I think you will like this

I think you will like this

April 25th, 2012, 1:47 pm #1

it brings tears to my eyes as i think about my 94 year old dad who was a B25 pilot.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RU1oB8sGyYM

April 25th, 2012, 4:09 pm #2

And makes for a wonderful spectacle. Can't help but think, however, what a committment and investment in time and national resources war making has been in this century. And for all that effort and energy, we still have racism, poverty and war with us. Maybe it was all money wasted. In many regards, the intellectual poverty prevalent in our society now is worse than the physcial poverty of earlier generations. At least physical poverty instilled a certain "grit" in individuals. In today's intellectual climate, we lunge for each others throat and seem content with deadlock and status quo rather than progress. I think progress and a better world were what that generation of men & women had in mind when they made their personal sacrifices. How they must be rolling in their graves, watching our generation's smug & self satisfied spectacle without substance, congratulations and back-patting without accomplishment. Looking at the culture these days, and what their children have seen fit to make of the world they were handed by that generation, it seems their sacrifice was for nothin'.

Looking at the ideals the "greatest generation" fought for, opposite what their children the "baby boomers" made of the world they were handed is what brings a tear to my eye.

April 25th, 2012, 4:25 pm #3

it brings tears to my eyes as i think about my 94 year old dad who was a B25 pilot.

these lines as I enjoy the spectacle and ogle these powerful machines.

I think it adds some balance and perspective and truth to what one is seeing, when one watches such spectacles:

Quoted from the "Tao Teh Ching"...

Armies are tools of violence;
They cause men to hate and fear.
The sage will not join them.
His purpose is creation;
Their purpose is destruction.

Weapons are tools of violence,
Not of the sage;
He uses them only when there is no choice,
And then calmly, and with tact,
For he finds no beauty in them.

Whoever finds beauty in weapons
Delights in the slaughter of men;
And who delights in slaughter
Cannot content himself with peace.

So slaughters must be mourned
And conquest celebrated with a funeral.

Not sure we, as good ol' red blooded americans necessarily do
right by this idea when we're exciting our kid's blood to boiling red hot with patriotism and swollen pride amid the spectacle of airshows
etc. where these sorts of things go down. As Americans we get awful quick on feelin' proud, but I think are a lot slower speaking the more somber truth & the lesson that these marvelous technical achievements had their origin and genesis in very troubled times, which are not to be lauded, praised or pined after in some glamorous and glorified fantasy version of the past.

I'm sure even those who lived it would admit, that they'de rather have not had these experiences or lived in such times that demanded them of individuals.

April 26th, 2012, 12:31 am #4

Interesting to see the old birds flying next to current planes.
Gives a great perspective as to size.
As said above was it worth it? America will always surprise those
that try to take away our freedom. The beltway fools may not know it,
but taking on America is a losing and costly task. From the inside
or by invasion.

April 26th, 2012, 2:28 am #5

we had rolled over when Japan attacked the U.S. and given in to their ambitions? They would have had the resourses to continue to occupy manchuria and eventually all of China. Armed with those resources they would have united with Germany to attack Russia. The Russians would have been defeated and now the Germans and the Japanese would have had unlimited production capacity and resourses and would have swept over Europe and defeated England. All of Europe would have been dominated by people who readilly commit genicide and who hated us.

But we would not have wasted any money on silly war machines.

April 26th, 2012, 3:21 pm #6

separate the acts of war and killing from the tools....up to a point,just as I can separate my love of guns from their actual function of killing.....though I sorta hate black assault looking weapons....I am Jesse,I am a hypocrite; join me and salute those who fought and as a community of humans also fight against war..

April 27th, 2012, 2:40 pm #7

And makes for a wonderful spectacle. Can't help but think, however, what a committment and investment in time and national resources war making has been in this century. And for all that effort and energy, we still have racism, poverty and war with us. Maybe it was all money wasted. In many regards, the intellectual poverty prevalent in our society now is worse than the physcial poverty of earlier generations. At least physical poverty instilled a certain "grit" in individuals. In today's intellectual climate, we lunge for each others throat and seem content with deadlock and status quo rather than progress. I think progress and a better world were what that generation of men & women had in mind when they made their personal sacrifices. How they must be rolling in their graves, watching our generation's smug & self satisfied spectacle without substance, congratulations and back-patting without accomplishment. Looking at the culture these days, and what their children have seen fit to make of the world they were handed by that generation, it seems their sacrifice was for nothin'.

Looking at the ideals the "greatest generation" fought for, opposite what their children the "baby boomers" made of the world they were handed is what brings a tear to my eye.

Us baby boomers did truly benefit, and in many ways waste the spoils of war.
But many made great sacrifices during the "Cold War".

April 30th, 2012, 1:38 pm #8

separate the acts of war and killing from the tools....up to a point,just as I can separate my love of guns from their actual function of killing.....though I sorta hate black assault looking weapons....I am Jesse,I am a hypocrite; join me and salute those who fought and as a community of humans also fight against war..
have a nice day