Is there a difference between the old and new JSD pellets?

Is there a difference between the old and new JSD pellets?

April 2nd, 2012, 1:42 am #1

Today was a close to windless day so I went out to shoot my tuned down .177 B50 and .22 Marauder at longer ranges. The B50 performed wonderfully and accurately out to 65 yards. However, I had issues with the Marauder. I recently chrongraphed and tuned it to shoot 18.1 JSB at 865 fps instead of 780 fps. The gun was shooting tight groups out to 50 yards at 780 fps with the grey tin pellets, During the tuning process I ran short of the JSB's in the grey tin and ordered several tins of the new red label JSB. After tuning I cleaned the barrel and put the gun away. Long story short, today it sprayed the red tin pellets even at 20 yards. So either the added 80+ fps caused the spraying or the new red tin pellets are different than the grey tin pellets any guess? Thanks.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:05 am #2

i see no difference in performance from red to blue tins. both shoot very well in my Pro Sport.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:09 am #3

Today was a close to windless day so I went out to shoot my tuned down .177 B50 and .22 Marauder at longer ranges. The B50 performed wonderfully and accurately out to 65 yards. However, I had issues with the Marauder. I recently chrongraphed and tuned it to shoot 18.1 JSB at 865 fps instead of 780 fps. The gun was shooting tight groups out to 50 yards at 780 fps with the grey tin pellets, During the tuning process I ran short of the JSB's in the grey tin and ordered several tins of the new red label JSB. After tuning I cleaned the barrel and put the gun away. Long story short, today it sprayed the red tin pellets even at 20 yards. So either the added 80+ fps caused the spraying or the new red tin pellets are different than the grey tin pellets any guess? Thanks.
And I doubt the lift in velocity to be the cause.
I don't have a Marauder so cannot guess at what effect your cleaning process may have had. After cleaning did you put it away dry or with oil/rust preventative in the barrel. Did you clean it before shooting this time? Can you pull it through and shoot again?

Does it have a moderator tube or LDC that may have been bumped, loosened, or had something change its relationship inside there? ...
The change from tight groups at 50 yards to spraying at 20 yards is too dramatic. If it was to be attributable to the pellets I can only think that the head size is much smaller than used previously and the barrel may be sensitive to the difference. Check the stamp on the bottom of the two tins .............. Kind regards, Harry.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:21 am #4

these can become dislodged during cleaning and would cause your groups to open up.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:24 am #5

they just aren't grouping well...hope the new .22 JSB's don't have this problem!

April 2nd, 2012, 2:33 am #6

And I have been shooting a lot of both the .177 exact and RS pellets recently.

I also wonder why JSB would make any change to their already successful pellet lineup? Any if so, why make it coincident with new labeling?

Maybe, but without a confirmation from JSB, I suspect the internet rumor mill is just running amok again.

R

April 2nd, 2012, 3:29 am #7

This was their response:

Dear David,

Thank you for your e-mail. I really appreciate your effort in getting the
information for your colleagues.

Actually the only thing that changed was the labels. The pellets inside the
tins are still the same. The weight of the pellets as well as the shape and
dimensions are identical with the pellets sold under the old Gray labels.

If you have any additional question please feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,

Pavel Kolebac
JSB Match Diabolo a.s.
tel/fax: +420/596033251
kolebac@schulzdiabolo.cz
www.schulzdiabolo.cz

April 2nd, 2012, 3:35 am #8

So close, yet so far away...

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/animalguy05?feature=mhee

April 2nd, 2012, 4:07 am #9

I also cleaned the barrel again after shooting today. It was really dirty, which surprised me after the cleaning I gave it about a week ago. When I get another windless day I will try the JSB 18.1 again. Hopefully things will be back to normal. Thanks guys.

April 2nd, 2012, 9:28 pm #10

And I doubt the lift in velocity to be the cause.
I don't have a Marauder so cannot guess at what effect your cleaning process may have had. After cleaning did you put it away dry or with oil/rust preventative in the barrel. Did you clean it before shooting this time? Can you pull it through and shoot again?

Does it have a moderator tube or LDC that may have been bumped, loosened, or had something change its relationship inside there? ...
The change from tight groups at 50 yards to spraying at 20 yards is too dramatic. If it was to be attributable to the pellets I can only think that the head size is much smaller than used previously and the barrel may be sensitive to the difference. Check the stamp on the bottom of the two tins .............. Kind regards, Harry.
JSB's statement is that the only thing they changed was the label on the tins.

I have many barrels that are dependent on JSB pellets, and as of late I have been experiencing issues that have me looking for answers. I am not ready to proclaim 100% for sure that I am having pellet issues, but I am certainly leaning that way.

I have a good number of barrels that in the past I would simply open a tin, and start shooting. I did some really extensive testing with these barrels, and actually wrote the results of those tests right on the OD of the barrel, so that I would not be confused by numbers in a notebook later on. I have those barrels out again, and am not getting anywhere near the same results I did with them the last time I tested. The only difference at this point is the tins of pellets I am using. To double and triple check the resulst I am getting, I even went as far as to mount the barrels on at least two other actions.

What I can say is that the results I am getting right now are VERY consistant. They're just not as good as I want or expect... or have gotten before.

I currently have an order in for pellets from a different vendor, and am hoping to receive either older stock, or different lot numbers from the pounds that I already have.

Regards,
DaveG
See more picts @http://davegcustomstocks.com