I need to vent!

I need to vent!

July 15th, 2012, 1:21 am #1

Problem is, I can't really say what I need to say without my post getting deleted for mentioning unmentionables! So lets see how much I can talk around it without getting in trouble .

Once upon a time, I belonged to another airgun forum. I know, hard to believe, but we've all been young and stupid at one time or another. Not only was I a member in good standing, I was even a moderator. But one day, I voiced one too many differing opinions on how things should be done, and incurred the wrath of the forum owner, who decided to publicly dress me down. Needless to say, this peeved me a bit, and since I was already having misgivings about the direction the forum was going, I decided to resign as a moderator, and drop out of the forum completely. But I chose to do it quietly and respectfully, no big, dramatic final post, and no running off to another forum and bad mouthing anyone.

So fast forward a couple of years, and I'm feeling the need for a bigger audience to show off my talents too . I go back to the old forum, go through the registration process, using the same login and email address from old, and all seems fine. I get the automated response that my registration request has been received, then a couple of hours later, another email saying my membership is approved. I'll admit, I was expecting a little more of a personal message, something along the lines of "Welcome back, Dave, but be cool". But hey, it's a bigger operation now than it was a few years back.

On Saturday's, I have a 7 acre park I mow, and since we've been over 100 degrees here every day for the last week, I headed out pretty early. Took a minute to check in on the new old forum, there were a couple of nice responses to my initial "hi, I'm back" post, but nothing to get excited about. So after spending 4 1/2 hours frying my brains in the seat of my John Deere garden tractor, I come home to the A/C and my computer. Check my email first thing, and there's this lovely little message from the forum owner saying "Just wanted to let you know that we will not put up with your attitude issues you had as a previous member of the *****. We did not appreciate it then and absolutely won't put up with it this time."

Needless to say, this triggered my "attitude issues" big time, and I decided this whole thing was a mistake, and said so. And this time, I also added to my initial "hi" post to say goodbye, and why, but without slamming anyone or going into details. But the real cherry on top? I went to the other forum just to log myself out, and got a nice little message saying get lost, you are permanently banned, do not pass Go, do not collect $200, don't call us and we'll forget we EVER called you. To those of you that still belong to that forum, you have my sympathy, I think. For the rest of you, thanks for letting me rant. Later.

Dave

July 15th, 2012, 5:26 am #2

I am venting 2,but not worth even trying to figure out.....as I am also old and wise.

July 15th, 2012, 8:44 am #3

It's just that all the stupid people get knocked off along the way.

Graeme

If it ain't broke you arn't trying hard enough

July 15th, 2012, 11:43 am #4

Problem is, I can't really say what I need to say without my post getting deleted for mentioning unmentionables! So lets see how much I can talk around it without getting in trouble .

Once upon a time, I belonged to another airgun forum. I know, hard to believe, but we've all been young and stupid at one time or another. Not only was I a member in good standing, I was even a moderator. But one day, I voiced one too many differing opinions on how things should be done, and incurred the wrath of the forum owner, who decided to publicly dress me down. Needless to say, this peeved me a bit, and since I was already having misgivings about the direction the forum was going, I decided to resign as a moderator, and drop out of the forum completely. But I chose to do it quietly and respectfully, no big, dramatic final post, and no running off to another forum and bad mouthing anyone.

So fast forward a couple of years, and I'm feeling the need for a bigger audience to show off my talents too . I go back to the old forum, go through the registration process, using the same login and email address from old, and all seems fine. I get the automated response that my registration request has been received, then a couple of hours later, another email saying my membership is approved. I'll admit, I was expecting a little more of a personal message, something along the lines of "Welcome back, Dave, but be cool". But hey, it's a bigger operation now than it was a few years back.

