Just Thinking Out Loud--May Start Doing Some Springer Tuning Again

Just Thinking Out Loud--May Start Doing Some Springer Tuning Again

August 12th, 2017, 3:55 am #1

Some of you may remember me around here. I tuned a lot of spring piston air rifles over the period of many, many years. I've been out of that game for something like 3-4 years now, but I haven't forgotten what I learned.

I stopped doing the work for awhile there due to health issues that have been totally resolved for more than a year. I feel much better than I did before, thankfully! In fact, I can honestly say that for the past year I've felt better than I did during the previous 25 years. That's what I call a major turnaround in the best way.

I want to make clear that the work was never much of an income booster or what you could call a real money-making business, although I took the work itself very-seriously. It was only a hobby-business that gave me something to do to keep my hands busy and find some pride in who I am. Several people liked the work I did for them. You can probably find some posts on this forum to that effect.

During the time I was previously tuning, it wasn't how I supported myself. I was using it as some scant-little supplemental income to add to my 'real' income that came from taking early retirement. I couldn't have possibly lived off of what I was taking in, and I don't need or plan to do so now. I couldn't do so now and keep the quality high.

Admittedly, there was a period of time when I was tuning that my lead time became very-long due to simply taking too many jobs on at a time, trying to 'serve too many masters' or be a sort of champion of sorts to the airgun-quality-afflicted. I cleaned up that problem before I stopped tuning, though, and was getting the air rifles out of here in a reasonable amount of time before I quit. If I do start tuning again, just so you'll know, I'm still going to keep the workload small and the return times reasonable, as I did at the end of my previous tenure.

The thing is, the mechanical problems I see described now, and the potential for improvement in what the factories still deliver remain about the same as it was before. I know I could improve many makes and models of air guns out there for those who want that sort of thing done. However, as I learned before the hard way, an air gun tune definitely isn't the cure for a product that comes terribly-defective from the factory or has been badly chopped-up due to some well-meaning but untrained DIY work. Said another way, yes I can cure some mechanical ills but I can't actually raise the dead. What a good does is take a decent product with good potential and makes it better, period. That's the extent of my ability. "A man has to know his limitations" (Clint Eastwood, from Magnum Force I think).

If I start doing the work again, let's not raise any alarms because I won't be putting any other tuner anything close to out of business. That's because, as I stated, I just won't be taking on that large an amount of work. The other guys basically won't even know I'm here, exactly as I think was the case before. I would be a small-guy shop doing select work for a small number of people. The only (imagined) threat I might pose is if I get a compliment on my work, and someone perhaps sees that as stealing their thunder. That happened a little in the past, but it's a part of human behavior I can't be responsible for or change. It is what it is. I want to state very-clearly that no one need to worry about me, because those other tuners are already solidly-competent and helping the air gun community in a big way and I know that.

So, anyway, this is more than just a daydream now, or I wouldn't be posting it here. I'm giving it some serious thought. When might it happen? I don't know yet. What would my prices be like? Reasonable and competitive, like before. What air rifles will I work on? Quality metal-spring-piston guns, usually those with well respected brand names. Going down the road of working on 3rd world' products is something I already tried, and I don't want to go there again. May hat is off to those who do that work and they're welcome to all of it. Also, I don't do gas ram work and I don't work on PCP air arms.

I guess that's it. Stay tuned for further announcements if you're interested. Thank you for your time. And, as always...

August 12th, 2017, 6:01 am #2

Ed, I've been shooting Field Target for a few years now, and, I do remember some of your posts from the past. That being said, I'm always looking for a good Springer tuner, I have used a few of the best, always looking for more. I'm a Field Target PCP guy, at 12 ft. Lbs., myself, but I am intrigued with springers.
I'll definitely consider your services in the future, I'll ponder it down the road. Welcome back.

Tom Holland
Assistant Match Director Eastern Suffolk Competitve Airgunners Association
(ESCAA)
Long Island NY

August 12th, 2017, 4:33 pm #3

Some of you may remember me around here. I tuned a lot of spring piston air rifles over the period of many, many years. I've been out of that game for something like 3-4 years now, but I haven't forgotten what I learned.

