hunting advice for disco ??

hunting advice for disco ??

September 28th, 2009, 6:37 pm #1

i need some hunting advice for the discovery. i hear they are eloud - i'll solve that later. i have one coming tomorrow. i am needing your wisdom and/or experience w/ a refilling device - money will factor in the options greatly. should i get a quality hand-pump, a benjamin hand pump, or a smaller hpa tank to refill from in the field (i'm assuming that one could be carried in a backpack). also any advice in finding a cheap fill line w/ regulator and bleeder valve would be surely appreciated. thanx. - paul in ft.worth.

September 28th, 2009, 7:41 pm #2

The discos are a bit loud but like you said you can take care of that later. As for what to use to fill it.... if you're going to get a pump and can afford it I'd suggest getting one of the better pumps like a Hill rather than the Benjamin pump. I mostly use my scuba tank to fill my disco and with the 2000 psi fill limit I get a ton of fills out of my tank. I have a Benjamin pump and it works fine (so far) and it's very easy to fill up my disco with the pump. As for the smaller air tanks you mentioned, I have no experience with them so I can't help ya out there.

September 28th, 2009, 9:34 pm #3

i need some hunting advice for the discovery. i hear they are eloud - i'll solve that later. i have one coming tomorrow. i am needing your wisdom and/or experience w/ a refilling device - money will factor in the options greatly. should i get a quality hand-pump, a benjamin hand pump, or a smaller hpa tank to refill from in the field (i'm assuming that one could be carried in a backpack). also any advice in finding a cheap fill line w/ regulator and bleeder valve would be surely appreciated. thanx. - paul in ft.worth.
tanks and rules and inspections and all the stuff about tanks, bought the hill pump. i am happy. john

September 29th, 2009, 2:47 am #4

I just got my Disco, and need to fill it also. I decided on a scuba tank and adapter because...

I don't see getting a lot of fills out of the smaller Benjamin or similar air tank, and you might have the same problems and cost of getting it filled as a bigger scuba tank.
If it is larger than 2" in diameter, it has to be tested the same way as the scuba tank. I can see the hassle there running back and forth to fill the small tank every week.
Where as you get a lot of fills from the scuba tank.

A tank has to be pressure tested every 5 years...guaranteed you'll tear your Disco down more times than that.

It also has to be internally inspected once a year...you'll hopefully do that to your hand pump also.

The only real problem you might have is where to get it filled if you're not or don't know a certified diver. I under stand some shops let you sign a waiver, others don't.

You can find good deals on a used tank. I don't know about used pumps.
I bought a used 80 CuFt scuba tank which is quite big yesterday.

$50 tank
$25 new hydro pressure test
$20 inspection and fill
$75 (about)adapters for the Disco

It'll cost me $170. A pump is around $150 - $200, so for about the same money you can have either one.
I find the tank no more hassle than any other hunting gear I have to lug around. Others might not.

The thought of putting a light pump in my pack and hitting the trail appeals to me, but I don't figure to shoot more than 20-30 times on a hunt,
so I'd probably leave it in the car like the tank anyway.

I understand that the Hill pump is very good, but I'm too old for that Poo! (read that lazy)

So, it's the tank for me.

September 29th, 2009, 2:49 am #5

I live over in the mid-cities what part of Ft.Worth do you live in? There are several scuba shops in town that sell tanks and what you need to fill your disco.There is a shoot on Oct. 10th in Aledo here is some info if you would like to join us E-mail me @ garrysparks@att.net

September 29th, 2009, 2:38 pm #6

I just got my Disco, and need to fill it also. I decided on a scuba tank and adapter because...

I don't see getting a lot of fills out of the smaller Benjamin or similar air tank, and you might have the same problems and cost of getting it filled as a bigger scuba tank.
If it is larger than 2" in diameter, it has to be tested the same way as the scuba tank. I can see the hassle there running back and forth to fill the small tank every week.
Where as you get a lot of fills from the scuba tank.

A tank has to be pressure tested every 5 years...guaranteed you'll tear your Disco down more times than that.

It also has to be internally inspected once a year...you'll hopefully do that to your hand pump also.

The only real problem you might have is where to get it filled if you're not or don't know a certified diver. I under stand some shops let you sign a waiver, others don't.

