Just bought my first chinese PCP

Just bought my first chinese PCP

June 7th, 2012, 2:51 pm #1

It is a Bam 51 that was on the Yellow yesterday.

I bought it because I have been curious about the Bam 50 and 51's for some time. I Googled everything I could find about them yesterday and I am starving for more information.

It has what is thought to be a LW 25 barrel, shroud and is alledged to get 60 FPE with 32 grain EJ's with a very short string of 8 shots or so.

It was tuned by Big Ed after getting the barrel and shroud, and supposedly he said the work was well done. The trigger looks to need heating and bending to a correct angle which I can do, the seller said it got bent in shipping and Big Ed straightened it somewhat.

I have modded extensively with the AF rifles and have a few high end PCP's so I am not new to PCP's but I am definately new to this rifle.

I read that it is a Daystate clone and is no longer imported, is there any where to obtain parts other than Daystate?

I have three very powerful long range PCP's now and would like to detune it from the 60 FPE, can I either put a lighter spring in it or a lower fill and get it to a reasonable velocity with Kings?

Any and all information would be useful.

Thanks

June 7th, 2012, 5:46 pm #2

I would change spring and transfer port to calm her down. I've shot the heck out of my B50 .22 cal, and to this day even owning higher priced rifles... I still grab her.

I believe mine is shooting 23-26 Fpe.

3 shot grp @ 100 yrds.

[/IMG]

June 7th, 2012, 9:22 pm #3

I bought it because I have been curious about the Bam 50 and 51's for some time. I Googled everything I could find about them yesterday and I am starving for more information.

It has what is thought to be a LW 25 barrel, shroud and is alledged to get 60 FPE with 32 grain EJ's with a very short string of 8 shots or so.

It was tuned by Big Ed after getting the barrel and shroud, and supposedly he said the work was well done. The trigger looks to need heating and bending to a correct angle which I can do, the seller said it got bent in shipping and Big Ed straightened it somewhat.

I have modded extensively with the AF rifles and have a few high end PCP's so I am not new to PCP's but I am definately new to this rifle.

I read that it is a Daystate clone and is no longer imported, is there any where to obtain parts other than Daystate?

I have three very powerful long range PCP's now and would like to detune it from the 60 FPE, can I either put a lighter spring in it or a lower fill and get it to a reasonable velocity with Kings?

Thanks
first one cost $500 as they were unobtanium up here as detuned rifles the B51-D. Now I am getting my fourth as a B50.
You will not get parts for the old Daystate, may get parts for the B50/51 from BigEd. Anybody with a lathe can make the valve stem and seal so no real parts to buy other than orings.
Real curious how that one makes so much power...... May need to get a .25 barrel for one
BTW what size bullets are you using from your mold?
I swage some and would like to mail you a sample to shoot if you are interested. They are 0.245" bore riding and 0.257" driving band at 50 grains.
Let me know if you would like to shoot some for me?

Walter....

June 7th, 2012, 10:57 pm #4

I will not get my hands on it for about 10 days due to me going to the mountains for a while.

I cast the 25 LBT bullets, they are .255 groove diameter and .250 bore riders, which means on most LW barrels I need to cut a lead, On my dechoked and lead cut in AirForce guns they work.

Will your bullets chamber in a barrel without a lead?

I hae been told it gets around 8 shots at the 60 FPE level.

Time will tell.

June 8th, 2012, 10:38 pm #5

Thanks
To make me a scope mount and I will turn this into a bullpup.

June 10th, 2012, 12:46 am #6

Thanks
There is a "book" online. It's a compilation of what people have done to their Bams. go herehttp://www.lebedev.com/airgun/technical ... b50_51.pdf

I recently bought a new hammer from Mike' about two weeks ago.

good luck!
darryl
Last edited by turbodt on June 10th, 2012, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2012, 3:08 pm #7

Thanks
..and a bigger bore could take advantage of that.

Most of my work has been in calming mine down a bit, but judging by that, does seem like 60 foot pounds in .25 would be possible...at least for a short string.

Like the guns..was very impressed with the quaility of metal finish and the solid (heavy) nature of the gun. Its no light weight (metal and wood...no plastic parts other than seals) and that air tube seems exceptionally thick walled (adding a good bit of weight).

A light hunter it will never be. You can turn one into a shorter bull pup...but its still going to be heavy.

The stock is kind of chunky. Bought mine used here on the yellow, and the previous owner was a pretty darned good wood worker, Stock is chunky, but there is enough there to stand a bit of remoddling. Not my doing, but the stock turned out quite well.

[/IMG]

Last edited by gubb33ps on June 10th, 2012, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2012, 2:44 am #8

Yes short and fat guns are still just as heavy.

It is going to be a slam on the brakes and stick out the truck window nutria gun. I already have some nice long shooters and want to try a Bullpup to see what that is all about.

I got the stock for 40 bucks and shipping and I have a wood rasp. belt sanders and a drawer full of sand paper and am retired, so it is not going to break the bank to prove to myself that I would rather use long guns than bullpups.

Of course the danger here is that I may end up liking bullpups.

June 11th, 2012, 4:07 am #9

...has been one of the problems for most DIY projects. Getting an elegant solid solution to that seems key. (using "elegant" here in the sense of "so simple I should have seen it right away").

June 12th, 2012, 6:40 am #10

Thanks
I have only worked on a couple of .25 caliber Bams, but they will achieve 60 FPE. At that power, they are real air hogs. If you take the power down to 50FPE or below, you should be able to double the shot count. There are a few ways to drop power on the B-50/51. Smaller transfer port, extend the hammer screw, lighter spring, lighter hammer, shortening the spring, and less air pressure. The hammer screw is the cheapest alternative, followed by a smaller transfer port. When you get a chance, check inside the hammer, under the spring guide. On occasion, I have added a washer or two to create extra power. It added weight to the hammer and a bit of pre-load to the hammer spring. If the washers are there, removing them will reduce power somewhat. To lighten the hammer, I take out the steel spring guide and add a Delrin guide. Another tuner drilled the guide out with a 5/8 drill to reduce weight. Either option will work. I would prefer not to do anything that was ir-reverseable if possible. To me, the lighter hammer spring, for that caliber, is not the best option. If you fill to 3000 psi, there is a chance of valve lock because the lighter spring can't overcome the pressure holding the valve closed. Cutting a coil or two off the spring is a better alternative. Less air pressure will result in less shots, along with less power.

For straightening the trigger, the heat will allow for easier bending, but when it cools it will be brittle and harder. Non-ferrous metals need the opposite treatment from steels. Steel will harden when cooled in water, and get soft if air cooled. Brass is the opposite. It will harden if air cooled.

Yes, I'm back.

BigEd

Http://www.bigedmachining.com
Last edited by Biged618 on June 12th, 2012, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.