I stopped doing the work for awhile there due to health issues that have been totally resolved for more than a year. I feel much better than I did before, thankfully! In fact, I can honestly say that for the past year I've felt better than I did during the previous 25 years. That's what I call a major turnaround in the best way.

I want to make clear that the work was never much of an income booster or what you could call a real money-making business, although I took the work itself very-seriously. It was only a hobby-business that gave me something to do to keep my hands busy and find some pride in who I am. Several people liked the work I did for them. You can probably find some posts on this forum to that effect.

During the time I was previously tuning, it wasn't how I supported myself. I was using it as some scant-little supplemental income to add to my 'real' income that came from taking early retirement. I couldn't have possibly lived off of what I was taking in, and I don't need or plan to do so now. I couldn't do so now and keep the quality high.

Admittedly, there was a period of time when I was tuning that my lead time became very-long due to simply taking too many jobs on at a time, trying to 'serve too many masters' or be a sort of champion of sorts to the airgun-quality-afflicted. I cleaned up that problem before I stopped tuning, though, and was getting the air rifles out of here in a reasonable amount of time before I quit. If I do start tuning again, just so you'll know, I'm still going to keep the workload small and the return times reasonable, as I did at the end of my previous tenure.

The thing is, the mechanical problems I see described now, and the potential for improvement in what the factories still deliver remain about the same as it was before. I know I could improve many makes and models of air guns out there for those who want that sort of thing done. However, as I learned before the hard way, an air gun tune definitely isn't the cure for a product that comes terribly-defective from the factory or has been badly chopped-up due to some well-meaning but untrained DIY work. Said another way, yes I can cure some mechanical ills but I can't actually raise the dead. What a good does is take a decent product with good potential and makes it better, period. That's the extent of my ability. "A man has to know his limitations" (Clint Eastwood, from Magnum Force I think).

If I start doing the work again, let's not raise any alarms because I won't be putting any other tuner anything close to out of business. That's because, as I stated, I just won't be taking on that large an amount of work. The other guys basically won't even know I'm here, exactly as I think was the case before. I would be a small-guy shop doing select work for a small number of people. The only (imagined) threat I might pose is if I get a compliment on my work, and someone perhaps sees that as stealing their thunder. That happened a little in the past, but it's a part of human behavior I can't be responsible for or change. It is what it is. I want to state very-clearly that no one need to worry about me, because those other tuners are already solidly-competent and helping the air gun community in a big way and I know that.

So, anyway, this is more than just a daydream now, or I wouldn't be posting it here. I'm giving it some serious thought. When might it happen? I don't know yet. What would my prices be like? Reasonable and competitive, like before. What air rifles will I work on? Quality metal-spring-piston guns, usually those with well respected brand names. Going down the road of working on 3rd world' products is something I already tried, and I don't want to go there again. May hat is off to those who do that work and they're welcome to all of it. Also, I don't do gas ram work and I don't work on PCP air arms.

I guess that's it. Stay tuned for further announcements if you're interested. Thank you for your time. And, as always...
Ed, how do you feel about second-world spring guns, specifically Hungarian Relums? I have a couple of "only ever seen one of them" guns that you might find interesting and challenging. Time would not be an issue for me.

August 12th, 2017, 4:48 pm #4

I been turning down work as it comes in off of my you tube channel, often a guy will want a re barrel on there cheap gun or hatsan magnum so I refer them to a good friend of mine.
mean while I still work 5 days a week at my plumbing trade and that only leaves week ends to get back to what ever project I been into for me.

I planned on retiring and going into air gun work which did include the P I A hatsan rifles and of course the nice guns we all come to love in the springer line, then one day the light bulb went on.

I decided when I retire, I will retire from working for people and work for my self as a plumber taking on the easy work I want to handle.