You can find good deals on a used tank. I don't know about used pumps.
I bought a used 80 CuFt scuba tank which is quite big yesterday.

$50 tank
$25 new hydro pressure test
$20 inspection and fill
$75 (about)adapters for the Disco

It'll cost me $170. A pump is around $150 - $200, so for about the same money you can have either one.
I find the tank no more hassle than any other hunting gear I have to lug around. Others might not.

The thought of putting a light pump in my pack and hitting the trail appeals to me, but I don't figure to shoot more than 20-30 times on a hunt,
so I'd probably leave it in the car like the tank anyway.

I understand that the Hill pump is very good, but I'm too old for that Poo! (read that lazy)

So, it's the tank for me.
that the disco is pretty easy to pump up, at 2000 psi. if i had a pcp that had to go to 3000 psi, i probably would reconsider. where do you find 80 cu. ft. tanks that are not over age for $50? and the hill pump cost just under $300, just over $300 with shipping. i think the pumps would be kind of ackward to carry in the field. maybe with something designed to carry it with. they are not very heavy, just ackward. i did like the idea of the tank, but not all the complications and life span of them. what ever you decide, enjoy the shooting! john

September 29th, 2009, 6:32 pm #7

I found out some more info.

But First, The tank was past it's hydro test that's why it was so cheap, and I added the $25 for pressure testing. I pick it up Wednesday.
I was refering to the Disco pump. It was $150 where I bought the Disco.

I totally forgot it's a 2000 PSI fill. I was thinking 2800 PSI. That will get me a lot more fills per tank. I found airhog's calculator, and it figured 80 fills from a 3000 PSI - 80 cuft tank. Going from 2000 - 900 PSI fill. That's a lot.

If money became no object, I'd pick up one of those Benjamin 2000 PSI regulated tanks. It cost almost as much as the 80 cuft one. They are supposed to get 7 fills per tank. That would be good enough in the back pack.

September 30th, 2009, 10:58 am #8

I live over in the mid-cities what part of Ft.Worth do you live in? There are several scuba shops in town that sell tanks and what you need to fill your disco.There is a shoot on Oct. 10th in Aledo here is some info if you would like to join us E-mail me @ garrysparks@att.net
i was thinking i could have one in my backpack. maybe too much for a hose/adaptor, though. i think i'm leaning toward getting a good used (swedish, or hill) footpump. i got the disco before i went to see metallica earlier tonight. my ears are still ringing from heavy metal, but man, this disco is LOUD. maybe i can get a used pump from the airforce guys here in ft.worth.

September 30th, 2009, 6:40 pm #9

Bought a Benjamin buddy tank with fill regulator...it fits in my day pack and I get 7-8 fills..on a typical day hunting ground squirrels,I may only use one fill...so tank is good for at least 5-6 trips..I shoot gun down to 1000 psi and refill...

I have a Benjamin hand pump...but hardly use it anymore..one issue is these pumps require maintenance..and in areas of high humidity you stand good chance of getting moisture from pump into your Disco via the tube(reservoir) I would not even trust the pumps with the dry pack filters..

Using a tank for fills is best option..

[/IMG]

Purchased tank rig from AOA..but there are cheaper options out there..

http://www.jdsairman.com/

I use this 80 cu/ft 3000 psi tank for fills at home and matches I shoot my other rifle in...Sport Chalet..$149..(less fill adapter)

[/IMG]

Last edited by richwoods on September 30th, 2009, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 30th, 2009, 8:23 pm #10

I found out some more info.

But First, The tank was past it's hydro test that's why it was so cheap, and I added the $25 for pressure testing. I pick it up Wednesday.
I was refering to the Disco pump. It was $150 where I bought the Disco.

I totally forgot it's a 2000 PSI fill. I was thinking 2800 PSI. That will get me a lot more fills per tank. I found airhog's calculator, and it figured 80 fills from a 3000 PSI - 80 cuft tank. Going from 2000 - 900 PSI fill. That's a lot.

If money became no object, I'd pick up one of those Benjamin 2000 PSI regulated tanks. It cost almost as much as the 80 cuft one. They are supposed to get 7 fills per tank. That would be good enough in the back pack.
fill a smaller tank from a larger tank? smaller tank could be carried in the field. john