I met my birthday pushup goal 20 days early

I met my birthday pushup goal 20 days early

July 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm #1

I started doing pushups at age 49 on my Dr's advice for a back problem. At the time 4 sets of 22 ten minutes apart was my limit.

At birthdate 50 I did 4 sets of 50 in 30 minutes for a total of 200 pushups, and each year I increase it. For example, I turned 60 in Naga City Philippines and the goal was 4 sets of 60 in 30 minutes, but I went on to do 10 sets of 60 in 90 minutes for 600 pushups.

This year at birthdate 63, the goal was 630 pushups inside of 60 minutes, or 7 sets of 90 pushups.
I do the pushups on a waxed wood parkay floor and touch the floor at the lowest state, the slick floor increases the core benefit of the exercise.

This might not seem like much when you consider one year ago, I was doing 6 sets of 100, then a set of 60 elevated with my feet in a chair for 660 pushups in one hour. I was also doing curls inbetween the sets, but I got a shoulder injury from the curls and had to stop shoulder exercises for a few months.

I do pushups every other day, and on the off days do a 4 mile hill power walk and try to keep a 4 mile per hour pace.

Two days ago, I started the attempt and got a phone call midway and it messed up my timing.

So today at 8:00 am I started and at 8:59, I hit 630.

I firmly believe pushups are close to a ideal exercise, I have a full gym in the basement, but prefer the pushups due to the fact they do not bulk you up and concentrate on the bodies core.They can be started at almost any age as can power walking.

They are an exercise that requires no equipment, that you can do in private anywhere ie, on vacation or while traveling in your hotel room.

The most important thing, and I can't stress this enough, do penty of stretching exercises and wall pushups before you start each time, no stretching will result in painful shoulder inuries. Also stay clear of Perfect pushup type machines, both my wife and I have recieved injuries on the Perfect Pushup machine as have a multude of others.

Me at 62 and 345 days,

[/IMG]

July 22nd, 2012, 8:40 pm #2

I am 58, and do 600, 10 sets of 60 on alternate days. The other days I either do a 45 minute self inflicted yoga routine or a pulling routine. I agree about pushups; they work more than just the chest/triceps. Much of the core abdominals are involved, and doing different variations hit the muscle groups differently. Unfortunately there does not seem to be an equipment free pulling exercise that is as comprehensive as pushups; a body row would seem to be the closest, but requires a bar several feet off the ground. Great job; you are setting yourself up for a pleasant as possible aging experience.

July 22nd, 2012, 9:05 pm #3

I watch the diet also, high protien low fat low calorie.

I discoved unsweetend Vanilla Almond milk, no carbs, no fat, 35 calories to the cup, so I put in Splenda and let it set to increase the sweetness and then put it in a blender with a cup of the same milk frozen but without the sweenter. I add a 1/4 cup of bludberries, put it all in the blender and make a very lowcal sweet smoothie for breakfast and lunch,less than 100 calories.

Usually I only eat one high protien meal per day, grilled chicken or Pork tenderloin with homade BB sauce made with Splenda, but if I eat lunch it is bacon and eggs from our own chickens.

Altho not a diabetic,in the Philippines I could buy a sugar free ice cream made with Spenda that was marketed for Diabetics, some of it was flavored with the local tropical fruit and was deliscious.

I read that the only health critism of Spenda is that can make you crave sweets, but it is a disipline thing and folks like you and I who do this many pushups have that one under control.

We have 9 or ten blue berry bushes here on the vineyard and have picked 20 quarts so far from the three that have ripened.

I have a weight machine, a treadmill, exercise bike and a ab machine,but I prefer the psuhups to all of them. I do like the stair climbers tho.

We have a finite amount of premium healthy tomorrows left, the better shape we are in the more we have to enjoy.

Good for you on those pushups.

July 23rd, 2012, 1:03 am #4

We want to stay on top of the mesa until we get to the edge, then plummet vertically. Physiologically, there is no reason for the human body to weaken significantly before the mid to late seventies, assuming it is taken care of. That means physical stress and adaptation to that stress, aka exercise. Mid seventies is when it becomes difficult for tissue regeneration, healing and muscle/bone mass upkeep becomes an issue. Great job, Mr. unrepentant sinner, tk

July 23rd, 2012, 1:23 pm #5

I started doing pushups at age 49 on my Dr's advice for a back problem. At the time 4 sets of 22 ten minutes apart was my limit.

