I guess opossums ARE good for something after all.

I guess opossums ARE good for something after all.

July 10th, 2012, 3:38 pm #1

They're my least liked fur bearer for reasons best left for another day. But the reason for their DNA remaining unchanged for millions of years is possibly because they're so tough to kill.

http://bittelmethis.com/what-are-opossums/

(edited to correct link)
Last edited by haywire1 on July 10th, 2012, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 10th, 2012, 7:00 pm #2

<p>To show the Possum it could be done! </p><p>Doug S.</p>

July 10th, 2012, 8:01 pm #3

That's an old one from the Cold War era, better said with a Russian accent.

Happy Shooting!

Ed, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

July 10th, 2012, 9:08 pm #4

They're my least liked fur bearer for reasons best left for another day. But the reason for their DNA remaining unchanged for millions of years is possibly because they're so tough to kill.

(edited to correct link)
I been slugging them for years and they keep coming back.. R

July 10th, 2012, 11:52 pm #5

A guy I know from Texas said he was 17 before he realized that armadilloes could walk upright. The only ones he had ever seen were on the roadside with all four feet sticking up in the air.

July 11th, 2012, 2:12 am #6

(edited to correct link)
They are not born dead on the side of the road.

July 11th, 2012, 3:57 am #7

(edited to correct link)
A good ole possum is good for alot of things.1.you mentioned fur bearer,not worth much,about a buck or so but if you have a younger person that is interested in trapping this is a good hide to practice on,also make a nicer hide tha a person might think.2.Once you get past that ugly face the rest of the meat looks and taste great(looks like a giant squirrel once cleaned)Throw them in a holding cage,feed and water them for a few days,fruits and vegtables work well. " A serving off possum 31 grams of protien compared to 16 for pork.221 calories compared to 308 calories for the same serving 10 grams of fat pork26"Got these numbers from a hunting mag.When i started raising chickens again had to start trapping them extremely easy to catch.makes a good pot roast potato's carrots etc.

July 11th, 2012, 5:28 am #8

Trapping was where I got my dislike for them. They ruined so many sets that I all but quit trapping. The bottom dropping out of fur prices helped some too. I vowed to kill every possum I crossed paths with. I have personally seen them climb out of a dead cow carcass. I bet I'm one of the few that can claim a confirmed kill with a 10-speed bike. I don't mean running over one either. A 10-speed is a formidable weapon in the right hands. I found the article pretty amazing and pretty disturbing at the same time.

If I was starving, I might eat one. Until then, they are target practice.

Haywire

July 11th, 2012, 5:18 pm #9

Reference from the movie 'The Last Boyscout'.

July 12th, 2012, 12:11 am #10

Trapping was where I got my dislike for them. They ruined so many sets that I all but quit trapping. The bottom dropping out of fur prices helped some too. I vowed to kill every possum I crossed paths with. I have personally seen them climb out of a dead cow carcass. I bet I'm one of the few that can claim a confirmed kill with a 10-speed bike. I don't mean running over one either. A 10-speed is a formidable weapon in the right hands. I found the article pretty amazing and pretty disturbing at the same time.

If I was starving, I might eat one. Until then, they are target practice.

Haywire
Your right about them tearing a nice set up,they will destroy all the area around the trap( alerting every targeted catch around).Sometimes when i run into this i will try to lure them into a different set,so hopefully they will avoid my set for a specific catch,works most of the time.They certainly are prolific survivors,I have dispatched them in many way's "they are tough"and can produce 20 or more offspring per year.they live everywhere from Canada to South America.I have great respect for such a formitable creature,though i do find the ten speed thing funny,have not tried that one yet lmao.