I know everyone has an opinion about GAMO but....?

I know everyone has an opinion about GAMO but....?

April 10th, 2012, 6:05 pm #1

I sure am happy with everyones suggestions, and am having a blast with my P-17 and 953, as well as I finally got my IZH53M sighted in (after a little dremel work :P ). My next question is about GAMO. My neighbor has a nice little garden every year, and always struggles with pest birds, rabbits, and squirrels. I am reluctant to try and shoot them with any of the three above guns, as they dont have the knockdown power needed for rabbits and squirrels, or the larger birds. Since we live in the city, my powder burners are out of the question, so I was looking for an alternative means of dispatching those critters. My maximum shooting distance would be @25 yds, so I feel a .177 would work fine, but since I primarily hunt paper, I need some opiniions on what to get. I have seen the GAMO Bigcat locally for @ 130.00 bux, but I have a hard time spending that If I can achieve the same thing out of a Daisy 880 from Wally world for a third of the cost. Is the Gamo worth it, as in, will it last a while? It certainly wont get shot very much. What say you fine folks?

-Sean

April 10th, 2012, 6:16 pm #2

For the money out there for sure.

For example, Airguns of Arizona has a nice used RWS34 with scope for $139
You can pick up used Benjamin 392's for around the $100 mark.

I did a comparison write up some years back on a Shadow, RWS34, and then tuned the Shadow. While the tuned Shadow was almost as good as the 34, for the money put in, you were better off just buying a quality springer in the first place. The write up is in the 'Archives' somewhere.

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

April 10th, 2012, 6:20 pm #3

I sure am happy with everyones suggestions, and am having a blast with my P-17 and 953, as well as I finally got my IZH53M sighted in (after a little dremel work :P ). My next question is about GAMO. My neighbor has a nice little garden every year, and always struggles with pest birds, rabbits, and squirrels. I am reluctant to try and shoot them with any of the three above guns, as they dont have the knockdown power needed for rabbits and squirrels, or the larger birds. Since we live in the city, my powder burners are out of the question, so I was looking for an alternative means of dispatching those critters. My maximum shooting distance would be @25 yds, so I feel a .177 would work fine, but since I primarily hunt paper, I need some opiniions on what to get. I have seen the GAMO Bigcat locally for @ 130.00 bux, but I have a hard time spending that If I can achieve the same thing out of a Daisy 880 from Wally world for a third of the cost. Is the Gamo worth it, as in, will it last a while? It certainly wont get shot very much. What say you fine folks?

-Sean
<p>Not bashing Gamo (I own a couple myself), but call Mike Melick @ Flying Dragon.. He can set you up with a B-25 (clone of the RWS M 34) lube tuned for about the same or less than the stock Gamo.  I would choose the Gamo or the B-25 over the Daisy 880. There are several good spring guns for less than $150. If you're shooting @25 yds or less you don't need big power. All that does it make the spring gun more difficult to shoot accurately.</p><p>Nathan</p>

April 10th, 2012, 6:25 pm #4

-Sean
the Big Cat 22 cal from Dunhams here for $120.I wanted a 440 in 22cal for years,sorry to say with all the plastic trigger housing parts,and plastic breechblock that all Gamo`s have now,it didn`t stay around long.If you just want to shoot pop cans,it will do,but save yourself the trouble and listen to Rob above!
The Gamo shot CP`s @ 670fps,that was good,but no trigger upgrades are available,gun is also much too light to be a good shooter.It uses a $.25 plastic rear spring guide,not much.Buy the Diana 34.You can also call Umarex and get a Demo 34P TO-5 177,0r 22cal for around $130,and the one I saw was new.
Dizz

April 10th, 2012, 7:00 pm #5

-Sean
Gamo does NOT sell any internal parts if it should break "and it will bust a spring sooner or later"
With an RWS you can buy any part for the rifle, cost is a bit more but a much better rifle

peterdragin@charter.net

April 10th, 2012, 7:28 pm #6

-Sean
Wally Mart carries the Crosman Storm and the Benjamin Titan, both good rifles for the money. And you can get parts from Crosman if/when needed. The Storm is about $110 and the Titan about $150, but it is a Nitro piston rifle. Aftermarket replacement triggers are available for the Crosman rifles if you just can't stand the original ones.

The Mike M. suggestion is a good one too.

I plink, therefore I am.
Last edited by airgunandy on April 10th, 2012, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2012, 7:31 pm #7

-Sean
and I love it but in my opinion there are better choices for the kind of $$ you want to spend....take alook at the QB78 & 79 great little shooters right out of the box.

April 10th, 2012, 7:43 pm #8

-Sean
I suspected a springer would be the way to go, other than an old crappy B-3 I had 15 yrs ago, I have no experiance with them. I have heard Mike mentioned quite a bit on these forums, and maybe I should give him a ring. So the other question is, is there an "economical" underlever springer out there? While not opposed to a break barrel design, I would assume an underlever style would be more accurate?

Thanks for the input!

-Sean

April 10th, 2012, 7:44 pm #9

and I love it but in my opinion there are better choices for the kind of $$ you want to spend....take alook at the QB78 & 79 great little shooters right out of the box.
Are the QB family CO2 guns?

-Sean

April 10th, 2012, 7:47 pm #10

I suspected a springer would be the way to go, other than an old crappy B-3 I had 15 yrs ago, I have no experiance with them. I have heard Mike mentioned quite a bit on these forums, and maybe I should give him a ring. So the other question is, is there an "economical" underlever springer out there? While not opposed to a break barrel design, I would assume an underlever style would be more accurate?

Thanks for the input!

-Sean
on the underlever being more accurate.

99% of folks out there wont be able to notice a difference in accuracy in a good underlever and a good break barrel... and certainly not someone new to springers.

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.