At birthdate 50 I did 4 sets of 50 in 30 minutes for a total of 200 pushups, and each year I increase it. For example, I turned 60 in Naga City Philippines and the goal was 4 sets of 60 in 30 minutes, but I went on to do 10 sets of 60 in 90 minutes for 600 pushups.

This year at birthdate 63, the goal was 630 pushups inside of 60 minutes, or 7 sets of 90 pushups.
I do the pushups on a waxed wood parkay floor and touch the floor at the lowest state, the slick floor increases the core benefit of the exercise.

This might not seem like much when you consider one year ago, I was doing 6 sets of 100, then a set of 60 elevated with my feet in a chair for 660 pushups in one hour. I was also doing curls inbetween the sets, but I got a shoulder injury from the curls and had to stop shoulder exercises for a few months.

I do pushups every other day, and on the off days do a 4 mile hill power walk and try to keep a 4 mile per hour pace.

Two days ago, I started the attempt and got a phone call midway and it messed up my timing.

So today at 8:00 am I started and at 8:59, I hit 630.

I firmly believe pushups are close to a ideal exercise, I have a full gym in the basement, but prefer the pushups due to the fact they do not bulk you up and concentrate on the bodies core.They can be started at almost any age as can power walking.

They are an exercise that requires no equipment, that you can do in private anywhere ie, on vacation or while traveling in your hotel room.

The most important thing, and I can't stress this enough, do penty of stretching exercises and wall pushups before you start each time, no stretching will result in painful shoulder inuries. Also stay clear of Perfect pushup type machines, both my wife and I have recieved injuries on the Perfect Pushup machine as have a multude of others.

Me at 62 and 345 days,

[/IMG]
heroes. I never could do many pushups even as a teenager. I took a karate class for a few years. Plenty of situps and pushups were done every class (once a week) to build up core strength. At the end I still couldn't keep up with the pushups, and I usually did a few sets during the week. Naturally in class stretching was the first thing we did. I didn't stretch when doing it on my own.

Right now I have arthritis in my right shoulder and elbow. Lifting my arm over my head is painful. Recently a step ladder went off from under me while trying to take an object out of a tree. I grabbed a branch to keep from falling, but when I dropped to the ground all I could do was hold my shoulder and moan for a few minutes. Very painful.

I know I should start doing pushups again. (Started walking/jogging during lunch at work a few months ago.) However, I never expect to come near what you two are doing when it comes to pushups.

We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and then tax it out of business? - Will Rogers

July 23rd, 2012, 3:05 pm #6

Start easy, especially with an injury; wall pushes as the OP said, or from the knees, and don't go all the way down. I have a nagging shoulder thingie and some of my sets some days are short stroked, but jeez so what. My soon to be wife's ex does ONE set of 300...100 is the most I have done. A few years ago there was a marine interviewed on a local radio show as the pushup king; he did over 700 while in the studio and talking with them through a good part of it. Just wish it was more fun, tk

July 23rd, 2012, 3:41 pm #7

When I get injuries, I take up power wallking with a vengence.

Anything that gets your heart pumping will be beneficial, even chasing that bride to be.

Another thing I like for exercise is dancing, and I go full at it in my gyrations on the dance floor and I am wringing wet in sweat when I am done for the night. But you can turn on the Rock and Roll or Country music and do it in the privacy of your home if you wish.

I had a couple we dance with ask me why I exercised so hard. She had just had her knees redone because she carried too much weight, her husband, a very bright guy knew why, he was being ravaged by diabetes and at 6'0" weighed 320lbs, and they had to ask????

Posters here jibe me on this forum because I am on this fat thing and they write that I see fat people everywhere. And yes I do and we all do. Go to a Supermarket, look at the overwieght people and what they buy and put in their bodies, Want a visual treat? Go to Walmart and walk around and see the state of our physical society.

When I was a preteen in school, we had one fatty in the class every year. Look at the weight of kids today, their parents wring their hands and say they can't control it, what BS, they buy and prepare the food that kid eats..

