JSB 14.3gr .22 pellets just under 1/2 bad?!?

JSB 14.3gr .22 pellets just under 1/2 bad?!?

April 12th, 2012, 1:40 am #1

I opened up a new tin and started noticing bad skirts right off the bat. 20 or 30 shots later, I moved on to something else. I didn't shoot the bad ones through the rifle.
I expected more from a name like JSB with such a high reputation. Tonight, I sorted out the good from the bad. Nothing scientific here, just looked at each skirt and sorted them out. (By weight) I have 277 good pellets to 202 bad. Looks like I shot or threw out around 20 before I got frustrated. Now, I know there's such a thing as a pellet sizer but sizing around 215 out of 500 pellets sounds more to me like quality control issues at the factory.
Laugh?
While sorting out 480 pellets I took a look at the label. It says "CAREFULLY selected." HA!
Well, they've been carefully selected now anyway!

Have any of you run into this with these type and weight of pellet to this extent? (JSB Diablo Exact Jumbo Express 0,930g CAL.22 5.5mm 500 quantity)

When I sorted through them ANY imperfection at all would be tossed into the imperfect pile. These ranged from the very bad with crushed and wobbly skirts to not bad at all with an almost unnoticeable dent. If I only took out the really bad ones my numbers would be (i'm guessing) 100 out of the tin, maybe less. That would be 15 to 20% needing resizing per tin.
Any thoughts?
I won't be purchasing those particular pellets again.
Tom

April 12th, 2012, 1:48 am #2

I'm just approximating here but from the tins I've shot maybe 1 out of 15 has a bent skirt (33/500) and of those 33 maybe 5 at most are so bad that I throw away.

Is this you first experience with JSBs, or have you had a number of tins which have been "what you expect" until now?

That's too bad that you won't buy anymore, because more often than not one of the JSBs will be the best performer for a given rifle.

April 12th, 2012, 1:55 am #3

I opened up a new tin and started noticing bad skirts right off the bat. 20 or 30 shots later, I moved on to something else. I didn't shoot the bad ones through the rifle.
I expected more from a name like JSB with such a high reputation. Tonight, I sorted out the good from the bad. Nothing scientific here, just looked at each skirt and sorted them out. (By weight) I have 277 good pellets to 202 bad. Looks like I shot or threw out around 20 before I got frustrated. Now, I know there's such a thing as a pellet sizer but sizing around 215 out of 500 pellets sounds more to me like quality control issues at the factory.
Laugh?
While sorting out 480 pellets I took a look at the label. It says "CAREFULLY selected." HA!

Have any of you run into this with these type and weight of pellet to this extent? (JSB Diablo Exact Jumbo Express 0,930g CAL.22 5.5mm 500 quantity)

When I sorted through them ANY imperfection at all would be tossed into the imperfect pile. These ranged from the very bad with crushed and wobbly skirts to not bad at all with an almost unnoticeable dent. If I only took out the really bad ones my numbers would be (i'm guessing) 100 out of the tin, maybe less. That would be 15 to 20% needing resizing per tin.
Any thoughts?
Tom
Tom I think you just got one bad tin. I had a tin of 18.0gr JSB's
last week, that had a bunch of deformed pellets in it too. Probably threw out
30 or so from a full tin. Been shooting JSB's quite a while and have
occasionally found a few bad ones but nothing like what you're reporting.

My guess is this a very isolated case. Many are shooting JSB's so if,
in fact, this turns out to be widespread it'll show up here real quick.

"It's Simple. All it comes down to is:

Windage & Elevation Boys, Windage & Elevation!"

April 12th, 2012, 2:26 am #4

Laugh?

Any thoughts?
Tom
I've never had a tin of JSB's that were not full of deformed skirts. Why go to
the trouble to have high quality QC and then trust a metal can with all the pellets crammed in them? This calls for a better way to do things.

Bill

Bill Dempsey
bdempsey@swat.coop

April 12th, 2012, 2:30 am #5

I'm just approximating here but from the tins I've shot maybe 1 out of 15 has a bent skirt (33/500) and of those 33 maybe 5 at most are so bad that I throw away.

Is this you first experience with JSBs, or have you had a number of tins which have been "what you expect" until now?

That's too bad that you won't buy anymore, because more often than not one of the JSBs will be the best performer for a given rifle.
This is just the first time I got the .930g ones. I'm sure the lighter weight, and therefore less material, in each pellet is causing this.
I'll continue to buy JSB's just not this weight in this caliber.
I would expect the numbers you're talking about out of any given tin.

April 12th, 2012, 2:33 am #6

Tom I think you just got one bad tin. I had a tin of 18.0gr JSB's
last week, that had a bunch of deformed pellets in it too. Probably threw out
30 or so from a full tin. Been shooting JSB's quite a while and have
occasionally found a few bad ones but nothing like what you're reporting.

My guess is this a very isolated case. Many are shooting JSB's so if,
in fact, this turns out to be widespread it'll show up here real quick.

"It's Simple. All it comes down to is:

Windage & Elevation Boys, Windage & Elevation!"

April 12th, 2012, 2:37 am #7

Laugh?

Any thoughts?
Tom
That is why I use the round end of a Beeman pell seat to reshape and seat them nt.

April 12th, 2012, 2:43 am #8

I've never had a tin of JSB's that were not full of deformed skirts. Why go to
the trouble to have high quality QC and then trust a metal can with all the pellets crammed in them? This calls for a better way to do things.

Bill

Bill Dempsey
bdempsey@swat.coop
I have yet to come accross a bad tin of JSBs, but it is probably safe to say the bad ones left the factory in good shape and happened to have a rough ride enroute to the customer.

Of course the price would reflect any innovations they made in packing these little chuncks of lead, something those who have had a number of bad tins probably wouldn't mind.

April 12th, 2012, 3:31 am #9

Laugh?

Any thoughts?
Tom
about 4 years ago.

April 12th, 2012, 5:11 am #10

Laugh?

Any thoughts?
Tom
seem to make much of a difference in accuracy for me. I've shot dozens of tins of the 14.3g pellets and they have been pretty good, especially the newer ones (2011 & 2012). In 2009 and 2010 I noticed a few more bent skirts right out of a new tin. I've intentionally tested the bent skirts for groups out of my .22 850 HPA at 40/50 yards and can't tell a difference in their accuracy. Maybe a really bad one would show, but the normal bent skirts didn't show a difference for me.

Doug