Hunting scope for the Disco

Hunting scope for the Disco

April 10th, 2009, 7:15 pm #1

I was just wondering what you guys are using for glass on your Disco hunters? I see some have the scopes mounted real high and some mounted at normal height. Any problems getting on target at close range with them mounted high? I ordered a Disco from MA and looking for some decent glass to put on her. I have a 3-9x40 ao but I was thinking I might need a little more and was thinking mildot for holdover/ under. Thanks

April 10th, 2009, 7:35 pm #2

I have a 3-9x32 on mine and it gets the job done but I wish I would've bought a 6-24x44 or 8-32x44. I think I would've enjoyed the higher power more. I didn't think the disco was going to be any good past 20 or 30yrds so I thought the smaller scope would be enough. I can hit what I'm aiming at but I think a stronger scope would help my shot placement on smaller, long distant prey.

April 10th, 2009, 10:38 pm #3

I was just wondering what you guys are using for glass on your Disco hunters? I see some have the scopes mounted real high and some mounted at normal height. Any problems getting on target at close range with them mounted high? I ordered a Disco from MA and looking for some decent glass to put on her. I have a 3-9x40 ao but I was thinking I might need a little more and was thinking mildot for holdover/ under. Thanks
I initially had a 50mm objective scope on mine, but I didn't like the height of the setup. I usually shoot at around 20 yards and will shoot as far as 40 from time to time. There wasn't an issue shooting with the high mounts, it just wasn't comfortable for me. I went to walmart the other day and picked up a Centerpoint 4-16x40 and mounted that one on a set of medium rings (ya gotta remove the rear sight) and it's working out really well. The mildots and illuminated reticle is a plus...

http://www.airgunone.com/forums/album.p ... tureid=376
Last edited by JonAg1 on April 10th, 2009, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 11th, 2009, 1:58 am #4

http://www.opticsplanet.net/tasco-25-10 ... rmint.html

While there is a higher mag model, I find that the farm pest hunting I do is best done at about 8 power. Lots of mag on the bench is handy, but too much power and finding stuff in the real world gets slow at best.

Another issue is objective lens diameter. Large lenses have short depth of field (distance between nearest and furthest thing in focus. OTOH, you need lens area to gather light so you can see. The formula for this is the diameter of your iris ('hole in your eyeball) times power. This size is typically about three mm, but can be up to maybe five in low light (a bit more for 'young eyes'). So the minimum I want is 40 mm (5mm times 8 power). 44 is a good compromise. Stuff is still fairly sharp even when the AO ring is a ways off.

I agree, mil dots are 'da bomb' if you're a hold over/hold off shooter like me. If you're a clicker, fine crosshairs will probably suit you more.

And I wouldn't sell the Discovery short at longer ranges. I've not hunted much with mine but I loaned it to a Belgain friend for a couple of ground squirrel hunts. Marc's an excellent rifle shot, but it's a borrowed gun. A couple of days at the range and we took to the field. Amongst other shots I watched him fire a 'textbook shot', as a first shot on a critter that came out of a hole he'd ranged earlier. It was over 80 yards (by more than a bit). The tool is potentially up to some mighty fine shooting, if the shooter is.

BTW, that price is shipped. IMO very hard to beat.

Good hunting.

Doug Owen

April 11th, 2009, 2:07 am #5

Here are the links to the best choices in my opinion

A 3-9x40 with a mil dot recticle.http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=659

A 3-9x50mm objective. The bigger tube and objective let in more light but you may need higher mounts. This is the same price as the one above.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=658

I dont think you need anything bigger that 3-9 on the Disco. Hope this helps.

April 11th, 2009, 2:10 am #6

http://www.opticsplanet.net/tasco-25-10 ... rmint.html

While there is a higher mag model, I find that the farm pest hunting I do is best done at about 8 power. Lots of mag on the bench is handy, but too much power and finding stuff in the real world gets slow at best.

Another issue is objective lens diameter. Large lenses have short depth of field (distance between nearest and furthest thing in focus. OTOH, you need lens area to gather light so you can see. The formula for this is the diameter of your iris ('hole in your eyeball) times power. This size is typically about three mm, but can be up to maybe five in low light (a bit more for 'young eyes'). So the minimum I want is 40 mm (5mm times 8 power). 44 is a good compromise. Stuff is still fairly sharp even when the AO ring is a ways off.

I agree, mil dots are 'da bomb' if you're a hold over/hold off shooter like me. If you're a clicker, fine crosshairs will probably suit you more.

And I wouldn't sell the Discovery short at longer ranges. I've not hunted much with mine but I loaned it to a Belgain friend for a couple of ground squirrel hunts. Marc's an excellent rifle shot, but it's a borrowed gun. A couple of days at the range and we took to the field. Amongst other shots I watched him fire a 'textbook shot', as a first shot on a critter that came out of a hole he'd ranged earlier. It was over 80 yards (by more than a bit). The tool is potentially up to some mighty fine shooting, if the shooter is.

BTW, that price is shipped. IMO very hard to beat.

Good hunting.

Doug Owen
Thanks Doug I have been eyeing that scope for a while guess I should have asked around about it. The highest power I think I would want is 12 and probably never use it lol. i'll look into the Tasco more. thanks!!!!!!

April 11th, 2009, 2:15 am #7

I initially had a 50mm objective scope on mine, but I didn't like the height of the setup. I usually shoot at around 20 yards and will shoot as far as 40 from time to time. There wasn't an issue shooting with the high mounts, it just wasn't comfortable for me. I went to walmart the other day and picked up a Centerpoint 4-16x40 and mounted that one on a set of medium rings (ya gotta remove the rear sight) and it's working out really well. The mildots and illuminated reticle is a plus...

http://www.airgunone.com/forums/album.p ... tureid=376
Jon looks good. i had one of those scopes and it just didn't work for me. Now that wal-mart has them readily available i may try another one. thanks

April 11th, 2009, 4:33 am #8

Here are the links to the best choices in my opinion

A 3-9x40 with a mil dot recticle.http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=659

A 3-9x50mm objective. The bigger tube and objective let in more light but you may need higher mounts. This is the same price as the one above.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=658

I dont think you need anything bigger that 3-9 on the Disco. Hope this helps.
$50 is a good deal, check out the Kentucky Historic Salvage site it is the one with the green back round and Theoben on it.

April 11th, 2009, 6:32 am #9

Thanks Doug I have been eyeing that scope for a while guess I should have asked around about it. The highest power I think I would want is 12 and probably never use it lol. i'll look into the Tasco more. thanks!!!!!!
I'm probably using 5 or 6 of 'em myself, and have encouraged friends to buy about as many (for a while I was ordering them 2 at a time and 'selling' them at the range). They went on airguns and .22 RFs. Not a problem or 'upgrade' yet.

Good luck and good shooting.

Doug Owen