I need to brag on Carlos...

I need to brag on Carlos...

June 26th, 2012, 2:33 am #1

So Carlos Garza shot a personal best at Yegua this weekend, with a 41 of 42 in Hunter class... Good enough for best score overall... The next best score was from Mike Vredenburg, wIth a respectabke 40 of 42 in the Open-PCP class.

Tell you what, those Hunter scores keep getting higher, and folks seem to be having fun with the buckets & stciks... Ummh,, that's a good thing!

Congrats Carlos,
HhokEm

June 26th, 2012, 2:56 am #2

Still shooting the S400?

June 26th, 2012, 3:05 am #3

So Carlos Garza shot a personal best at Yegua this weekend, with a 41 of 42 in Hunter class... Good enough for best score overall... The next best score was from Mike Vredenburg, wIth a respectabke 40 of 42 in the Open-PCP class.

Tell you what, those Hunter scores keep getting higher, and folks seem to be having fun with the buckets & stciks... Ummh,, that's a good thing!

Congrats Carlos,
HhokEm
Great shooting!

Wish I could have made it. I volunteered for this weekend prior to the schedule change to the 24th.

June 26th, 2012, 4:05 am #4

Congrats Carlos,
HhokEm
And he certainly proved it yesterday. Congrats again Carlito!

June 26th, 2012, 5:54 am #5

Still shooting the S400?
I still can't out shoot my S-400.

Here's the narrative. After helping set up the course, I was running late. I took 4 shots to check if my scope had shifted, 2@10 yards(single hole), 2@ 50yards(3/8"ctc). I resisted any temptation to futz with my scope after that.

We started after 10am. The course wasn't overly difficult and the wind conditions on the Longhorn range were very light. Now the caveat, easily 90+F with about 50% humidity and the temps only got higher. Pretty sure we were close to the 100F mark by the time we finished. I pretty sure I just outlasted Ron who shot a 39/42. The one shot that I missed was the dreaded 3/8" kz Hornet @ 10 yards. IMHO the hardest shot was a 3/4" kz weasel at about 30 yards that was a very neutral tan that just seemed to blend the KZ into the shady spot it was set at.

In our delirum from dehydration and heat stroke, we then decided to shot a 42 shot pistol match. I didn't do so well in that but I think I finally figured out a stable shooting position for PFT by the end of the match. I'm fairly certain that I drank at least a gallon of fluid and was still cramping after we ate dinner.

In terms of temperature conditions, this was one of the toughest matches I've ever shot.

June 26th, 2012, 6:22 am #6

I want reemphasize to all/any the new shooters reading this that an entry level gun like the S-400 is fully capable of winning matches. Ron Robinson was well within striking distance of winning the Nationals HFT class with his awesome QB-79/HPA back in '09.

There's also a lot of talk about scopes that I think is fairly political in nature, at least for Hunter class. If you can see the kill zone in focus with a Leapers or Simmons 12x scope and it can range find the distance with consistency, spending big money on high dollar scope is pretty pointless. Having some spherical aberration on the scope edges doesn't make a scope inferior in function!

No high dollar equipment can replace trigger time and practice. That's the most important investment you can make to achieve success in FT. Know your gun!

June 26th, 2012, 8:05 am #7

Congrats Carlos,
HhokEm
I still have room for improvement! More proof positive that you don't need anything more than 12x for this sport!

June 26th, 2012, 9:17 am #8

And he certainly proved it yesterday. Congrats again Carlito!
You missed one shot on the toughest target on the course and then after 2 hours of intense heat, possibly fatigued, you missed a couple of shots and gave me some breathing room. We were both wondering how well Doug Witowski was shooting! We've been close to the Open PCP class scores for quite some time and now the raging debate will be renewed as to whether there should be just a single class for PCP.

June 26th, 2012, 10:14 am #9

I want reemphasize to all/any the new shooters reading this that an entry level gun like the S-400 is fully capable of winning matches. Ron Robinson was well within striking distance of winning the Nationals HFT class with his awesome QB-79/HPA back in '09.

There's also a lot of talk about scopes that I think is fairly political in nature, at least for Hunter class. If you can see the kill zone in focus with a Leapers or Simmons 12x scope and it can range find the distance with consistency, spending big money on high dollar scope is pretty pointless. Having some spherical aberration on the scope edges doesn't make a scope inferior in function!

No high dollar equipment can replace trigger time and practice. That's the most important investment you can make to achieve success in FT. Know your gun!
Carlos, Well spoken!nt

June 26th, 2012, 2:41 pm #10

Congrats Carlos,
HhokEm
Very inspirational, but not surprising. You've proven once again that practice and knowing one's equipment trumps the equipment itself. Spread the word!

Awesome.

Brian

..if I had money, they'd call me "eccentric"