Hunter Sport

Hunter Sport

May 5th, 2008, 11:03 pm #1

I have a Hunter Sport and noticed that the barrel does not have a crown. Has anyone ever did a crown on this and was there an improvement?? Thanks...FN

May 7th, 2008, 5:35 am #2

did it on the bigcat. it has the same barrel as the hunter sport. made no difference, couldn't even tell if there was any improvement.

May 7th, 2008, 2:07 pm #3

Well, maybe then I will just leave it alone for now and see if it will improve. I think maybe it just shoots to hard. Thanks,,, Frank

May 8th, 2008, 11:14 am #4

whats it shooting like?

May 8th, 2008, 3:08 pm #5

Well, maybe then I will just leave it alone for now and see if it will improve. I think maybe it just shoots to hard. Thanks,,, Frank
It is not to accurate, close but not repeating well, both with or without a scope. I thought it was the scope at first. I am using good pellets, no cheapies.. It gets the pellets in there but think it could be better... Frank

May 9th, 2008, 8:44 am #6

i have the same thing going on with my big cat. 95% of the time its perfectly dead on at 10meters. the other 5% of the time it flies 1-1.5 inches off the group. i've tried all kinds of pellets(rws super and H points,jsb predators, beeman silverstings, beeman crow magnums, crosman sharps, gamo hunters, etc....)and the only ones closest to perfect is the gamo rockets and second is the cphp's.

i think the rifles barrel is too light or something. i can definitely feel the front wanting to wander, even from a bench. i crowned the barrel and it didn't seem to matter.

May 9th, 2008, 9:55 pm #7

Exactly what I am talking about.. I guess it is the charater.. Won't take much to put a crown on it, I will give it a try. Don't think it would make it worse. Even a little better would help. Thanks,,, Frank

May 15th, 2008, 4:10 pm #8

I worked on my Hunter Sport. I crowned the barrel. Opened it up and everything was dry. The spring was bent. I honed and polished everything and put in another spring I had on hand the same length (10 inch). Put in thrust washers (oillite). Lubed with proper lubes and tar. Results, no twang and don't jump as much. Chrony results were about 50 fps less but the smoothness makes up for that. Shoots about 800 instead of 860 which it was shooting, it does shoot Hunters at 864 fps. It is grouping much better now, quick results were about the size of a quarter at 15 yards. Once I tune in the scope and take more time aiming it should be much better. I will have to see what pellets it likes now.. Frank