Jacket versus Harness

July 10th, 2017, 9:19 pm #1

One reason, biggest reason really, I still shoot open is the harness.......

Even after 6 or 7 years of shooting FT, I stlll fell like Im timing over backwards a lot without the harness.

Wondeirng if a slightly higher seat cushion and a jacket will help that? The harness is pain, interferes with getting the USFT hardware down to my body, forces you out of a good position when extreme up or down shots .... and useless for standing/kneeling/prone.....

I know some positional adjustments help, but event then I still feel like Im rocking over backwards, unless tilted down hill to start with....

July 11th, 2017, 1:00 am #2

I love it. You sit and position yourself and there is where you stay. No sliding around like with styro.

Only bad thing is the weight increases.

Also I adjusted the harness until I got myself tight.

It will also help if you are shooting forward more than sideways, unless you support the rifle over your folded arm. Then you need to be sideways.

July 11th, 2017, 1:43 am #3

I am considering buying some and I can find 5lb and 10lb bags, but I am not sure how much is really needed. I have 2 bags that I need to fill should I make the change.

Shed some light on this for me Brother. I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Boomer

July 11th, 2017, 10:24 am #4

the ground. I don't like being a half inch from hitting the deck. The hulls put me about 4" up off the ground where my butt is. The rest shapes around you like clay, and unless you squiggle/shift into another position, your arsk will not move. Period.

The 7 lbs fades away after toting it for several matches. It not what you want to clip to your belt like styro, but it does not break down or shift.

I found them to be less $ on Amazon.com, but that was 2 years ago. (And they have not broken down yet or needed refilling). However Ebay or other sources may have dropped the price.

See you in a few weeks at the Crosman. If you want to wait, you can try mine. I think you will go that route once you sit in the "comfy chair".....lol

July 11th, 2017, 11:50 am #5

Thanks for helping out!

Boomer

July 11th, 2017, 12:19 pm #6

Hey that's what us baby "Boomer's " do...lol

July 11th, 2017, 3:26 pm #7

I love it. You sit and position yourself and there is where you stay. No sliding around like with styro.

Only bad thing is the weight increases.

Also I adjusted the harness until I got myself tight.

It will also help if you are shooting forward more than sideways, unless you support the rifle over your folded arm. Then you need to be sideways.
very dark brown,a lost black and slightly smaller than sunflower hulls......

Ive emptied about half out of the bag, makes it easier to scrunch down into the bag....

I shoot off my left knee (right handed shooter)... hmm shoot more forward.. Ok Ill work on that.....

July 11th, 2017, 5:49 pm #8

Slightly more forward. Not facing directly at the target with my feet. If looking down at my position from above, I have my left foot more at
A 2 o'clock position and my rt foot at 3 o'clock. This points my rifle more forward naturally.

I was shooting with my legs spread out. Now I have my knees closer together instead of wide apart. Makes me steadier.

July 11th, 2017, 5:55 pm #9

Straps or buckles now..... As the advertisement goes " Try it, You'll like it" !

July 11th, 2017, 11:56 pm #10

One reason, biggest reason really, I still shoot open is the harness.......

Even after 6 or 7 years of shooting FT, I stlll fell like Im timing over backwards a lot without the harness.

Wondeirng if a slightly higher seat cushion and a jacket will help that? The harness is pain, interferes with getting the USFT hardware down to my body, forces you out of a good position when extreme up or down shots .... and useless for standing/kneeling/prone.....

I know some positional adjustments help, but event then I still feel like Im rocking over backwards, unless tilted down hill to start with....

I started shooting in Open with a harness in 2015. At the end of the season, I bought a Creedmoor jacket with the intention of wearing the jacket and harness together. I tried it and I didn't like it. It was really cumbersome feeling to me. So I started just wearing the jacket and found I was as steady as I was with the harness. I am also a lot more comfortable wearing the jacket . To me,it's so much easier to adjust for different course conditions. I shot the Puerto Rico GP this year. They had some very steep down hill shots. I don't know how I would have shot them with a harness. I really like the ability to adjust my legs per the shooting conditions.
I agree whole heartedly about the buckwheat hulls. They make a super stable platform. I was using close to 10 lbs in my bum bag. But I have switched back to Styrofoam. I had to empty my bag so I could pack it for the flight to Puerto Rico. I refilled it in Puerto Rico with Styrofoam and have left it that way.