James, New Stock for the Discovery

James, New Stock for the Discovery

April 9th, 2009, 12:35 am #1

I am a huge fan of the Discovery PCP's and have one in each caliber. The stocks have never knocked my hat in the creek though, so when James, here on the forum contacted me, and asked if I might be interested in field testing one of his newly designed stocks for the Discovery, I said yes.

I like traditional classic style stocks, but I also like a bit of that California look. I think the folks at Weatherby had something to do with getting that style launched into the market place years ago.

In some ways James, Discovery stock reminds me a bit of the Weatherby style but with an ambidextrous design, and a more classic look and finish. So far all I have done is to drop my barreled action into the new stock and check it out for looks, feel, and balance. What a huge difference from the factory handle. This makes my Discovery feel as good as my FX 2000 or RWS Rapier.

James custom cut the length of pull on this stock to fit me specifically. That along with a higher comb, and properly proportioned grip area and angle, makes my Discovery handle much like some of my high dollar guns.

The next thing that I want to do, is to get out and spend a few days in the field hunting with it. That is going to happen here in the very near future. I'll have my digicam mounted to the scope, and will be shooting video of the shots as they are taken with the Discovery with its new stock. It's going to be a lot of fun.

I took a few pictures of her to share. The Discovery looks, and feels like an entirely different rifle in this stock.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am #2

ABsolutely beautiful stock.

I'll be ordering one too.

Thanks for the report and the great pictures.

Sick 'em Höf!!!

April 9th, 2009, 1:03 am #3

I am a huge fan of the Discovery PCP's and have one in each caliber. The stocks have never knocked my hat in the creek though, so when James, here on the forum contacted me, and asked if I might be interested in field testing one of his newly designed stocks for the Discovery, I said yes.

I like traditional classic style stocks, but I also like a bit of that California look. I think the folks at Weatherby had something to do with getting that style launched into the market place years ago.

In some ways James, Discovery stock reminds me a bit of the Weatherby style but with an ambidextrous design, and a more classic look and finish. So far all I have done is to drop my barreled action into the new stock and check it out for looks, feel, and balance. What a huge difference from the factory handle. This makes my Discovery feel as good as my FX 2000 or RWS Rapier.

James custom cut the length of pull on this stock to fit me specifically. That along with a higher comb, and properly proportioned grip area and angle, makes my Discovery handle much like some of my high dollar guns.

The next thing that I want to do, is to get out and spend a few days in the field hunting with it. That is going to happen here in the very near future. I'll have my digicam mounted to the scope, and will be shooting video of the shots as they are taken with the Discovery with its new stock. It's going to be a lot of fun.

I took a few pictures of her to share. The Discovery looks, and feels like an entirely different rifle in this stock.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I can't think of a better place for the stock design on it's "maiden voyage" than on California ground Squirrel hunt with Cliff.I appreciate the kind words and the feedback from an experienced shooter.

Of course,I tested the pattern in the field on my own gun for a few months and really liked it, but I am a little biased,I think.

One thing I am confused about is why Cliff's pics of the stock look so much better than MINE did..

I think I need to start using the Flash feature on my camera..LOL

Last edited by jimairgun on April 9th, 2009, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2009, 1:14 am #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
as well. I can hardly wait.

April 9th, 2009, 1:57 am #5

ABsolutely beautiful stock.

I'll be ordering one too.

Thanks for the report and the great pictures.

Sick 'em Höf!!!
transformation. I can't wait to hunt with it.

April 9th, 2009, 2:01 am #6

I can't think of a better place for the stock design on it's "maiden voyage" than on California ground Squirrel hunt with Cliff.I appreciate the kind words and the feedback from an experienced shooter.

Of course,I tested the pattern in the field on my own gun for a few months and really liked it, but I am a little biased,I think.

One thing I am confused about is why Cliff's pics of the stock look so much better than MINE did..

I think I need to start using the Flash feature on my camera..LOL
rang and it was our Postal Person with a long box in her arms. I of course knew immediately what it was.

If there is anything that I am not, it's a photographer. My Olympus all automatic, all the time, gets the credit for any decent photos that get posted under my name. LOL.

Thanks James, for letting me try one of your stocks. It truly transforms the Discovery into a different rifle. You might not get it back. LOL.
Last edited by VarmintAir on April 9th, 2009, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2009, 2:18 am #7

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

April 9th, 2009, 3:42 am #8

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
There's only one problem Cliff. I am assuming that it is your 22 cal. in the pics, which means that the .177 is going to be a bit jealous. From the pics I would have to say that "a bit jealous" is a huge understatement! Very nice work James!

April 9th, 2009, 4:10 am #9

I sent you an e-mail earlier, but it bounced back.

Yeah, I can see one for each gun no doubt. LOL.

April 9th, 2009, 3:37 pm #10

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Have you weighed your Disco to see what the weight is with the new stock installed?.