IF I want to shoot at 100y, where would you recommend zero?

IF I want to shoot at 100y, where would you recommend zero?

August 7th, 2012, 12:38 am #1

Given:

muzzle velocity - 850fps
pellet - JSB 18.1 grains
scope - Mueller Target Scope 8-32x44 Target Dot reticule

Targets:

ten Airgun Silhouette Chicken set at 100 yards, to be shot in a five minute time frame, Outdoor Benchrest, sand bag at the front, bag at the rear.

Your inputs are highly appreciated. Thank you.

August 7th, 2012, 12:59 am #2

...100yds.

Steve

August 7th, 2012, 1:27 am #3

are shooting for.

Thats the reason why i love mildots for airguns. You don't have to keep clicking the scope. Sight in at 50 and used the dots for everything out to 150 yrds depending on the scope.

But simply sight in for the distance you are shooting at.

August 7th, 2012, 1:27 am #4

Given:

muzzle velocity - 850fps
pellet - JSB 18.1 grains

Targets:

ten Airgun Silhouette Chicken set at 100 yards, to be shot in a five minute time frame, Outdoor Benchrest, sand bag at the front, bag at the rear.

....is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

August 7th, 2012, 1:39 am #5

Do you mean an African or a European swallow? ;^) NT

August 7th, 2012, 1:43 am #6

Given:

muzzle velocity - 850fps
pellet - JSB 18.1 grains

Targets:

Near zero will be approximately 5.5 yards. But I don't know what your sight axis height is above bore axis and some other data like elevation above sea level, temperature, wind direction etc.

Zero your scope at 5.5 yards FROM THE MUZZLE then check it at 100 yards. ...
Your next question will be "But how can I zero at 5.5 yards, it's all blurry and my scope only adjusts to 10 yards".
There are at least two answers to that question.

The best is to insert a card like this into the front of your OBJECTIVE lens bell:
Edit: Experiment with the hole size. In good light it can be made 1/10" or even smaller for this exercise.

Adjust your parallax to closest distance.
Set the scope power at lowest X.
Draw a half inch diameter CIRCLE with a thick pen for a target.
Place it 5.5 yards from THE MUZZLE.
Aim at the centre of the circle space.
Shoot and adjust sight until the shots go through one hole in the centre of the circle.
Re-adjust your scope's parallax to 100 yards and power to your favourite setting. Do nothing else then shoot at 100 yards.
Fine tune your sight settings until the centre of the best 8 shots of a 10 shot group is superimposed on the aiming mark ...............

I introduced the card method of virtually eliminating parallax for any scope here years ago. But I got the method a long time ago from then old shooters here in Australia who wanted to shoot better at near ranges with non adjustable CF scopes whose parallax setting was 100 to 150 yards.

Note again that the card must be in the front of the scope NOT at the rear. ... Let me know how you get on. Follow the steps. ....... Kind regards, Harry.
Last edited by Yrrah on August 7th, 2012, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2012, 2:19 am #7

...where one - especially in this hemisphere where the WC's spin counter-clockwise - can obtain an expired New South Wales drivers' license card in order to take advantage of the principle.

Any hints for us Yanks?

Steve

August 7th, 2012, 2:26 am #8

Near zero will be approximately 5.5 yards. But I don't know what your sight axis height is above bore axis and some other data like elevation above sea level, temperature, wind direction etc.

Zero your scope at 5.5 yards FROM THE MUZZLE then check it at 100 yards. ...
Your next question will be "But how can I zero at 5.5 yards, it's all blurry and my scope only adjusts to 10 yards".
There are at least two answers to that question.

The best is to insert a card like this into the front of your OBJECTIVE lens bell:
Edit: Experiment with the hole size. In good light it can be made 1/10" or even smaller for this exercise.

Adjust your parallax to closest distance.
Set the scope power at lowest X.
Draw a half inch diameter CIRCLE with a thick pen for a target.
Place it 5.5 yards from THE MUZZLE.
Aim at the centre of the circle space.
Shoot and adjust sight until the shots go through one hole in the centre of the circle.
Re-adjust your scope's parallax to 100 yards and power to your favourite setting. Do nothing else then shoot at 100 yards.
Fine tune your sight settings until the centre of the best 8 shots of a 10 shot group is superimposed on the aiming mark ...............

I introduced the card method of virtually eliminating parallax for any scope here years ago. But I got the method a long time ago from then old shooters here in Australia who wanted to shoot better at near ranges with non adjustable CF scopes whose parallax setting was 100 to 150 yards.

Note again that the card must be in the front of the scope NOT at the rear. ... Let me know how you get on. Follow the steps. ....... Kind regards, Harry.
--------------
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

August 7th, 2012, 2:27 am #9

...where one - especially in this hemisphere where the WC's spin counter-clockwise - can obtain an expired New South Wales drivers' license card in order to take advantage of the principle.

Any hints for us Yanks?

Steve
--------------

August 7th, 2012, 2:28 am #10

Given:

muzzle velocity - 850fps
pellet - JSB 18.1 grains

Targets:

--------------