Kessler Arms Corporation, Silver Creek, NY

Kessler Arms Corporation, Silver Creek, NY

October 9th, 2008, 5:47 am #1

As I perused the Firearms Catalog, I saw a fascinating lever action shotgun. I then looked at their bolt action shotgun and saw a rather telltale trigger guard.

This sent me running to my AGD1, where I looked up a photo of a Kessler air rifle.

Looks like the same company.

The shotguns were made from 1951 and 53 and seemed to compete with the low cost Mossberg bolt action shotguns.

The Kessler air rifle resembled 1940's and 50's Crosman designs and claimed 750 fps in .22.

A brief web search only revealed that Kessler made guns for Montgomery Wards. It sounds like the company was near Rochester and near Crosman.

I'm most interested in the lever action shotgun, but that powerful air rifle arouses my curiousity as well.

Anybody know anything about this company and its guns?

October 9th, 2008, 9:51 am #2

the Roanoke show, had all 3 variants for sale as a set, for less than $200. Also, a few years back, I saw that gun parts corp. had some kessler airgun parts for sale, and I'm pretty sure some powder burner parts as well.
Last edited by jpsaxnc on October 9th, 2008, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 9th, 2008, 11:31 am #3

As I perused the Firearms Catalog, I saw a fascinating lever action shotgun. I then looked at their bolt action shotgun and saw a rather telltale trigger guard.

This sent me running to my AGD1, where I looked up a photo of a Kessler air rifle.

The shotguns were made from 1951 and 53 and seemed to compete with the low cost Mossberg bolt action shotguns.

The Kessler air rifle resembled 1940's and 50's Crosman designs and claimed 750 fps in .22.

A brief web search only revealed that Kessler made guns for Montgomery Wards. It sounds like the company was near Rochester and near Crosman.

I'm most interested in the lever action shotgun, but that powerful air rifle arouses my curiousity as well.

I had a Kessler .410 bolt action shotgun.
I sold it about a year ago.
Cheap gun, but very functional.

Thanks
Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska

October 9th, 2008, 12:08 pm #4

...when they went belly-up.

I have one of their cheesy 12 ga bolt action shotguns with 2 round detachable mag around here somewhere...

October 9th, 2008, 5:20 pm #5

This was my first pellet gun, purchased around 1953. It was a very well made gun and shot with authority.You can find out more about Kessler on the Vintage Airgun site.
Search their site and ck. their library.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/393389/t ... PELLET+GUN
Ejwills.

Sometimes silence is golden,sometimes it's not.
Last edited by oldwizzer on October 9th, 2008, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 9th, 2008, 6:44 pm #6

AGD1 says the Kessler with the one piece stock claimed "750 fps with easy pumping effort".

The Blue Book said it used a Sheridan A style ball valve.

Pretty powerful gun for the times when everybody was lucky to get 650 with 8-12 pumps and when springers were under 12 ft lbs.

I'm also be rather interested in finding the lever action shotgun. Valued at $150 and much less than a Winchester or Norinco lever scattergun. It'd also look OK with a Polychoke, if I didn't like the existing choke.

July 31st, 2014, 3:00 am #7

But what the heck.

Have had a 16ga kessler boltgun for quite a few years, and when i saw the triggerguard on a Kessler airgun, i too knew it had to be from the same company, which i think is cool. Found this thread, Posted

The shotguns seemed to hold up better than the airguns, simple as can be but mine and others i've seen occasionally all look rather good considering their age. Mine works flawlessly , was my uncle Johns goose gun for many many years. Full choke.

The airguns from the silvercreek manufacturer all seem pretty rough, treated worse no doubt..but the finish seems to have peeled off too, like they were probably painted rather than blued. Receivers anyways. Seems most all of them still work however and while they might not shoot 750fps as advertised 12 century ago, its fairly amazing that they'll shoot at all. Shotgun or airgun, i think Kessler made a pretty good product and their stuff is now a fine example of Americana at its best. J
Last edited by XXJonnyRebXX on July 31st, 2014, 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 31st, 2014, 3:00 am #8

AGD1 says the Kessler with the one piece stock claimed "750 fps with easy pumping effort".

The Blue Book said it used a Sheridan A style ball valve.

Pretty powerful gun for the times when everybody was lucky to get 650 with 8-12 pumps and when springers were under 12 ft lbs.

I'm also be rather interested in finding the lever action shotgun. Valued at $150 and much less than a Winchester or Norinco lever scattergun. It'd also look OK with a Polychoke, if I didn't like the existing choke.
But what the heck.

Have had a 16ga kessler boltgun for quite a few years, and when i saw the triggerguard on a Kessler airgun, i too knew it had to be from the same company, which i think is cool. Found this thread, Posted

The shorguns seemed to hold up better than the airguns, simple as can be but mine and others i've seen occasionally all look rather good considering their age. Mine works flawlessly , was my uncle Johns goosa gun for many many years. Full choke.

The airguns from the silvercreek manufacturer all seem pretty rough, treated worse no doubt..but the finish seems to have peeled off too, like they were probably painted rather than blued. Receivers anyways. Seems most all of them still work however and while they might not shoot 750fps as advertised 12 century ago, its fairly amazing that they'll shoot at all. Shotgun or airgun, i think Kessler made a pretty good product and their stuff is now a fine example of Americana at its best. J
Last edited by XXJonnyRebXX on July 31st, 2014, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.