"I did it myyyyyyy way!" (graphic)

"I did it myyyyyyy way!" (graphic)

April 8th, 2017, 2:29 am #1

I don't do a lot of hunting anymore, and prefer to make it a sporting proposition when I do hunt. Do enjoy hunting Spring turkeys, just not with typical weapons (shotgun).

I'd barely settled into my brush blind this afternoon, gotten comfortable and hit ONE soft series on the box call. Literally less than a minute later, this guy comes walking in looking for some action.

A well-placed .22 magnum hollow-point to the craw dropped him instantly, with no damage to the edibles. He's a good 'un- 23 pounds, 8.5" beard and 1" spurs.

Though today's was a short hunt, it helps make up for many hours of nothingness this season, and a complete shut-out last season. Suffice to say I love it when a plan comes together!

April 8th, 2017, 5:32 am #2

They used to say Turkeys were easily spooked, but when I lived in San Jose, CA Hills, they'd walk past me on hikes in the hills.

April 8th, 2017, 11:47 am #3

I don't do a lot of hunting anymore, and prefer to make it a sporting proposition when I do hunt. Do enjoy hunting Spring turkeys, just not with typical weapons (shotgun).

I'd barely settled into my brush blind this afternoon, gotten comfortable and hit ONE soft series on the box call. Literally less than a minute later, this guy comes walking in looking for some action.

A well-placed .22 magnum hollow-point to the craw dropped him instantly, with no damage to the edibles. He's a good 'un- 23 pounds, 8.5" beard and 1" spurs.

Though today's was a short hunt, it helps make up for many hours of nothingness this season, and a complete shut-out last season. Suffice to say I love it when a plan comes together!
I am a big .22 fan, lr or mag, can't see your single action. Is it a Ruger or Freedom Arms?

Jason G
Last edited by jason_garvin on April 8th, 2017, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2017, 11:53 am #4

I spent a fair amount of time talking to unseen turkeys. Never did get a shot at one. Zapping one with a .22 revolver is pretty impressive.

Which gun is that?

April 8th, 2017, 12:18 pm #5

Congratulations.
Most people lack the gumption to go after turks with handguns.
I don't know why, there is usually a good rest and time to aim..

A few years ago I took one with my HK USP 9mm.
I showed up at the shooting spot and they were milling around at the tree line.
The gun was stupid accurate (we'd been shooting dimes at 15yds recently), so I figured what the heck...aimed for his head...so what if I miss...didn't expect to hit anything 23 yards out....pow flop flop flop flop!

Nice!
Damn....now I have to clean it...

I'm in the habit of soaking slightly tainted meat in acids to stop putrefication.
Aka "That chicken is FINE, gimme the hotsauce and vinegar!" I also soak my lechon in acid marinade for 3-4 days IN THE GARAGE!

So when I say that bird was gamey...WOW.. turkey and dumplings, collard greens, soup...something to dilute it!

John = turkey safe zone.
Last edited by gratewhitehuntr on April 8th, 2017, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2017, 12:49 pm #6

Beg to differ on the "store-bought tastes better." I shot a turkey on the fly, with a single-shot muzzleloading 12 gauge, years ago in Mississippi. Was walking the dog behind the rural property and jumped it. That was the best turkey we ever ate - sweet, succulent, perfect.

April 8th, 2017, 1:24 pm #7

LOL taste? I never thought my teeth could bounce! nt
Last edited by gratewhitehuntr on April 8th, 2017, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2017, 3:07 pm #8

They used to say Turkeys were easily spooked, but when I lived in San Jose, CA Hills, they'd walk past me on hikes in the hills.

Until you try to hunt them. And though that could be said of many species of game, in my experience(s) it seems especially true of turkeys.

I have two big breast filets, but need to find a good recipe. The shot was about 35 yards.

April 8th, 2017, 3:14 pm #9

I am a big .22 fan, lr or mag, can't see your single action. Is it a Ruger or Freedom Arms?

Jason G
And I consider it the most accurate revolver on Earth! It shoots everything well (LR and magnum), but drills almost unbelievable groups with 30 grain Hornady V-Max magnums at 1875 FPS (chronographed). That load sure poleaxed the gobbler in impressive fashion. These are all five-shot (full cylinder) groups-

April 8th, 2017, 3:16 pm #10

I spent a fair amount of time talking to unseen turkeys. Never did get a shot at one. Zapping one with a .22 revolver is pretty impressive.

Which gun is that?
See my response above for more details. Suffice to say, "They don't give 'em away". Heck, they cost almost as much as a good airgun!