I need some opinions on where to get a barrel machined for my Steyr...

I need some opinions on where to get a barrel machined for my Steyr...

September 7th, 2017, 12:22 pm #1

I bought a polygon barrel from LW and I want to do some testing with it. They come 23.8 inches long and I want to get it cut down to between 17.5 and 20 inches depending on some other testing I am currently doing for length.

So who would you send your barrel to if you needed to get it cut and have the breech machined into it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Boomer

September 7th, 2017, 3:00 pm #2

Brian, try will Piatt,. Saddle mountain gunsmithing.com

September 7th, 2017, 3:28 pm #3

I bought a polygon barrel from LW and I want to do some testing with it. They come 23.8 inches long and I want to get it cut down to between 17.5 and 20 inches depending on some other testing I am currently doing for length.

So who would you send your barrel to if you needed to get it cut and have the breech machined into it?

Thanks,
Boomer
I had 50 Whiscombe barrels all made up by Jim Gaska , Marmot Machine works. Tell him I sent you ….

http://marmotmilitia.com/contact-us.html

September 7th, 2017, 4:39 pm #4

Boomer

September 7th, 2017, 4:40 pm #5

I had 50 Whiscombe barrels all made up by Jim Gaska , Marmot Machine works. Tell him I sent you ….

http://marmotmilitia.com/contact-us.html
Boomer

September 8th, 2017, 2:25 am #6

Thanks,
Boomer
Will reworked my factory Steyr barrel shortening it to remove a constriction just inside the breech and re-machining the leade and bolt mating surfaces.

Excellent work and meticulous instruction to get the barrel set back up and optimized in the chassis (I only shipped him the barrel)

A very satisfied customer...
Danny

September 8th, 2017, 12:04 pm #7

Will is an awesome man! I have met him and talked to him a bunch of times on the GP trail in the past few years. I am very familiar with taking the barrel on and off so that is no problem once the work is done.

I feel very confident sending a barrel to Will and getting it back and having it work properly as expected.

Will is most likely going to get a call from me once I get the length figured out.

Thanks Broham!

Boomer

September 8th, 2017, 1:07 pm #8

Thanks,
Boomer
I've heard comments from Thomas users that the Poly barrels use quite a bit more air, especially in the shorter lengths. I assume this is because the lesser resistance in the Poly does not build the back pressure (as quickly) to close the valve the way a conventionally rifled barrel would. Makes sense to me.

So, if you can't decide which length -- "between 17.5 and 20 inches" -- I would pick longer within that range rather than shorter to preserve velocity and to conserve on air.

You can always cut it shorter later, but you can't add barrel if it's too short.

Just a thought, FWIW...

September 8th, 2017, 2:00 pm #9

I can always have it trimmed down but cannot add more. I would have to buy a new barrel in that case and that is another $125 each time. Greg has 2 barrels for his Thomas(14 15/16" and 18") and he was going to do the same testing to figure out which was more efficient for him as well.

So here is how I am thinking about it. I have a 21.5" barrel on it now and I get 75 ish good shots per fill. If I can get down to 18" barrel to shorten the whole rig up a little bit and retain at least 65ish shots per fill, I would be happy(provided the poly bbl works for my rig). I have not even taken a shot out of my rig with a poly bbl yet so it will all be testing I do to see if I can squeeeeek any additional performance out of my rig.

thanks,
Boomer

September 8th, 2017, 2:05 pm #10

Thanks,
Boomer
Boomer, what twist did you get? Do you know?