Overeating robs you of lifes experiences and makes you prone to diabetes. Do you know that folks who have the by pass tomach surgery leave the hospital without diabetes? It is a food borne disease.,

We as a nation and for the most part as a species have become obese, we take in more energy than we burn and that has gotten us to where we are. It is a simple equasion, take in more energy than you burn and you store it as fat. Different body types burn energy at different rates, but the math is still the same.

What are the statistics now? 1/3rd or 2/3rds of americans are obese.

I know folks get tired of me harping on this, or rubbing their noses in their pudgy guts, but this is a time bomb wainting to go off on our society and healthcare system. Luckily it seems we are at least holding even now, but only due to constant harping from doctors and health care professionals.

Get out and move, do it 3 or 4 times per day.

There is so much of life that can be enjoyed if your in shape to do it.

Now on that shoulder. Advil/Ibuprophen and cold packs. Start those pushups against the wall slowly, use that exercise to slowly and very gently stretch against those damaged muscles. Ice afterwards and take the Advil if you can stomach it. Be patient with it and go slowly. If it hurts, stop the wall pushups and go walking, medicate it and ice it.

For this Advil/Ibuprophen is a wonder drug, but it has an ugly side too. Watch you digestive comfort with the Advil/Ibuprophen, it kills 70,000 people per year with stomach bleeding.

You can do it, this can be the first day of your new life towards a better body, your attitude to improve puts you one step above the rest already, it is I that commend you.

July 23rd, 2012, 4:22 pm #8

Wholeheartedly concur, pun intended. There was a post a few days ago regarding pistol selection for a veterans club match style shooting. The P17 was suggested, then nixed because it is too difficult to cock.....oh well, tk

July 23rd, 2012, 4:57 pm #9

<p>is often forgotten...Balance is the key and one needs the "right" fuel to have a clear mind and clean body.You do not want to end up like a Jim Fixx...listen to what your body is telling you.</p><p>   Being in shape is a mental sport,one does not need to do half the amount of pushups  as you guys do to be in shape,but you set your goals and GOALS are what is important,you want to be realistic,it takes time to get you soft body in shape and one needs to go slow until your body catches up.</p><p>   I for one think what you put in your mouth is more important to your health than what you do,But it all comes together ,neglect one and you will have problems.....and even if you do all these things problems happen,but  do not happen as often or as serious plus getting over them is easier.....</p><p>   Mind body integration = the best you can be,remember that your goals should be what is obtainable to you ,Not what some other person does..</p><p>   </p>

July 23rd, 2012, 7:11 pm #10

as cigarettes, alcohol or drugs for others. I know I don't need it. I know it is no good for me, but can't leave it alone.

I started walking about 5 months ago, then interspersed it with jogging. My Achilles Tendons killed me. They are getting better, but sometimes when my thumb slides over them while taking my compression stockings off it pains me. Heck, weight of my foot on the bed while lying on my back can make them hurt.

An added problem is that I have had blood clots in all 4 limbs. Twice in the right leg...the 1st clot (which migrated to my lungs) and the last clot. It was bad enough the last time that I spent 2-1/2 weeks in the hospital plus they operated on it. The lady who does the Doppler tests in my vascular surgeon's office said it was only the 2nd time she had heard of an operation being done in all her years as a technician.

Both large veins were clotted. The inner one still barely has any flow at all. Naturally the small valves in the veins were destroyed. My right calf swells up about twice the size of my left one. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that my ankles bother me a lot. Especially the right one. As a youth my ankles were similar to piano wire. Tough as nails.

Now after jogging a short distance I have to favor the right leg due to the pain in my ankle. I keep pushing tho figuring my body will eventually become accustomed to the grind.

I am overweight by way too much. 5'10-1/2" at 210 lbs. Most people guess me about 20 lbs. lighter. Either they are being kind, or are poor guessers.

My sugar is great....knock on wood.

Oh yeah. I walk/jog during my lunch break. I figure the walking I do before jogging is enough to stretch the tendons. If I took the time to stretch, I wouldn't have time to walk.

We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and then tax it out of business? - Will Rogers
Last edited by WobblesAlot on July 23rd, 2012, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.