I am in trouble now ... and I need to be held accountable!

I am in trouble now ... and I need to be held accountable!

July 5th, 2017, 6:57 pm #1

OK - so I beleive I am in trouble now

What started about 12 years ago as an attempt to rid ourselves of tree rats has ofically turned into a problem. I used to shoot FT with my , then 11-14 year old son, now 21 year old son at TVA with the ocasional match up at Roz's place in Polaski, TN.

Here comes the trouble part. Those early events were shot by me and my son using some Crosman 2250 and a modded 22"25" that had the basic mods and a LW .25 barrel. Man did we have a great time. As the years went on we settled into a handfull of TX200(s) with a nice buschy 4200 mil dot. That worked great. Well my son went off to school and I got into trouble when about 2.5 years ago I traded a springer for a Marauder in .25

Then as the hand pumping got old I turned to a 6K PSI nitrogen setup. Got the guage set and a regulator. That is when the real trouble started. No longer shooting matches every month I settled into the mindset that "bigger is better" for my weekend backyard shooting events. I never went above a .25, however, when the RAW HMX in .25 showed up last year I was hooked - nicest PCP to date in my humble little collection.

About a month ago I realized that there is something to be said for the old standby .177 caliber. So now look at this!

Back on Saturday I had the great pleasure of (from the sale of my RAW in .20) to purchase the RAW TM1000 seen at the top of the pic. Mounted my trusty Hawke Airmax 8-32X50 and well let's just say I am in trouble!

What a laser that rifle is. It will get its own write up post with plenty of additional pics. I just had to report something after about 500 rounds down range in the last four days - trouble indeed!!

Here it is as I received it right after the sale in the trunk of my car. Just imaging a park and ride parking lot off the interstate in rural Alabama - two guys trading a rifle from truck to trunk. Now that I type that I guess in rural Alabama that does not seem out of place, regardless, here it was right after the pruchase...

I drove home and after mounting the scope proceeded to grin with delight as I promptly ran through the first tin of pellets. I have four "lanes" in my back yard with , mostly tree mounted, FTs that I recently went through each one and repaired them to stop false hits/falls. That is what happens when you beat up a FT with a .25.

They all drop like a dream now as I set to destroy the course. The middle rifle above came to me tuned and shrouded by Will P. An Evanix Rainstorm II in .177. Then I just got from the yellow the as new Maximus in .177.

So there you have it. My .177 PCP stable.

Now comes the accountability part - I live not too far from Roz's place. Not too far from Minor Hill, TN and not too far from Heflin, AL. I am absolutely spoiled by the bench rested shooting that I am doing - so please hold me accountable. Get me motivated to get out to a match or two.....

So far I have shot the TM1000 up to 100+ rounds on a charge of 190 BAR with no drop in POI. It was set up by Martin as a 12 FPE with AA 8.4 gr 4.52mm lead. I will come with rifle charged and ready to relaern the sport from a PCP perspective. I will just need a little help.

Thank you all!

~GOD BLESS~

john
Last edited by JCarl on July 5th, 2017, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 5th, 2017, 8:33 pm #2

into field target. You are surrounded by some of the best shooters in the country!

Ken Hughes, Rob Seidon, Harold Ruston, Roz Sumpter, David Slade, and many others between Atlanta Ga. and Tennessee. You should have plenty of advice to glean from those groups.

July 6th, 2017, 12:11 am #3

What started about 12 years ago as an attempt to rid ourselves of tree rats has ofically turned into a problem. I used to shoot FT with my , then 11-14 year old son, now 21 year old son at TVA with the ocasional match up at Roz's place in Polaski, TN.

Here comes the trouble part. Those early events were shot by me and my son using some Crosman 2250 and a modded 22"25" that had the basic mods and a LW .25 barrel. Man did we have a great time. As the years went on we settled into a handfull of TX200(s) with a nice buschy 4200 mil dot. That worked great. Well my son went off to school and I got into trouble when about 2.5 years ago I traded a springer for a Marauder in .25

Then as the hand pumping got old I turned to a 6K PSI nitrogen setup. Got the guage set and a regulator. That is when the real trouble started. No longer shooting matches every month I settled into the mindset that "bigger is better" for my weekend backyard shooting events. I never went above a .25, however, when the RAW HMX in .25 showed up last year I was hooked - nicest PCP to date in my humble little collection.

