HW 98 vs 97 vs TX 200

HW 98 vs 97 vs TX 200

July 13th, 2012, 4:21 pm #1

I'm considering getting a springer for HFT, and possible FT use.
How does the recoil and/or hold sensitivity compare between these 3 rifles? Assume all three have Vortek PG2 kits.

Also, if I can install a PG2 kit, stone the trigger, deburr the cocking slot (with files/emory cloth), and polish the crown (with a brass bolt and compound) - is there any advantage to getting a pro to tune the gun?

Thanks.

July 13th, 2012, 6:53 pm #2

History shows the TX200 dominates the springer division but some have done well with the 77/97 but those folks tend to do well with any springer. Brad Troyer is a good example of that. All the guns you mention are springer so they will bbe identical in recoil and hold "IF" they are the same power level. Most tunes involve fit and finish and lower the power. I competed with a TX for 10 years and won plenty of wood but that was do mostly to sending pellets down range. The HW's have long trigger reaches which I can not tolerate and I also prefer the looks of the TX. My advise is get a 12ftlb TX200 and buy lots of pellets. If it twangs some heavy lube that won't fling off would be all I would change.

I don't shoot HFT but if they dont separate the springer/puffer divisions (I don't know if they do) then don't waste your time shooting a springer in HFT because you will only be frustrated by the high power puffer guns.
[/IMG]

July 13th, 2012, 11:21 pm #3

How does the recoil and/or hold sensitivity compare between these 3 rifles? Assume all three have Vortek PG2 kits.

Also, if I can install a PG2 kit, stone the trigger, deburr the cocking slot (with files/emory cloth), and polish the crown (with a brass bolt and compound) - is there any advantage to getting a pro to tune the gun?

Thanks.
Shoot it first without the kit and see how you like it. Then if desired get a JM Kit or a V-Mach kit and you are good to go.

-Casey

CASA Member - California Airgun Shooters Association: http://socasa.org

July 14th, 2012, 1:50 am #4

Thanks.
I have owned several TX200's over the years but I shot the best springer scores of my life with my old 12ftlb HW97. It was an excellent rifle and very consistent in my hands. It was not even tuned and never taken down as long as I had it. I had to sell it awhile back when I was sick and needed some cash. Personally I like the shine and finish on the TX200 better but in either case the best shooting springers I have had were all 12 ftlb actions. They are super smooth at that power level even untuned. The fact that more people win with TX200's is kind of a factor of the fact that more folks are told as you have been here that same thing and wind up buying a TX200 so more top shooters end up using them. IMHO either rifle is capable of winning in the hands of a good shooter. The Nationals have been won a couple times with an HW97 as I recall. For me it was just easier to shoot with the HW97. Peace

Pete

Pete Matos
Safe Journey Space Fans, Wherever you are....

July 14th, 2012, 4:08 am #5

Thanks.
The HW 98 is a break barrel. Comes with it's own baggage. Not necessarily a dissavantage, but certainly a consideration. The other two are fixed barrel. But you probably know that.

Other than that you're going to have two long lines, one is going to be a line of people waiting to tell you about the TX 200, the other a long line of folks adulating the HW 97/77. And they're going to sound remarkably alike.

While this is going on a third line of Pro Sport propponents will be forming. (Hey, look, is that Mr. Pirrone?)

The awful ugly truth is that you are going to have to seek out some one or ones who has one or all four of these rifles and try them yourself. Then you're going to have to tune them and try again.

The good news is, you can start with any of them and sleep well at night knowing that you have a gun that can out shoot you. For a long time to come. Perhaps forever.

The bad news is that as a human, subject to human foils and shortcomings, you will NEVER sleep well at night until you HAVE tried them all.

More good news, though.

Its a wonderful journey!