Hunter Pro barrel droop

Hunter Pro barrel droop

November 30th, 2006, 5:32 am #1

I just received this rifle this evening, got the barrel all squeaky, inspected everything and it looks pretty good. Then I took a look at the barrel/action alignment. I have a pretty good barrel droop here. I've never encountered this before and would appreciate some words of wisdom from some of you guys who know about it.
I don't know if the scope adjustment will reach it or not because I haven't fired it. It has a 3-9x40 Leapers with a one-piece mount.

November 30th, 2006, 6:12 am #2

Try shooting first to see what it will do.

November 30th, 2006, 6:16 am #3

I just received this rifle this evening, got the barrel all squeaky, inspected everything and it looks pretty good. Then I took a look at the barrel/action alignment. I have a pretty good barrel droop here. I've never encountered this before and would appreciate some words of wisdom from some of you guys who know about it.
I don't know if the scope adjustment will reach it or not because I haven't fired it. It has a 3-9x40 Leapers with a one-piece mount.
I take it you have not fired the rifle.

If you can see barrel droop just send it back.

You can not see the barrel droop that would make the scope not adjustable.Your eyes play games on you when looking at a rifle barrel trying to determine if the barrel droops. Just mount the scope and shoot the rifle, this is the only way to check with out some special jigs to determine the barrel alignment..

November 30th, 2006, 12:27 pm #4

garrett

November 30th, 2006, 3:47 pm #5

Torpedo levels? I did that after I eyeballed it and found that it's definitely drooping. About .015 at the length of the level. That's a bunch!
I'll shoot it this morning to see if the scope will reach, but what I really want to know is how to fix it. I suspect if I return it, I'll probably receive a replacement just like it.
If anyone's interested in this new model's performance, it averaged 916fps with 7.7 gr H&N and 896 with RWS Superdomes.
Last edited by robot2 on November 30th, 2006, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 30th, 2006, 5:48 pm #6

I just fired its first shots, at 10 yards. Printed 3 1/2" low but windage was dead center. It took 3 3/4 revolutions of the adjusting screw to bring it up to center...that's getting very close to maximum, which I'll try today.
Without resorting to doing the math, I'd like to know if any of you guys can tell me what'll happen if I'm able to zero it at 25 yards and then need to take a shot at 50 yards. I mean other than the normal pellet drop, what effect will the barrel droop have on it.

November 30th, 2006, 6:30 pm #7

No effect on the shots once it's zeroed in.

The way I correct barrel droop is that the gap between the barrel and the reciver is to much not letting the barrel sit flush or close enough with the reciver. I just file down the pivot block to allow the barrel to close a bit more.

I only had to do it on a used Quest I bought with a bent barrel when I got a new barrel assembly the barrel would not even come close to shutting untill I fitted the pivot block. It shoots just great now and with no barrel droop at all.

Normaly on all rifles that come with iron sights there is barrel droop built in to them for sighting proposes,not so for scoped rifles there should be none on a scoped rifle.

November 30th, 2006, 6:53 pm #8

Thanks Rich. Since there's no effect on zero when going from 25 to 50 yards, I'll just leave it as is.
BTW, I had to move the crosshairs 3 1/2" higher when first sighting in at 10 yards. Then I moved to the 25 yard target and the hairs were 4" high. Figure that one out!
I'm going to have to contact BSA (Leapers) anyhow because the 3-9x40 scope is bad. At 9 power the target is one big blurr. I can correct the target blurr by adjusting the crosshair adjust ring, but the crosshairs all but disappear. The best this scope will do is 7 power with crisp crosshair focus. Anyone else have this problem with this scope?

November 30th, 2006, 7:25 pm #9

Don't that scope have AO? adjustible objective ?

The way I have been told is to point the scope in the air and adjust the cross hairs till with the eyepiece ring till sharp, so your looking at just the crosshair not any target.

If it has AO then you can fine tune the yardages a little with the eyepice ring, like look at a target a known 30 yards and set the scope to 30 yards and fine tune with the eyepiece ring.

If the eyepiece ring is out of wack the yardages on the objective bell will be off a little.

November 30th, 2006, 7:33 pm #10

It is not an AO scope...which is the way I prefer for my use mostly under 50 yards. This way I don't have to concern myself with adjusting the AO when I change distances.