About a month ago I realized that there is something to be said for the old standby .177 caliber. So now look at this!

Back on Saturday I had the great pleasure of (from the sale of my RAW in .20) to purchase the RAW TM1000 seen at the top of the pic. Mounted my trusty Hawke Airmax 8-32X50 and well let's just say I am in trouble!

What a laser that rifle is. It will get its own write up post with plenty of additional pics. I just had to report something after about 500 rounds down range in the last four days - trouble indeed!!

Here it is as I received it right after the sale in the trunk of my car. Just imaging a park and ride parking lot off the interstate in rural Alabama - two guys trading a rifle from truck to trunk. Now that I type that I guess in rural Alabama that does not seem out of place, regardless, here it was right after the pruchase...

I drove home and after mounting the scope proceeded to grin with delight as I promptly ran through the first tin of pellets. I have four "lanes" in my back yard with , mostly tree mounted, FTs that I recently went through each one and repaired them to stop false hits/falls. That is what happens when you beat up a FT with a .25.

They all drop like a dream now as I set to destroy the course. The middle rifle above came to me tuned and shrouded by Will P. An Evanix Rainstorm II in .177. Then I just got from the yellow the as new Maximus in .177.

Now comes the accountability part - I live not too far from Roz's place. Not too far from Minor Hill, TN and not too far from Heflin, AL. I am absolutely spoiled by the bench rested shooting that I am doing - so please hold me accountable. Get me motivated to get out to a match or two.....

So far I have shot the TM1000 up to 100+ rounds on a charge of 190 BAR with no drop in POI. It was set up by Martin as a 12 FPE with AA 8.4 gr 4.52mm lead. I will come with rifle charged and ready to relaern the sport from a PCP perspective. I will just need a little help.

Thank you all!

~GOD BLESS~

john
Be there or B L7 ha ha

July 6th, 2017, 6:16 pm #4

Thank you all!

~GOD BLESS~

john
I am about to head out on a business trip this coming week so will be busy at the homefront this weekend. I am excited to get to some matches, however, might have to wait a bit until I can get out to them.

I am very excited to see people again - that is what I love most about the sport. Ofcourse always esciting to have a new "to me" rifle to shoot as well

Roz has a great place. I wish I could be there!

Take care.

~GOD BLESS~

john

July 6th, 2017, 6:18 pm #5

into field target. You are surrounded by some of the best shooters in the country!

Ken Hughes, Rob Seidon, Harold Ruston, Roz Sumpter, David Slade, and many others between Atlanta Ga. and Tennessee. You should have plenty of advice to glean from those groups.
Paul - my son, Ben, and I came up to the TVA120 match a few years back. IIRC my son got paired with you on a squad or I with you. He was shooting my TX200 and I was shooting a woefully underpowered CO2 rifle of all things!

Hope to meet up again with some proper gear......

~GOD BLESS~

john

July 7th, 2017, 1:21 am #6

Thank you all!

~GOD BLESS~

john
John,
Come on down, up or over and we will have a blast.
Pat

July 7th, 2017, 2:45 am #7

Paul - my son, Ben, and I came up to the TVA120 match a few years back. IIRC my son got paired with you on a squad or I with you. He was shooting my TX200 and I was shooting a woefully underpowered CO2 rifle of all things!

~GOD BLESS~

john
I was that spaced out yankee who drove 23 hours solo to be there. Well I hope you get all the help you need down there and make your way to a northern shoot or two in the process.

July 7th, 2017, 3:16 am #8

~GOD BLESS~

john
Last edited by jroh1 on July 7th, 2017, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 7th, 2017, 10:36 am #9

~GOD BLESS~

john
at the TVA. I also shot with you and your son on my first match -

can't find the pictures, and photo-bucket won't let me log in.................heavy sigh.......

July 7th, 2017, 6:18 pm #10

out. He shot a 30 for the match. You really handicapped yourself with no dope sheet and using a Co2 gun in the heat....

Had to give you credit for hitting anything! Your power was lower, your mil holds were off then, but you still championed on like a trooper.

Hope to see you at one of the matches down there. Talk to me or Ken Huges at the Atlanta club about going to the Deep Woods shoot in Greenwood AL. Mark said it looks like it will be his last match. He has health issues and is not doing the matches after this one.

Great time, great food and close lanes make this match like a cookout with friends and some plinking to boot!

Good luck going forward!