Hunter FT - Is it a fair statement that Prone is the least used position?

Hunter FT - Is it a fair statement that Prone is the least used position?

April 20th, 2011, 5:27 am #1

Seems like the vast majority want to be sitting up high on a bucket with shooting sticks or a bipod. Seems like Prone would be incredibly stable, especially if one was technically correct in their prone position.

Also, I wonder why most won't use the prone position...Understandably some can't comfortably/physically do it based on physical condition/health issues but aside from medical/biological issues, why do you think its seldom used? Course set up, i.e. obstructions, really high targets, etc?

Regards,

Tony

April 20th, 2011, 5:35 am #2

It is what it is, because it is!!!
Last edited by gregc107 on April 20th, 2011, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 20th, 2011, 11:22 am #3

Seems like the vast majority want to be sitting up high on a bucket with shooting sticks or a bipod. Seems like Prone would be incredibly stable, especially if one was technically correct in their prone position.

Also, I wonder why most won't use the prone position...Understandably some can't comfortably/physically do it based on physical condition/health issues but aside from medical/biological issues, why do you think its seldom used? Course set up, i.e. obstructions, really high targets, etc?

Regards,

Tony
it's tough to shoot THROUGH the terrain when shooting from such a low position, or shoot at high targets like the owl that gets mounted in a tree trunk at DIFTA. Another issue with some east coast FT courses is dealing with critters such as ticks & such! Gettin' lyme disease wouldn't be a fun part of FT match.

April 20th, 2011, 11:40 am #4

Regards,

Tony
but there are obsticles like Ed expalined that can come into play so if you want to be flexible and use all the shooting positions one maybe fairly sucessful. If my weight would start disappearing and my knees were better that would be a shooting position I would most likely use. Ticks do Love me though and those black crawley things in Baton Rouge took a shinein too!
P.S Oh!, I forgot the BEE's!
Last edited by dayjd on April 20th, 2011, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 20th, 2011, 12:44 pm #5

Regards,

Tony
after matches

April 20th, 2011, 1:09 pm #6

Ha! 'Nice one, Larry. nt

April 20th, 2011, 1:42 pm #7

It is what it is, because it is!!!

April 20th, 2011, 1:46 pm #8

it's tough to shoot THROUGH the terrain when shooting from such a low position, or shoot at high targets like the owl that gets mounted in a tree trunk at DIFTA. Another issue with some east coast FT courses is dealing with critters such as ticks & such! Gettin' lyme disease wouldn't be a fun part of FT match.
Does the normal sprays on clothing and skin keep em off or what? Ticks and Lyme disease are a nasty situation!

Regards,

Tony

April 20th, 2011, 1:51 pm #9

but there are obsticles like Ed expalined that can come into play so if you want to be flexible and use all the shooting positions one maybe fairly sucessful. If my weight would start disappearing and my knees were better that would be a shooting position I would most likely use. Ticks do Love me though and those black crawley things in Baton Rouge took a shinein too!
P.S Oh!, I forgot the BEE's!
Them ticks be takin' to ya! Not fun!!!

Hmmm, sounds like out East, the courses and critters dictate the buckets and off hand shooting!

BTW,'nice scope you are selling!

Regards,

Tony

April 20th, 2011, 1:52 pm #10

after matches