On Saturday's, I have a 7 acre park I mow, and since we've been over 100 degrees here every day for the last week, I headed out pretty early. Took a minute to check in on the new old forum, there were a couple of nice responses to my initial "hi, I'm back" post, but nothing to get excited about. So after spending 4 1/2 hours frying my brains in the seat of my John Deere garden tractor, I come home to the A/C and my computer. Check my email first thing, and there's this lovely little message from the forum owner saying "Just wanted to let you know that we will not put up with your attitude issues you had as a previous member of the *****. We did not appreciate it then and absolutely won't put up with it this time."

Needless to say, this triggered my "attitude issues" big time, and I decided this whole thing was a mistake, and said so. And this time, I also added to my initial "hi" post to say goodbye, and why, but without slamming anyone or going into details. But the real cherry on top? I went to the other forum just to log myself out, and got a nice little message saying get lost, you are permanently banned, do not pass Go, do not collect $200, don't call us and we'll forget we EVER called you. To those of you that still belong to that forum, you have my sympathy, I think. For the rest of you, thanks for letting me rant. Later.

Dave

And if I don't see you tomorrow--HELLO

July 15th, 2012, 3:02 pm #5

I am venting 2,but not worth even trying to figure out.....as I am also old and wise.
The process simply accelerates as we get older. The ONLY thing you can be sure of in life is that no one gets out alive. Later.

Dave

July 15th, 2012, 3:06 pm #6

It's just that all the stupid people get knocked off along the way.

Graeme

If it ain't broke you arn't trying hard enough
I've met just as many old stupid people as young over the years, too often it's the smart people around the stupid ones that get knocked off. At the very least, stupid should hurt a lot, and for the exceptionally stupid, it should be fatal. Unfortunately, that's not how it usually works. But that's a subject for an entirely different rant. Later.

Dave

July 15th, 2012, 3:08 pm #7

Apparently, you cared enough to read and comment. Later.

Dave

July 15th, 2012, 3:16 pm #8

interested and read the post. A very controlled vent too. I was also glad that your post had a n/t so as not to waste my time opening an unwarrented comment.

July 15th, 2012, 4:36 pm #9

Dave
Sometimes folks vent about something in their lives that is totaly unrelated to these forums or members and everyone is able to interprut the rant fairly because all the details are available. This particular rant reads more like one of those documents you see where one side of the story (half the facts) is all crossed out in black Sharpie.

Could you at least report what your "talents" are that you needed an audience for?

I have no clue what really happened but there is usually a common denominator between all folks who get banned from forums...just sayin'.

July 15th, 2012, 9:14 pm #10

Without running afoul of the forum rules. If you're really that interested, email me direct, and I'll point you to where you can get the info needed to decide if there's some merit in my rant or I'm just a whiner.

As to my "talents", note the smiley face, that was meant mostly as a joke. But again, if you're interested, go check out the Chinese forum, I do have some basic skills as a wannabe machinist, and I like showing off my work. That is one of the primary reasons for these forums, isn't it?

"Common denominator between all folks who get banned from forums..."? I've been banned from this forum several times in the past, something that used to be a fairly common occurrence for lots of folks. There were various reasons for it at the time, but they really all boiled down to the same thing, I forgot the primary rule: the guy that owns the forum gets to make the rules. And BTW, I'm not throwing stones at Steve or the moderators in any way. This was a very different place a few years back, and I think Steve has done a hell of a job of making the YF a better place for all of us. The rules make sense, and I heartily approve of them. In fact, my initial parting with the aforementioned forum had to do with a comparison of rule enforcement on the Classifieds between here and there, with here being the example of how it should be done. THAT was the "not appreciated" in that lovely little email. BTW, in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't banned then, I dropped out without making a fuss.

But a big part of my current ire with that other forum is that they used to pride themselves on almost never banning people without really making an effort to find an alternative. In the 4 or 5 years that I was an active member there, they banned 2 people, both well deserving of being banned, and even then they agonized over the decision. What really set me off here was the rude, off hand way in which the whole thing was handled, and how much at odds that handling is with what they profess to be, supposedly more a family than just a group of friends. I guess I just expected a little more benefit of the doubt, more fool me. Later.

Dave