Just Watched a 32-Minute Video of the 9-week Marine Recruit Training at Perris Island!

Just Watched a 32-Minute Video of the 9-week Marine Recruit Training at Perris Island!

May 31st, 2012, 11:20 pm #1

And I must admit that it's rougher than the 8-week Army Recruit Training at Fort Ord that I went through 52 years ago!

So how was YOUR Basic Training or Boot Camp?

Hal

June 1st, 2012, 12:21 am #2

Coming from someone who's been there and done that, I can assure you it's a 12 week training course. There are 70 training days from Receiving to Graduation. It's been that way for several decades.

I stress fractured my hip there and got to spend an additional month or so at Medical Rehab Platoon, aka Jerry's Kids.

What videos and tv programs fail to convey is the sheer volume of mosquitoes and sand fleas that inhabit that god forsaken Parris island. Imagine standing at attention and having a sand flea climb deep into your ear canal and begin chomping on tissue, all the while, your Drill Instructor is begging for someone to so much as blink, as mosquitoes are buzzing and dining on your exposed skin. This distinction alone makes training at Parris Island more difficult than San Diego. Not to mention the heat, humidity and rotten smell at low tide.

1985-1989 I remember it all like it was yesterday.

Regards,

Haywire

June 1st, 2012, 12:33 am #3

Semper Fi...
Hal

June 1st, 2012, 1:09 am #4

And I must admit that it's rougher than the 8-week Army Recruit Training at Fort Ord that I went through 52 years ago!

Hal
Hot,salt tablets,heat stroke and a few guys passing out here and there.Couldn`t wait to get to that
warm canvas tasting water.They had those old WW2 baracks just like in "Biloxi Blues" hated the low crawl
and wished I`d done a little running,overall not too bad.

mark in mass

June 1st, 2012, 1:16 am #5

Hal
It's Marine Corps Hal.
You are trained to Kill People!

June 1st, 2012, 11:51 am #6

Hal
was not representative of the real thing.

If you have not experienced it, then there is no way for you to comprehend.

Your wasting your time thinking about it.

One important point that is rarely mentioned, that effects the level of severity is the personality of the Senior DI.

Again, Any discussion of this except between, those who have experienced it, is fool-hardy.

Discuss some thing you can relate to.

Later
Dwight

June 1st, 2012, 1:26 pm #7

Exactly!!!
My Parris Island experience was over 40 years ago.
Much has changed from what I understand, Nothing remotely to what it was.
Sad really.

June 1st, 2012, 1:48 pm #8

Coming from someone who's been there and done that, I can assure you it's a 12 week training course. There are 70 training days from Receiving to Graduation. It's been that way for several decades.

I stress fractured my hip there and got to spend an additional month or so at Medical Rehab Platoon, aka Jerry's Kids.

What videos and tv programs fail to convey is the sheer volume of mosquitoes and sand fleas that inhabit that god forsaken Parris island. Imagine standing at attention and having a sand flea climb deep into your ear canal and begin chomping on tissue, all the while, your Drill Instructor is begging for someone to so much as blink, as mosquitoes are buzzing and dining on your exposed skin. This distinction alone makes training at Parris Island more difficult than San Diego. Not to mention the heat, humidity and rotten smell at low tide.

1985-1989 I remember it all like it was yesterday.

Regards,

Haywire
The breaking point for me was when they were in my nose.
It was worth the risk for me because I laughed at most everything, Some of the Recruits were like an around the clock side-show. It didn't really matter to me because I was eternally doing push-ups, Sit-Ups, Bends&Thrusts, Burring those Mosquito's/Sand Flea's and digging them up again because the DI wanted to know what sex it was.
They wouldn't let on but, If you excelled at everything you could be a Maverick and get away with it.

June 1st, 2012, 2:24 pm #9

One important point that is rarely mentioned, that effects the level of severity is the personality of the Senior DI.

Again, Any discussion of this except between, those who have experienced it, is fool-hardy.

Later
Dwight
One of the funniest things I remember was the Survival training in the pool. Full gear and having to float for ~ 1 hour as I remember.
The DI's had these long poles that they used to push you back out in the pool if you tried to grab on to the side.
They would wait until someone went under a few times before the let them grab onto the pole and pull you in.
I spent my summers on the coast and about lived in the ocean.
Was it like that for you?

June 1st, 2012, 2:39 pm #10

Later
Dwight
Well, that's a pretty rude reply!

I can relate to many things I've experienced in my 75 years, Mister!

Hal