tried to dye a stock it was black and never got better the an ugly black/grey mix using HD wood stains.

Whether it be personal experience or internet guides, I would love to see tips on getting this as saturated a red as possible. If it ends up pink, at least I can try something darker before resorting to bedliner, or primer and paint.

Open to all input.

Jeff

March 20th, 2017, 6:38 pm #2

You may need to mix colors until you get the results that you're looking for.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1128.aspx

For a classic red finish you can't beat Feibings leather dye in mohogany. Haven't tried the red but it might be exactly what you need. Note: This stuff is for staining leather. It'll have the same effect on your skin. Don't ask how I know. You can't wash it off. It must be "worn" off!
https://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/dyes/?product=172
Last edited by razor62 on March 20th, 2017, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2017, 7:53 pm #3

Iffy, only because of the experience with the other (Home Depot) dye I tried. Even the leather dye is prob meant for submerging the leather and letting it soak in. I don't want to submerge the wood and let it sit. Afraid I'll take advantage of the poor grain in the WRONG way....

I may try the leather dye on some scrap. Thanks!!!!

March 20th, 2017, 8:03 pm #4

I have a Mutant Shorty stock that was, as far I can tell, one of the early ones brought into the US, it’s simply awful. But also happens to be on a shorty that I’ve tuned to around 9 FPE and use to plink with the kids AND while around the firepit while I sit there with various family and friends. While I need to keep it functional (as in not destroying it), I’m totally willing to take a chance refinishing it.

The grain is visibly raised/ridged in qtr inch segments, the current color is an awful/thin/splotchy muddy brown.

I WILL be stripping this to bare wood and sanding smooth (at least as well as my skills allow) however the next step is still an open book that I’d like to prepare for.

I want to keep the grain and NOT paint it (although that would be so much easier). My hope/dream/wish would be to get near the RED you see in laminated stocks (like the RAW I’m looking at as I type). I know it’s diff wood and that I’m not going to be able to saturate it like they do with the thin birch boards they dye then press and glue together to make the lam boards they use to build the lam blasnks BUT want to get as close as I can.

Product / Process recommendations would be much appreciated. The last time I tried to dye a stock it was black and never got better the an ugly black/grey mix using HD wood stains.

Whether it be personal experience or internet guides, I would love to see tips on getting this as saturated a red as possible. If it ends up pink, at least I can try something darker before resorting to bedliner, or primer and paint.

Open to all input.

Jeff
General finishes. They are sold by Woodcraft and/or Rockler. They have red. I stained/dyed my Steyr wood blue. Easy to use.
Also buy comparable reducer if you want it lighter color.
Last edited by DonC on March 20th, 2017, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2017, 8:47 pm #5

Iffy, only because of the experience with the other (Home Depot) dye I tried. Even the leather dye is prob meant for submerging the leather and letting it soak in. I don't want to submerge the wood and let it sit. Afraid I'll take advantage of the poor grain in the WRONG way....

pretty easy to control. I found that if the surface of the wood is burnished smooth then you can control the depth of the color by applying heavy wet coats and allowing it to soak in or wiping it away quickly based upon how rich or dark of a hue that you desire. It will darken by shades with each application.

This is an R10 that I refinished using mahogany leather dye. I could've easily gotten a deeper red by applying additional coats:

Here's a stock that I stained for a flintlock that I built. I used a home brewed stain called "aqua-fortis" for this color. Just like the gunsmiths of yesteryear used to do. It gives a reddish hue to light colored woods such as maple or beech.

March 20th, 2017, 9:45 pm #6

Open to all input.

Jeff
Its a combination of black that was applied three times and wiped own with a damp cloth each coat , and the about 4 coats of navy blue

March 20th, 2017, 9:53 pm #7

I use Fiebings, which is alcohol based, on soft woods like the maple and birch Daisy 753/853stocks. I thin it with denatured alcohol starting with about a 1:4 dye to alcohol ratio so it doesn't go on too dark. Easier to go darker with additional coats than lighter by re-sanding I get a nice tone with the dark red, medium brown and a drop or two of black (literally a drop or 2 - I use plastic pipettes to control the amount of dye that goes into the mixture).

March 20th, 2017, 10:26 pm #8

Open to all input.

Jeff
to whatever degree your comfortable with.....

couple coats of sanding sealer, then sand smooth gain them fog on a couple coats of transparent color (like Duplicoor's Anodized colors or some Kandy colors you'd normally use of metal flake)

I say fog on cuz you can easily and VERY quickly over do it.... dont ask how I know that...

color to where ya want it then a couple coats of compatible clear, sand smooth and buff out

Last edited by dan_house on March 20th, 2017, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2017, 2:03 pm #9

Open to all input.

Jeff
http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/t ... quid-dyes/

K

March 21st, 2017, 2:52 pm #10

Open to all input.

Jeff
I will have time this evening and maybe order some supplies. Sanding and stripping won't begin until Saturday.

I'll show you all what I come up with...