Sure I have a passion for airguns and helping air gunners with there needs and giving some honest advice.
But the truth is, it is a lot of time for a little income on "all levels", So it may as well be on something that is able to make it worth it. That is the plan, I just hope I can make it cause thees 60 yr old bones have seen better days LOL

August 12th, 2017, 4:59 pm #5

It's good to have some more Springer Guys back on board. I remember a time when Springers were the Main Topic on this forum.
Yeah, hard to believe that some of us Ole' Timers are still around (LOL!).
Ed got me started moving up from 'Gateway' BB guns (pump-up and Co2) to Gamo S1K and then the German 'Hard Stuff'.
He is a valuable asset to the Air Gun Community, and I for one, am glad to see him back in the Saddle.
doug,P.

August 12th, 2017, 5:41 pm #6

...It's an annoying habit, that I can't quite seem to shake

Happy to see that you've 'rejoined' the Forum, and thrilled to hear that, for all of the right reasons, you will be performing some more of your magic.

Matt

August 12th, 2017, 8:55 pm #7

Ed, how do you feel about second-world spring guns, specifically Hungarian Relums? I have a couple of "only ever seen one of them" guns that you might find interesting and challenging. Time would not be an issue for me.
And I seem to remember some pleasant conversation. I see you still hang around. That's a good thing.

Getting to the point of your post, I didn't even know what a Hungarian Relum was until I looked at You Tube video within the last 24 hours or so. Although I'd love to help you out, it's one of the unknown makes I was alluding to in my post. So, those aren't on my list of immediately planned endeavors. Maybe somewhere down the line, but not now.

I plan to stick mostly to the Beeman/HW and RWS/Diana lines. I can quote most of their internal dimensions from memory, and I know what makes most of them tick (or not tick) including some of the fire points like triggers. That's where I plan to start. Your offer of allowing plenty of time is gracious, but time alone doesn't solve some of the trickier problems that arise when trying to tackle something not made in Germany or the UK. It's double true when you do a new model for the very first time.

And, speaking of the UK, I did tune some of the British Webley models, so I might take those on again, too. Good after-market parts are readily available for them and I know where to buy them. The TX can be a little tricky IME so I'm not sure about that one in the immediate future.

Hopefully we can drag up some common ground and I can help you out--and you can help me out--with one of the other air rifles I mentioned. And, by all means thanks for your reply.

August 12th, 2017, 8:59 pm #8

...It's an annoying habit, that I can't quite seem to shake

Happy to see that you've 'rejoined' the Forum, and thrilled to hear that, for all of the right reasons, you will be performing some more of your magic.

Matt
I said yes too many times before when I should have said no, or at least, "Can you wait for a few more months?". I very much appreciated the complimentary posts I received in years gone by, and I won't discourage them if I get more in the future. Word of mouth (or print) is some of the best advertising there is. I said I wanted to control the flow of work, not discourage it. Thanks!

August 12th, 2017, 9:02 pm #9

I been turning down work as it comes in off of my you tube channel, often a guy will want a re barrel on there cheap gun or hatsan magnum so I refer them to a good friend of mine.
mean while I still work 5 days a week at my plumbing trade and that only leaves week ends to get back to what ever project I been into for me.

I planned on retiring and going into air gun work which did include the P I A hatsan rifles and of course the nice guns we all come to love in the springer line, then one day the light bulb went on.

I decided when I retire, I will retire from working for people and work for my self as a plumber taking on the easy work I want to handle.

Sure I have a passion for airguns and helping air gunners with there needs and giving some honest advice.
But the truth is, it is a lot of time for a little income on "all levels", So it may as well be on something that is able to make it worth it. That is the plan, I just hope I can make it cause thees 60 yr old bones have seen better days LOL
I wish you well in figuring out what works best for you.

August 12th, 2017, 9:08 pm #10

It's good to have some more Springer Guys back on board. I remember a time when Springers were the Main Topic on this forum.
Yeah, hard to believe that some of us Ole' Timers are still around (LOL!).
Ed got me started moving up from 'Gateway' BB guns (pump-up and Co2) to Gamo S1K and then the German 'Hard Stuff'.
He is a valuable asset to the Air Gun Community, and I for one, am glad to see him back in the Saddle.
doug,P.
I mean friend. I've noticed that your extolled virtues on this forum are many. Keep up the good work.