"Hunter Class" equipment , setup and a little how -to

"Hunter Class" equipment , setup and a little how -to

April 15th, 2011, 5:47 am #1

I,m not much of a writer, but if this helps anyone having problems I`m glad to make some contribution. This is just my opinion on the best set-up.
1) Any PCP shooting about 880 with JSBH or CPH 3/4 or better in almost no wind at 50 yds with a power adjuster.
2) Crono before shooting to confirm or adjust power. Credit to Harold Rushton for this Jewel.
3) Any scope with ranging ability and mil-dot. Bushnell 8-32/6-24. Old Tasco 8-40 side focus etc. Confirm and adjust scope to level from 10-55 in no-low wind for reticule tilt.
4) Bi-Pod with tilt secured to gun with easy adjustments.
5) Scope at about 2.5in-2.7in above barrel center for flatter trajectory at longer ranges. 35yd 0 about 1-4 mil down 40, 1/2 at 45, 3/4 at 50, bottom 1 mil down at 55.
6) Seat or bucket as low as you are comfortable.
7) Position- elbows on knees, one hand on for end at Bi-Pod. head in same place each shot.
8) Range finding at 12X- Yes it`s possible but... Watch that first shot placement. you may be 1-2 yds off on the close ones or 3-10 yds of on the long ones...Adjust accordingly. Practiceing on shot up painted metal and notes on lighting conditions helps. Noticing where your objective comes into focus at all ranges and making notes helps more.
9) Wind flags- 5 or 6 flags to use in practice helps in learning how much hold-off to use on windy days, including the one on your gun. "Practice on windy days" Credit to Harold Rushton on this one also.
10) Two point sling- these can help a lot on the offhand a kneeling lanes. A kneeling roll or rolled up bumbag is also helpful on the kneeling lane.
11) Focus of practice on the small KZs, range finding,conditions and positions can make these tough shots possible or at least prevent you from being psyched out in a match.
12) Whenever lucky enough to be squadded with one of the more successful shooters in a match, observing their technique and noting what they are doing that may set them apart from the average shooter can raise answers to questions that could be asked between lanes...
Hope to see lot`s more in the Hunter class at this years National`s at the GOB in Pulaski,TN ...c

April 15th, 2011, 2:16 pm #2

-bp

April 15th, 2011, 5:33 pm #3

I,m not much of a writer, but if this helps anyone having problems I`m glad to make some contribution. This is just my opinion on the best set-up.
1) Any PCP shooting about 880 with JSBH or CPH 3/4 or better in almost no wind at 50 yds with a power adjuster.
2) Crono before shooting to confirm or adjust power. Credit to Harold Rushton for this Jewel.
3) Any scope with ranging ability and mil-dot. Bushnell 8-32/6-24. Old Tasco 8-40 side focus etc. Confirm and adjust scope to level from 10-55 in no-low wind for reticule tilt.
5) Scope at about 2.5in-2.7in above barrel center for flatter trajectory at longer ranges. 35yd 0 about 1-4 mil down 40, 1/2 at 45, 3/4 at 50, bottom 1 mil down at 55.
7) Position- elbows on knees, one hand on for end at Bi-Pod. head in same place each shot.
8) Range finding at 12X- Yes it`s possible but... Watch that first shot placement. you may be 1-2 yds off on the close ones or 3-10 yds of on the long ones...Adjust accordingly. Practiceing on shot up painted metal and notes on lighting conditions helps. Noticing where your objective comes into focus at all ranges and making notes helps more.
9) Wind flags- 5 or 6 flags to use in practice helps in learning how much hold-off to use on windy days, including the one on your gun. "Practice on windy days" Credit to Harold Rushton on this one also.
10) Two point sling- these can help a lot on the offhand a kneeling lanes. A kneeling roll or rolled up bumbag is also helpful on the kneeling lane.
11) Focus of practice on the small KZs, range finding,conditions and positions can make these tough shots possible or at least prevent you from being psyched out in a match.
12) Whenever lucky enough to be squadded with one of the more successful shooters in a match, observing their technique and noting what they are doing that may set them apart from the average shooter can raise answers to questions that could be asked between lanes...
Hope to see lot`s more in the Hunter class at this years National`s at the GOB in Pulaski,TN ...c
very thoughtful of you, charles...and congrats! (NT)

