Just started shooting my AG2079A

January 9th, 2016, 2:47 am #1

What a great rifle !

I think she is very capable of ~1/2' at 30 yds and if I do my part maybe better with a better pellet than my general use pellet, the CPHP from Wally World at $6.28 per 500ea !

I love the stock and it fits me well for an international type stock (I like the shorter L0P on this gun), wish my Chrono would have worked today, will try to chrono tomorrow ;- )

I'm hoping she shoots CPHP's in the mid/high 700's or a bit more ... we we wll see.

In the beginning 700fps+ was fine, but the more I think about it if I decide to use it for FT, a bit more speed would be a welcome thing ---- if I still get a good number of consistent shots. This gun will be set up for accuracy, would love to get less than 1/2' at 30 yds ! My use right now is just a fun bench type gun, capably of blasting insects that land on the desert sage when I'm out playing around. The taking of pest birds is an option but in reality a 40 yard shot with this gun would be a very long one and at game no bigger than a starling for sure !

After all it is .177 cal and I don't plan on using heavy .177 caliber ammo in this gun, a flat trajectory is a bit more important than knock down power, although accuracy is of extreme importance.

wll2506

January 9th, 2016, 3:35 am #2

Few things to check.

-Barrel crown (recorwn can do wonders on some barrels) The q-tip test can be used to see if there is a bur there.
-Check the ES since your running a bottle should be decent... if not look into the hammer or valve.
-Burs on pellet loading can cause issues cleaning this up can help alot.
-Try different pellets. JSB's might be worth a try.
-Make sure the stock is tight and fits well.
-Lead lapping the barrel if needed can help alot but not always needed.

-I'm sure you can get more FPS outa it. Barrel port
-Valve work (XP valve might have some work already done). A delrin popit be one the first things I do if you have gone HPA.
-Valve port and smoothing can also help flow. A very little can go a long way.

Once you get used to things 40 yards on starlings should be easy. Just need to get used to hold over and sight picture you need to accomplish this.

If you want alot more power, Heavier pellets and more tuning could get some power for .177 but shot count will suffer.

Was psi tank you running? if running 850psi tank going to 1200 psi should be fine and will get more power/performance.

Bruce

January 9th, 2016, 10:35 am #3

I may do some mods as I get a feel for her performance. She has a 1200 psi tank. I have heard the delrin popit will add another 20-40fps to your gun ?

wll2506

January 9th, 2016, 6:52 pm #4

Rather than tear the gun down multiple times, I tend to do several at once, going for max output, then tune the gun down to my desired power by lightening the striker.

As an example, port work that doesn't include aligning the probe port and opening up its bore will be strangled at that point.

Too large a barrel port can hurt accuracy,and/or slow loading, so an oval port is worthwhile, but don't go crazy..the probe needs to match. An oval that is one and a half times width is about right, and not much wider than original (this is for .177, you have more leeway in .22)

A harder poppet will help, but how much depends on what else has been done, both upstream and downstream. The poppet shape,seat profile, wall clearance all have an effect.

One of the best things you can do for consistency is to carefully smooth all the slots and their edges, and lightly hone the tube(a co2 cartridge on a threaded rod, with the end cut off and slotted to hold a strip of wet 400 sandpaper will do that well)

Smooth the sliding parts, removing as little metal as possible, lube with a light oil.

January 9th, 2016, 7:28 pm #5

What a great rifle !

I think she is very capable of ~1/2' at 30 yds and if I do my part maybe better with a better pellet than my general use pellet, the CPHP from Wally World at $6.28 per 500ea !

I love the stock and it fits me well for an international type stock (I like the shorter L0P on this gun), wish my Chrono would have worked today, will try to chrono tomorrow ;- )

I'm hoping she shoots CPHP's in the mid/high 700's or a bit more ... we we wll see.

In the beginning 700fps+ was fine, but the more I think about it if I decide to use it for FT, a bit more speed would be a welcome thing ---- if I still get a good number of consistent shots. This gun will be set up for accuracy, would love to get less than 1/2' at 30 yds ! My use right now is just a fun bench type gun, capably of blasting insects that land on the desert sage when I'm out playing around. The taking of pest birds is an option but in reality a 40 yard shot with this gun would be a very long one and at game no bigger than a starling for sure !

After all it is .177 cal and I don't plan on using heavy .177 caliber ammo in this gun, a flat trajectory is a bit more important than knock down power, although accuracy is of extreme importance.

wll2506
Well went out and shot the AR2079A again today and got to chronoed it .... well it is a factory .177 gun and I was getting an very consistent 645fps shooting Discovery HP's, the same as CPHP pellets, different packaging.

Accuracy was putting them in the 1/2" mark when I was doing my job outdoors at swingers at 30 yards. I think when I change the seal, my speed will pick up a bit, but if I get 80-100 consistent shots, that will be great !

Looking at all the specks, I think she is shooting about like she should. I know I can go in and open up ports, change the bolt and all that, but I have to decide is it worth it. Changing the bolt and the seal may be all that is needed to boost her up to 700 ish fps ? I don't know ?

wll2506

January 10th, 2016, 7:59 pm #6

What a great rifle !

wll2506
The trigger on this gun was horrid and I have had all I can stand, to I took off the stock and the sear screw was all the way out ... so I put 3 full turns in it and now it is fine. Also gave a turn and a half to the trigger stop screw. Did not have any nail polish, so I left them alone. Next time they are apart I will put a dab to stop them from moving, if they do.

The trigger although fairly light had a tremendous amount of serious creep and grind, very bad -- way, way to much sear engagement.

wll2506

January 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm #7

considering the price.

January 10th, 2016, 9:44 pm #8

The trigger now is just fine, I just got through shooting it. I could go in and polish it, but for me it is more than fine.

I also taped my Umarex Moderator and it works great, now the gun is very backyard friendly and when shooting outdoors it does not scare the animals away. They just sit there, no threatening pow from an air blast ;- ) very, very nice ! I keep checking it to be sure the air does not blow the moderator off, but so far so good !

The trigger on these guns can be made pretty darn good, my QB79 trigger is very nice as is my QB78. I think the trigger is pretty much a hit or miss but tuning it is really no big deal. The hardest part is getting that crap safety back in, although most probably don't as it is a poor design. A file to the edges rounding them off a bit would make the safety much smother, if anybody really cared !

wll2506

January 10th, 2016, 11:56 pm #9

I shot and shot and shot, and still have more hot air in the gun than a Hillary Clinton speech (and that is really saying something).

Yes my AR 2079A is 177 cal, and I'm only getting ~ 650 fps for now, but for target shooting and starlings at ~ 35 yards it is great. I think a breech seal mod will zip speed up another 40 or so fps.

This gun with my Umarex mod and a little tape are very back yard quite, the sound of the hammer spring is louder than the gun firing .... Great !

My QB 79 now gets a Umarex mod and a Disco breach seal !

I truly can't remember when I enjoyed shooting air rifles so much as playing around with PCP guns, and the QB platform is awesome, for what it is !

wll2506

January 11th, 2016, 1:42 pm #10

Glad u like the gun..I think the 2079 is a cool looking gun...and may get one....I really like my qb78D and AR2078....heck I even like the QB57...happy shooting