April 15th, 2011, 6:11 pm #4

I notice you don't list any of the 3-12, 4-16 etc type of scopes. In your experience do you need those scopes with either larger objectives and/or longer focal lengths to get maximum range-finding ability? Just curious what you have found to be the biggest contributing factor. I've also seen guys shoot well with fixed 10x scopes - is it preference then or is there a material advantage?

All I know is I need to make up my mind on class... so far I've been shooting hunter but with a 12fpe rig. Challenging to say the least.

Casey

Where I'm learning to shoot FT - come check it out!

CASA Member - California Airgun Shooters Association: http://forums.delphiforums.com/casaclub/?

April 15th, 2011, 6:37 pm #5

That's a "double whammy"... But, you're probably learning quite a bit.

I'd definitely consider one or the other: (a) HFT (12x scope), as close to 20fpe as possible (most likely PCP); or (b) WFTF (12fpe limit), with 24x+ scope (here you can consider PCP or Piston, since there are 2 separate divisions)

Good luck,
HookEm

**EDIT**
Correction, I meant 24x+ for WFTF (or open classes)... although I prefer 32x or more.
Last edited by HookEm on April 15th, 2011, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2011, 6:45 pm #6

I like the shot count and noise levels (for practice at home) of the 12fpe WFTF plus at this point I don't want to do stools, bipods etc although I could always shoot hunter from the sitting position.

With the equipment I currently have (Marauder .177) and Bushnell Legend 5-15x I guess the choice should be clear - HFT. I've already got the gear, just power it up to 18-20fpe and go for it.

To go WFTF I'd need to move the scope so I could buy another - but then I'm squarely in the ZOS/Osprey/China price range. While I'm willing to save for the future I'm just wondering if having a cheap scope like that will cause more frustration than anything else.

Decisions....

Where I'm learning to shoot FT - come check it out!

CASA Member - California Airgun Shooters Association: http://forums.delphiforums.com/casaclub/?

-bp

April 15th, 2011, 7:18 pm #7

even my utg 4-16x56 is cheap (under 200 bucks) it's okay, but it's no schmidt & bender.

but WFTF means you'd be going for the higher magnification (i use only 12x in HFT) and one thing you don't want in cheap optics is high power. it's like making gears out of pot metal. just look through an ultra low priced spotting scope for an example.

cheap scopes and high magnification are a bad mix. i'm cheap and i know

-bp

-bp

April 15th, 2011, 7:23 pm #8

That's a "double whammy"... But, you're probably learning quite a bit.

I'd definitely consider one or the other: (a) HFT (12x scope), as close to 20fpe as possible (most likely PCP); or (b) WFTF (12fpe limit), with 24x+ scope (here you can consider PCP or Piston, since there are 2 separate divisions)

Good luck,
HookEm

**EDIT**
Correction, I meant 24x+ for WFTF (or open classes)... although I prefer 32x or more.
i never knew i was up against such lousy odds

actually, since i changed my method of pellet seating, i may be running at almost 13FPE (and 12x).

maybe i'll do better this year

stay well

-bp

April 15th, 2011, 7:30 pm #9

I have tested few 12X max scopes because few quality makers have what I prefer. Mil-Dot, Side focus and 50mm or larger Objective.I have no use for cheep glass anymore due to glare and other optical issues ...c

April 15th, 2011, 10:14 pm #10

i never knew i was up against such lousy odds

actually, since i changed my method of pellet seating, i may be running at almost 13FPE (and 12x).

maybe i'll do better this year

stay well

-bp